Oga's Cantina at Disney's Hollywood Studios

rkleinlein

When we heard there was going to be a SW land, DH and I were excited, thinking they'd make a Mos Eisley(?) area with familiar characters and a restaurant, either TS or QS, like the cantina with the cool alien band. There could be rooms off from a central area so all could see & hear the band, and opportunities for character interaction. Oh well....
Exactly. It could have been a hub of activity--exotic food and drinks, entertainment, atmosphere, characters--and it would have been wildly popular. And wildly profitable for the company: they could have made a killing selling $15 kool-aids to the crowds. But there's not enough room for the crowds to get in. Such a lost opportunity. It's really incomprehensible.

drod1985

When we heard there was going to be a SW land, DH and I were excited, thinking they'd make a Mos Eisley(?) area with familiar characters and a restaurant, either TS or QS, like the cantina with the cool alien band. There could be rooms off from a central area so all could see & hear the band, and opportunities for character interaction. Oh well....

Sounds like you're describing the table service restaurant. The concept art basically had all of that. Still don't comprehend why they delayed the TSR. They need to fast track it ASAP.

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. It could have been a hub of activity--exotic food and drinks, entertainment, atmosphere, characters--and it would have been wildly popular. And wildly profitable for the company: they could have made a killing selling $15 kool-aids to the crowds. But there's not enough room for the crowds to get in. Such a lost opportunity. It's really incomprehensible.
THAT is the exact point I was trying to make in my earlier post about Boston.

Jon81uk

I know it doesn't help your situation, but the venues have very low capacity. It really wouldn't take much for them to be filled. Even with low crowds in the park, Oga's would easily be at capacity nearly all the time.

and this is the biggest thing I don't understand about Galaxy's Edge. Why didn't they build 2-4 identical cantinas with a shared entrance corridor and doors that only open to the one that you are being admitted to. They could have kept the small feel to the place but had the capacity that is needed and if they don't get the bookings one week then keep one room shut.
The walkways are wide and spacious, but there is no provision to handle the crowds that want to experience the attractions.

ToTBellHop

and this is the biggest thing I don't understand about Galaxy's Edge. Why didn't they build 2-4 identical cantinas with a shared entrance corridor and doors that only open to the one that you are being admitted to. They could have kept the small feel to the place but had the capacity that is needed and if they don't get the bookings one week then keep one room shut.
The walkways are wide and spacious, but there is no provision to handle the crowds that want to experience the attractions.
Because this was meant to be a lounge for those waiting to enter the attached TSR that they didn’t build.

Jon81uk

Because this was meant to be a lounge for those waiting to enter the attached TSR that they didn’t build.
But even then it would have been more popular, far more people would want to visit the cantina that the full restaurant. They could even have done one attached to the TSR and 2/3 more for drinks only guests.

KikoKea

Yep. But, it is just typical of the way Disney is doing things now. SW is arguably one of their most popular IPs, yet they give us 2 rides for a whole land many fans are not familiar with, no TS, nothing for little kids, and apparently little streetmosphere or reason to linger in the area. While I'm not crazy over character dining, this would have been an amazing opportunity and a real kid-pleaser.

The_Jobu

My answer: three cantinas. Keep the Marketplace cantina, add a First Order cantina near the First Order shop and a Resistance cantina near the new ride. Same menu at all three, save for one site specific drink at each. Each can be themed accordingly.

I would love to buy one of those first order caps and sit around complaining about things in a first order pub.

Rider

I got in yesterday after they started talking walk-ups in the late afternoon. Drinks were nice and I would like to go back and try more, two was not enough!

DSC_3122.jpg
DSC_3123.jpg
DSC_3124.jpg
DSC_3128.jpg
DSC_3131.jpg

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Well....Oga's is THAT place. WOW! The atmosphere is exciting, the detailed themeing found everywhere (right down to some of the cups your drinks are served in) and the "acting" of the Cast are exceptional. Are the drinks pricey, yes. But they are great with just the right about of alcohol content to give you a buzz without getting drunk. Oga's surpasses Trader Sam's in my book in basically every way. We were not able to snag a reservation but thank the three suns they were taking walk-ups. It was a right place at the right time situation and we took advantage. Now that being said, my gosh it is small. You can tell this was not designed to handle the crowds it attracts (nor the size of some of the Guests). To me, that is a huge failure. My friends and I will definitely be returning to GE simply to experience this place.
68505013_10216638267423193_7816754502064668672_n.jpg

What was the approximate spend on what's pictured including tax/tip?

wserratore1963

We will attempt to get anywhere near Olga's during the opening weekend. I did receive a call from guest relations in response to my email about AP sneak peaks and AR's for Olga's. They were very nice and offered me a detailed explanation and thanked me for my many years of being a shareholder, AP and DVC owner. If nothing else Disney still does an excellent job with guest relations. Looking forward to SWGE opening & Labor Day weekend -

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom