Ohio State Championship parade

OSUgirl77

According to the ad campaign The OSU mascot Brutus is supposed to be honored with a parade. Anyone have an idea when?

Big Buckeyes fan and I'd like to head over but haven't heard anything yet.

No, but I wish I could be there when it happens! I'm guessing it will be in the next few days.

erstwo

With the Super Bowl, it's the MVP,the very next day. Very rushed - I guess the MVP must sleep on the plane. That way the MVP can be home for the celebrations in the teams hometown.
I guess this is new for the playoffs? I have no memory of Aubie heading to WDW in January 2011?

OSUgirl77

Might it have something to do with the players accepting gifts/money and hosing their NCAA eligibility? Can't pay them for the commercial and the value of the trip might be over the limits?
That's possible, although I think the teams that played in the Citrus Bowl got to go to WDW. It might just be because the kids have to get back to class. Either way, I can't find anything about when the parade will be online. I saw people asking about it on Twitter and on the Disney Parks blog, but no one ever answered them...helpful. :rolleyes:

jewel14

Thanks for posting this thread NearTheEars! It was the only link that finally showed up in my google searches to find out the same thing. After several google searches, I finally called Disney and they said the university sets the schedule for when/if they attend. So I called the university and of course was transferred several times during which I found out that the TEAM will not attend as classes started yesterday and they have to get back to their schedules. I continued to search to find out if Brutus was actually participating in a Disney parage and finally the head of the Spirit Squad emailed me back (very quickly) and said Brutus would not be attending, there is only time for him to do pictures and commercials only. So at least that settles it....no Disney trip for OH-IO. :) Still, so happy they won!

NearTheEars

Original Poster
Thanks for posting this thread NearTheEars! It was the only link that finally showed up in my google searches to find out the same thing. After several google searches, I finally called Disney and they said the university sets the schedule for when/if they attend. So I called the university and of course was transferred several times during which I found out that the TEAM will not attend as classes started yesterday and they have to get back to their schedules. I continued to search to find out if Brutus was actually participating in a Disney parage and finally the head of the Spirit Squad emailed me back (very quickly) and said Brutus would not be attending, there is only time for him to do pictures and commercials only. So at least that settles it....no Disney trip for OH-IO. :) Still, so happy they won!

So false advertising then haha. Oh well, no excuse to go in late to work now.

psherman42

Might it have something to do with the players accepting gifts/money and hosing their NCAA eligibility? Can't pay them for the commercial and the value of the trip might be over the limits?
I see this has already been resolved but I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with it since the bands of the teams in the bowls in the area typically perform in the parks (both in Florida and California). Also, last year they had a small parade for UCF after they won the Fiesta Bowl that included the entire team.

OSUgirl77

Thanks for trying! :)

Dwarful

Thanks for sharing. Big U of I fans here, BUT our hometown boy made good so we all have some Ohio State pride right now. I'm from a town called Alton...which is home to a player by the name of Ezekiel Elliott...he got a little bit of play time this year. ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Screw the NCAA. They've made $$$$ off these kids, many of whom won't end up with that lucrative pro career. If the Championship game had been in the Rose Bowl, why not a trip to Disneyland for the winner? Need to stop pretending they are "student-athletes", which may end, thanks to NW players.

Good game, Buckeyes.

OSUgirl77

Screw the NCAA. They've made $$$$ off these kids, many of whom won't end up with that lucrative pro career. If the Championship game had been in the Rose Bowl, why not a trip to Disneyland for the winner? Need to stop pretending they are "student-athletes", which may end, thanks to NW players.

Good game, Buckeyes.
Can't like this enough. Well said.

dreamfinder

I see this has already been resolved but I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with it since the bands of the teams in the bowls in the area typically perform in the parks (both in Florida and California). Also, last year they had a small parade for UCF after they won the Fiesta Bowl that included the entire team.

Those are two different things. Bands have nothing to do with NCAA. If they get a free trip, doesn't affect any eligibility at all. RE UCF, it's a heck of alot easier to fit a $90 ticket into the freebie allotment than it is for flights, hotels, etc. UCF is local, so $500 for a few charter buses is something they can pay for out of a general fund vs many thousands for planes and hotels. Heck, the championship group had to get an NCAA exemption to help pay for students parents to attend the championship game, and that was capped at a spend per parent and student. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nd-the-college-football-playoff-championship/) The student athletes themselves are subject to a much more rigid standard. When LeBron arranged for the Ohio State team to all get Beats headphones, the following numbers were mentioned
Schools are allowed to give their players gifts worth $400 for the national championship game, and the winning team can give an additional $415 in gifts to its players. The value of the Beats By Dre headphones will be deducted from that amount.

The amount deducted is normally the wholesale price of the item, not what it sells for at retail. The headphones given by Beats By Dre to the players cost close to $300 at retail, which would put the gift at a wholesale price of about $175.

I'd wager most of the team would rather a new watch or sunglasses instead of blowing the entire gift allotment on a plane ride and 1 day ticket to WDW (hotel might even put them over the $415 limit)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Don't get me started about the NCAA - I can rant for days.

If the NCAA was TRULY concerned about "student-athletes" then their primary focus would be:

1. Ensuring the safety and well being of those athletes, i.e., regulations protecting the players from injury and making sure they receive proper medical care - which also means no pill pushing or drugs
2. Making sure that institutions meet a minimum graduation rate of 90% for its "student-athletes"
3. Making sure the outcome of games aren't fixed via point shaving

Everything else is just protecting their revenue stream. So what if some football players decide to trade autographed jerseys for tattoos? Did that "infraction" warrant the penalties OSU received? Did Reggie Bush's parents getting a great rate on renting a home in LA warrant him returning his Heisman and USC vacating wins and a national championship? And so what if Cam Newton's dad shopped him around schools. It's done in the corporate world and they are called head hunters. Should Gurley have been suspended for selling his autograph? Isn't your signature an innate part of YOU and thus you can do with it what you want? And if a student violates a particular institution's student conduct code, that's the institution's concern, not the NCAA.

We can only hope that the successful lawsuit brought by players at Northwestern will end the madness called the NCAA. And I've read that they are considering giving back Penn State those wins - which never should have been vacated in the first place.

And after I'm done ranting about the NCAA I will tackle the institutions themselves....

NearTheEars

Original Poster
image.jpg
And here ya go:

NearTheEars

Original Poster
Yeah...definitely not a parade.

Which is unfortunate since the official Parks blog had released this statement about the ad campaign:

"If you haven’t seen the spot yet, mascots from the University of Alabama, Florida State University, The Ohio State University and the University of Oregon are passing the time at an airport, hoping their team wins the National Championship so one of them will get to fly off to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida to represent their school for a celebratory parade similar to how countless marquee sports heroes have celebrated after the big game. Check it out – it’ll make you smile."

OSUgirl77

Which is unfortunate since the official Parks blog had released this statement about the ad campaign:

"If you haven’t seen the spot yet, mascots from the University of Alabama, Florida State University, The Ohio State University and the University of Oregon are passing the time at an airport, hoping their team wins the National Championship so one of them will get to fly off to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida to represent their school for a celebratory parade similar to how countless marquee sports heroes have celebrated after the big game. Check it out – it’ll make you smile."
I had read that as well. I'm assuming a parade had been the original plan, maybe circumstances prevented it from actually happening? Either way, it's very disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom