OK I AM GOING TO ASK IT....

DABIGCHEEZ

Original Poster
I know about the pool hopping rules but this is a bit different... I am a DVC member stay off property this time(a few reasons for that). We are not going to any of the parks this year but my wife and kids want to go shopping at DTD one day and wanted to know if we could possibly swim at SSR or OKW pools on this day. Is this allowed for DVCers if they are not staying on property?

Never had this situation... so I need to know. Thanks in advance.

melflip8

It may not be "officially" allowed, but to my knowledge the only pool they check room keys are for the Yacht and Beach Club's Stormalong Bay. You should be cool to post up and get your swim on! :)

wilkeliza

I know about the pool hopping rules but this is a bit different... I am a DVC member stay off property this time(a few reasons for that). We are not going to any of the parks this year but my wife and kids want to go shopping at DTD one day and wanted to know if we could possibly swim at SSR or OKW pools on this day. Is this allowed for DVCers if they are not staying on property?

Never had this situation... so I need to know. Thanks in advance.

Just know if the pool gets busy they may ask for your room key. Do you have anything proving you are a DVC member? I can't remember the specific DVC rules but this is one of those situations where if it is against your DVC agreement and against Disney policy do you really want to teach your kids it is okay to break rules because they really really wanted a day at the pool? Just some food for thought.

You could get yourself into some trouble if you are caught and although they only check room keys at Beach Club and now Art of Animation that doesn't mean they don't ever ask everywhere else.

DABIGCHEEZ

Original Poster
Just know if the pool gets busy they may ask for your room key. Do you have anything proving you are a DVC member?

You could get yourself into some trouble if you are caught and although they only check room keys at Beach Club and now Art of Animation that doesn't mean they don't ever ask everywhere else.

I will have my DVC Member ID... is that proof enough that I am a member?:D I have been at all the DVC pools and have never been asked to show my room key. The only time is when we rent bikes or use equipment from the community halls.

I figure if they check, I can just say that melflip8 said it would be OK. ;)

Now really does anyone have the real answer here... and not just trying to give me a parenting lesson. Thanks. Slappy... where are you???

wilkeliza

I will have my DVC Member ID... is that proof enough that I am a member?:D I have been at all the DVC pools and have never been asked to show my room key. The only time is when we rent bikes or use equipment from the community halls.

Now really does anyone have the real answer here... and not just trying to give me a parenting lesson. Thanks. Slappy... where are you???

First off I wasn't trying to give you a parenting lesson I simply said they sometimes check key cards and just because yours hasn't been checked doesn't mean they haven't done it to others. I have had mine checked at regular property hotels when the main pool was over crowded and was told that if I wanted a more pleasant experience to check out on of the pools that each area had. This was several years ago now at Caribbean Beach.

If you don't want answers from board members because you don't like what you get why not just call DVC and ask them directly? They will give you the true policy and then you can decide from there for yourself if the risk is worth it or not.

I know this topic has come up in the past and every time the answer has been official policy says no you are not suppose to use the pools while not vacationing with your points but I will admit I am not a DVC member so I don't know the real rules just what has been said here countless times.

DABIGCHEEZ

Original Poster
Well I went digging on the DVC member website and eventually got my answer...No I can not use the pools unless I am using my point for my stay.

And wilkeliza... I ask a question expecting to get the answer and no addition comments. Your answer could have been given without the parenting comment. For all you know my daughter could be 25 years old. I knew all about the key checks and such aas we have been members for over 10 years... just never had this unique situation occuring. Uusally DVCers will answer other DVCers in here but thanks for the answer though.

Oh and that's the last time I'll listen to melflip8... as I was really looking to get my swim on at SSR!:p

tjkraz

Well I went digging on the DVC member website and eventually got my answer...No I can not use the pools unless I am using my point for my stay.

Correct. Pool use is available only to members staying at a resort on their points.

If Disney / DVC allowed members to use the pool at any time, worst case scenario would be hundreds or thousands of locals buying small resale contracts and using the Disney resorts as their own country club at virtually no cost. Resort facilities aren't built to handle that sort of demand.

:confused:

And wilkeliza... I ask a question expecting to get the answer and no addition comments. Your answer could have been given without the parenting comment. For all you know my daughter could be 25 years old. I knew all about the key checks and such aas we have been members for over 10 years... just never had this unique situation occuring. Uusally DVCers will answer other DVCers in here but thanks for the answer though.

Oh and that's the last time I'll listen to melflip8... as I was really looking to get my swim on at SSR!:p

Really on this site you ask a question and expect not to get comments from the peanut gallery. It is understood that there will be answers and comments you may not like. This is what makes this site fun and interesting. ;)

slappy magoo

Sorry I got to the dance late :D Glad you found your answer. And for what it's worth, I didn't take wilkeliza's comment as a lecture, or at least not the kind of lecture you took it to be. It didn't come across as a finger-wagging "what kind of lessons are you teaching your children oh the shame if it all!" to me. It was more of a "Do you want to run the risk of looking like a yutz in front of your kids?" thing. It's not about "Do you want to teach your children it's OK to break rules to get what you want," but "do you want to be the guy who's told by Disney security 'I'm sorry, you and your family need to go' in front of your kids, forced to leave the pool, people looking at you, laughing at you, telling THEIR kids what you were doing, blah blah blah Granted, the odds of that happening may be slim to none, just as a person probably won't be towed if he parks in the lot of the Contemporary and walk to MK, or the same at Y&BC and walking to Epcot. But just because it probably won't happen doesn't it mean it definitely won't, and sometimes even the possibility is enough to keep people on the straight and narrow.

Todd L

The Little Pool in Congress Park at SSR is really close to Dtd and Is pretty empty ..might be your best bet!! Great Views Of Dtd too!!

mickey2008.1

Slappy makes a good point, and after reading it, I dont think I would ever take that chance. I have seen people checked and sent out looking rather stupified.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom