Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

Brer Oswald

What notable thing did Zach do?
Well, he has a cool last name
1E0F7106-8252-482E-BBF0-CA3E45C6C605.gif

Disneyson

I wrote five responses and deleted all because they seemed too mean-spirited after being typed out. His reputation within the industry isn’t strong, and there’s a reason you never heard his name until he was magically a portfolio director.

Zach was promoted because he supports Iger and Chapek’s vision of the parks and its attractions. Read into that as you will.
As I said on page... two, yikes... I think that it's very possible that he has ideas in his head. I also think that he looks to be passionate about what he does. I like his instagram. There are things in there that I really appreciate, and while the anecdotes aren't revolutionary, he seems to have ideas about architecture (I like his 'Barcelona Pavillion' post series). He seems to get the original intention of many of the design choices in the park. But I also think that he is probably very good at following orders, re-creating animated films, and filling briefs in safe, unsurprising ways. But I mean look. He still has his job, who's laughing? If someone with genuine appreciation for the parks can eek by in the hopes that he'll have a big break (meaning the ability to do something original)... I mean. Who among us would do differently?

I also think my gay Disney butt thinks he's handsome and I can't help but cynically think that this makes him well-suited to be a company face. I have had experience with personal stories of the underbelly of corporate Disney and I don't want to go there, but I fear that looks play a role, nefarious or benign. It's also good to note that he's a pretty good public speaker, and he doesn't make me feel uncomfortable like other Imagineers when they read scripted dialogue, which is a BIG plus in my book.

I don't have very many things to say about his work, considering that it's hard to tell what he had his hand in, what his signature is -- but perhaps that's the point, maybe his signature is copying the styles of the films he's assigned. His recent projects appear to be Shanghai, M&MRR, and EPCOT, all directly based on IP - and now EPCOT is getting stripped of most of those "original" design elements, intrusive as they might have been, like the Festival Pavilion. His whole deal seems to be taking animated movies and existing IP that have been given to him and trying to figure out a compelling way to underpin the IP with a narrative that gives an added layer for the fans that expect more thoughtful storytelling (the re-entry streaks that scar the Guardians coaster, or the M&MRR whistle, these sorts of 'details' that get a lot of play in panels because there may be a lack of original detail otherwise due to the recreation aspect of the attraction).

It might be the handsome fogging my brain, and I don't mean to sound like an apologist, but I think we ought to see how some of his newer projects turn out before making big judgment calls. Maybe there is, indeed, more to it than a whistle.

Last edited:

tirian

As I said on page... two, yikes... I think that it's very possible that he has ideas in his head. I also think that he looks to be passionate about what he does. I like his instagram. There are things in there that I really appreciate, and while the anecdotes aren't revolutionary, he seems to have ideas about architecture (I like his 'Barcelona Pavillion' post series). He seems to get the original intention of many of the design choices in the park. But I also think that he is probably very good at following orders, re-creating animated films, and filling briefs in safe, unsurprising ways. But I mean look. He still has his job, who's laughing? If someone with genuine appreciation for the parks can eek by in the hopes that he'll have a big break (meaning the ability to do something original)... I mean. Who among us would do differently?

I also think my gay Disney butt thinks he's handsome and I can't help but cynically think that this makes him well-suited to be a company face. I have had experience with personal stories of the underbelly of corporate Disney and I don't want to go there, but I fear that looks play a role, nefarious or benign. It's also good to note that he's a pretty good public speaker, and he doesn't make me feel uncomfortable like other Imagineers when they read scripted dialogue, which is a BIG plus in my book.

I don't have very many things to say about his work, considering that it's hard to tell what he had his hand in, what his signature is -- but perhaps that's the point, maybe his signature is copying the styles of the films he's assigned. His recent projects appear to be Shanghai, M&MRR, and EPCOT, all directly based on IP - and now EPCOT is getting stripped of most of those "original" design elements, intrusive as they might have been, like the Festival Pavilion. His whole deal seems to be taking animated movies and existing IP that have been given to him and trying to figure out a compelling way to underpin the IP with a narrative that gives an added layer for the fans that expect more thoughtful storytelling (the re-entry streaks that scar the Guardians coaster, or the M&MRR whistle, these sorts of 'details' that get a lot of play in panels because there may be a lack of original detail otherwise due to the recreation aspect of the attraction).

It might be the handsome fogging my brain, and I don't mean to sound like an apologist, but I think we ought to see how some of his newer projects turn out before making big judgment calls. Maybe there is, indeed, more to it than a whistle.
You realize the position of Portfolio Director is already a judgment call, right? People don’t get promoted to Portfolio Director over Disney’s biggest resort because a CEO hopes it might be a big break.

Painted re-entry marks on a coaster car? Are we really going to go with that? I’m not sure if it’s strong enough. ;)

He pushes the IP as Chapek and Iger wish.

Everything else you mentioned is extraneous. Joe Rohde and Tom Fitzgerald are certainly not handsome men. ;) 🤣

Last edited:

PostScott

Bro....
Coincidence? I think not. Someone from Micechat must be reading from here lol. I mean it's a clever and good name but... this is basically stealing. The chance they came up with this title by themselves is very slim and the way they changed it slightly just shows that they read it here first. Maybe they did actually think of this without looking on these forums, but I'd like to argue otherwise.
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.08.21 AM.png

Disneyson

You realize the position of Portfolio Director is already a judgment call, right? People don’t get promoted to Portfolio Director over Disney’s biggest resort because a CEO hopes it might be a big break.

Painted re-entry marks on a coaster car? Are we really going to go with that?

He pushes the IP as Chapek and Iger wish.

Everything else you mentioned is extraneous. Joe Rohde and Tom Fitzgerald are certainly not handsome men. ;) 🤣

Oh no, that’s exactly what I’m saying, I think there is very little substance here, I’m just trying to be positive.

What I mean to say is, he seems to be portfolio director of a portfolio of assignments given to him, rather than the creator of anything truly interesting like Joe Rhode. As you say (and as I said), he’s pushing the things people tell him. He is not willing to stand up for integrity because otherwise he will lose his job like people who did.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. The re-entry marks and the damn whistle are examples of things that make me very sad and in fact angry as a fan. I feel as though I am being thrown a bone with only a little bit of gristle for dinner and see people like Riddley pointing to the gristle saying LOOK LOOK AT THIS LOVELY PIECE OF FAT HERE EAT IT UP AND THEN BUY ALL OF IT’S MERCH. It is an insult to people that do serious research and world building like Joe, and speak to the dry panels we’ve had recently where, when asked to come up with something we may not know about the attraction, they resort to talking about the exit gift shop?

I also understand that his looks are extraneous, and I hope I characterized it as such. I know stories of harrowing experiences and bad corporate culture in Disney having to do with looks - people valued for looks receiving promotions and other things that, again, I would be happy to discuss in a PM but do not think are great to talk about here. It is a problem. Look, I’m happy to listen to him rather than another scripted imagineer is all I’m saying because he makes it sound more realistic. I have no illusions thought that it’s just a matter of delivery.

At the least, I do not find him actively problematic like Charita, who literally came up through finance and almost exclusively works with value engineering and projections, though if that’s the bar we’re going to set moving forward... Well.

Again, pointing out flaws but hoping for the best.

tirian

Oh no, that’s exactly what I’m saying, I think there is very little substance here, I’m just trying to be positive.

What I mean to say is, he seems to be portfolio director of a portfolio of assignments given to him, rather than the creator of anything truly interesting like Joe Rhode. As you say (and as I said), he’s pushing the things people tell him. He is not willing to stand up for integrity because otherwise he will lose his job like people who did.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. The re-entry marks and the damn whistle are examples of things that make me very sad and in fact angry as a fan. I feel as though I am being thrown a bone with only a little bit of gristle for dinner and see people like Riddley pointing to the gristle saying LOOK LOOK AT THIS LOVELY PIECE OF FAT HERE EAT IT UP AND THEN BUY ALL OF IT’S MERCH. It is an insult to people that do serious research and world building like Joe, and speak to the dry panels we’ve had recently where, when asked to come up with something we may not know about the attraction, they resort to talking about the exit gift shop?

I also understand that his looks are extraneous, and I hope I characterized it as such. I know stories of harrowing experiences and bad corporate culture in Disney having to do with looks - people valued for looks receiving promotions and other things that, again, I would be happy to discuss in a PM but do not think are great to talk about here. It is a problem. Look, I’m happy to listen to him rather than another scripted imagineer is all I’m saying because he makes it sound more realistic. I have no illusions thought that it’s just a matter of delivery.

At the least, I do not find him actively problematic like Charita, who literally came up through finance and almost exclusively works with value engineering and projections, though if that’s the bar we’re going to set moving forward... Well.

Again, pointing out flaws but hoping for the best.
First, I’m glad you caught my joking tone! :)

But yeah, these promotions are concerning, and dare I say — problematic. As many of us have said, at this point the company is simply a conglomerate, and it’s going to be operated that way. It doesn’t mean everything is doom-and-gloom or we’ll never have nice things again, but it does mean whatever we get will be designed for slick marketing and cash grabs.

Disneyson

First, I’m glad you caught my joking tone! :)

But yeah, these promotions are concerning, and dare I say — problematic. As many of us have said, at this point the company is simply a conglomerate, and it’s going to be operated that way. It doesn’t mean everything is doom-and-gloom or we’ll never have nice things again, but it does mean whatever we get will be designed for slick marketing and cash grabs.
Ugh. I’m sorry - as you can tell from me being on a Walt Disney World fan site, I am indeed a rabid fan that can get blinders.

💯. Total agree. Like, oh, I dunno, Happy Meal toys, or...

(To be fair, it’s working, the Dinosaur toy with Aladar must be mine.)

lazyboy97o

Bro....
Coincidence? I think not. Someone from Micechat must be reading from here lol. I mean it's a clever and good name but... this is basically stealing. The chance they came up with this title by themselves is very slim and the way they changed it slightly just shows that they read it here first. Maybe they did actually think of this without looking on these forums, but I'd like to argue otherwise. View attachment 515297
"Say it ain't so, Joe" is a 100 year old saying referencing Shoeless Joe Jackson and the fixing of the 1919 World Series.

Brer Oswald

Bro....
Coincidence? I think not. Someone from Micechat must be reading from here lol. I mean it's a clever and good name but... this is basically stealing. The chance they came up with this title by themselves is very slim and the way they changed it slightly just shows that they read it here first. Maybe they did actually think of this without looking on these forums, but I'd like to argue otherwise. View attachment 515297
Not the first site to steal from these forums.

If I’m not mistaken, Inside The Magic took a forum post I made on here, made an article and said I was “some user on Reddit”.

trainplane3

They’ll have to find another marketable fan favourite now. If there’s any left.
Duh, we have Zach! He's the cool guy with a cool plan for Epcot! He said "Dreamfinder" last week!! DREEEAAAMMFFFIIINNDDERRRR. HE GETS US.
Oh wait a second-
I wrote five responses and deleted all because they seemed too mean-spirited after being typed out. His reputation within the industry isn’t strong, and there’s a reason you never heard his name until he was magically a portfolio director.

Zach was promoted because he supports Iger and Chapek’s vision of the parks and its attractions. Read into that as you will.
Ever since they announced that and I tried looking him up, I felt that was the case. It always feels...off...when he talks about Epcot during the various PR events. It's always felt fake. Even when Fitzgerald spoke about the overhaul it felt off but at least the guys had a good reputation and did noteworthy (read as "good things) in the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom