Official Photography Contest 1.28.05 - 2.3.05: Indoor Photography

scorp111

PhotoDave219 said:
3 Canadian Dollars is only 1.23? Makes ya wonder if Disney is telling their cast they'll pay them in Canadian $......

Okay. Short, simple and sweet.

A few words on composition.

Fill the frame. You see how you have (roughly) 36mm x 24 mm of space to play with that creates your image? Well USE it. The old cliche of 'if your pictures arent good enough, not close enough' is true in most respects. Want that shot of someone in front of an Icon, like the castle or SSE or the Hat, TOT, whatever.... Dont back the people up so that theyre a little blip in the background, get your family in the foreground (bout 3-5 feet away) and put them slightly off center. Then you have a good picture of your family and have the icon in the background.

Also..... Rather than backing up 20 more feet to get something all the way in the shot (and it be small), try bending down and shooting up.

I am not going to get involved in all the drama concerning the other posts... but Dave, thanks for tips like this!

As many others have said, I do indeed want to take better pictures. Tips or even a thread like this are very much appreciated. I am going to buy the book you recommend.

Photography is not my focus in life, but at the same time, why wouldn't I want to take better photographs?

RU42

I want to jump into this!

One of the best times I have had at DLR recently was running around with Kirsten, Donic, and MKT. All 4 of us had cameras in hand and just had a blast shooting away. Their passion and technique was very cool. We all challenged each other to aspire to something more.

I believe that was the point that Dave was trying to make. There are lots of good photos. I take good photos. But what really makes a great photo is looking for what can take the picture to the next level.

Example, we had Mickey to ourselves outside Ariels Grotto at DCA. I could have snapped a photo of Mickey and it would have been good. Instead I decided to look around for what could make the photo better. I saw the loop to Cal Screamin coaster. I framed Mickey in the center of the loop with a shot looking up and I waited till a coaster was in mid loop. The result was taking that picture from good to great. Their skills pushed me and I am glad for the result I obtained.

I look at different photo contests; some forum based, some web based, some usenet base. I universally I always see the submitter write - please critique. They want to get better. I want to get better. I learn by looking at what others do.

Even simple family vacation photos can be kicked up a notch with a little extra care. Note, crique is different the criticize. Also, allow a little leeway for the poorest for of communication; written. I bet if you were face to face with Dave and he said basically the same thing not a person would complain because you would have been able to read his verbal and nonverbal ques. I make that determination based on the comments of those who have met Dave.

Anyway...enough of my pontificating. To each his/her own. Some are happy shooting the way they shoot. If you are happy then great - don't let others get you down. I know there are others like me that enjoy the experts pushing us to look threw the viewfinder just a little differently.

RU

speck76

Original Poster
RU42 said:
I universally I always see the submitter write - please critique. They want to get better. I want to get better. I learn by looking at what others do.

......To each his/her own. Some are happy shooting the way they shoot. If you are happy then great - don't let others get you down. I know there are others like me that enjoy the experts pushing us to look threw the viewfinder just a little differently.

RU

Some people want to get better, some don't. Some people see constructive criticizm as being attacked.....and others just don't care one way or another.

Regardless......photography is art, and the beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder. I have not really liked some of the pictures that have been popular in the contests, but obviously, to some people, these pictures were either good, or they struck a chord with the voter in some way.......

Criticizing a photograph is ok if the publisher is open to getting better......but I do not think that criticizing the voting it good at all.

barnum42

speck76 said:
Criticizing a photograph is ok if the publisher is open to getting better......but I do not think that criticizing the voting it good at all.
I second the motion. Well said.

(At least for those that ended up in the vote) ;)

wannab@dis

I just wanted to post my thanks to Speck for doing a great job with the photo contests. This has to be a lot of work to keep up with and creating the polls.

Thanks!!! :wave:

speck76

Original Poster
It is my pleasure. :D

I thought of the photo contest idea a few months ago.

The idea for the contest, and the purpose I thought of for the contest, was multi-fold.

A. It would be a fun, positive thing to do in the forum. (as their seems to be plenty of negativity in other parts of the forum).

B. It would allow people to share their pictures and memories of their trips to the parks.

C. It would allow people to see other photographs taken by other members, potentially giving them ideas on how they could improve their own skills.

D. It would allow people to take pictures for future contests while on their trip, potentially allowing more people to participate.

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
It is my pleasure. :D

Wish I could give ya some green, but I gotta spread it around more. :lol:

I hope everyone cools off and figures out how to enjoy these contests. I love when someone critically looks at my pictures and gives me ideas on how to be better. But more than anything, just have fun!

Maria

Sorry, I got lost in the thread.... is the contest over? Why isn´t the thread locked? Anyone submitting more pictures?
(I´m on dsl now, so I am taking a chance to check this board from work) :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom