Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
ask away kids!....

I'll answer your question, as will every other local on the forums that chooses to

KevinPage

starting your own thread asking for people to ASK you questions?

Now I know there has been too much "drinking around World Showcase" going on

:drevil:

artvandelay

MKT, I have a question.

I went to a FL home show and liked the looks of Southern Dunes in Haines City. do you know anything about it?

Lokheed

I live in the Four Corners area, just a few miles north of Haines City. The only criticism I can share with you is that it is just so dang far away from anything, shopping-wise. There seems to have been quite a bit of growth in housing along Hwy 27 north and south of 192, but the commercial infrastructure hasn't really caught up to it yet. I find myself driving all the way over to Orange Blossom Trail to do any kind of real shopping beyond a quick trip to the local Publix for milk and eggs. Honestly, I intend to move up to the Winter Garden / Ocoee area along West Colonial Drive before the year is out. It will take me ten or fifteen minutes longer go get to WDW, but I'll be much closer to virtually everything else I care about.

yup thats my one complaint to my apt thats in the 4 conners area, the publix and winn dixxie are the only things close otherwise you got a 1/2 hour drive. I like my apt but I'm not 100% sure weather I'll renew my lease again, plus its 40 mins to downtown orlando where I work.

Lokheed

I am fortunate in that I work from a home office, so commuting is not an issue. I have mixed feelings about the fact that they are building a new Wal-Mart less than a mile from my apartment. On the upside, that will at least add quite a bit more non-tourist-junk-shop selection to the area, but on the downside.... it's a Wal-Mart.

You must live right close to me. I'm in the Alexan apartments, right next to Resort Quest and the Howard Johnson's. Where are you at (if you don't mind my asking)?

Lokheed

It's going right next to the Publix at the corner of 192 and 27. The site has been cleared, and you should start to see vertical construction beginning in March. I watched one of these things go up next to my previous home in Seattle, and I can tell you that if you blink you will miss the construction. It seems line one day there is a mound of dirt, and the next day there is a big ugly blue building selling pickles in five gallon jars....

DisneySaint

Ok, MKT, here's one:

When I begin looking for a home in Orlando next year, are there any specific areas of town I should definently not miss. What about definently avoid? What can I expect apartment rent to range for a 1 bedroom? For a 2 bedroom?

Thanks as always,
Joey

Defend10

Originally posted by DisneyJoey
When I begin looking for a home in Orlando next year, are there any specific areas of town I should definently not miss. What about definently avoid? What can I expect apartment rent to range for a 1 bedroom? For a 2 bedroom?

It all depends on what you want. If you're working at WDW, apartments in the south I-drive/sea world/Lake Buena Vista area tend to be around 500-600 single, 650-850 double. I just chose this apartment about a month ago, and have listings for 20-30 others in this area. (BTW, I can watch wishes from here every night :D ) feel free to PM or AIM/Email Defend10@aol.com, I can probably throw some help your way.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
my one suggestion is... stay close to the world, but not TOO close. With a few exceptions, apartments EXTREMELY close to WDW tend to be on the more expensive side in rent as well as in local amenities (try paying tourist prices for everything!). I live in Hunters Creek, which is 15 mins away from WDW, close enough to go whenever I want, but far enough so I can get a good nights sleep away from the LBV ruckus.

Oh yeah.. I'm paying $600/month single occupancy.

Defend10

Originally posted by mkt
my one suggestion is... stay close to the world, but not TOO close. With a few exceptions, apartments EXTREMELY close to WDW tend to be on the more expensive side in rent as well as in local amenities (try paying tourist prices for everything!). I live in Hunters Creek, which is 15 mins away from WDW, close enough to go whenever I want, but far enough so I can get a good nights sleep away from the LBV ruckus.

Very true, the Alexandria area, etc end up paying big bucks for the privilege of bordering WDW property. I lucked out and was elligible for the Reams Rd apartments, right across the street from MK (heck, I can see space from here :p yes, I love to talk about it) The nice thing is, like the LBV ruckus you mention, these are almost country, and there's a grocery store that's completely non-tourist that's actually closer than the 535/4 area, plus just going to 50 for anything else is maybe 15 minutes.

This one is 510 a month single.

TURKEY

Originally posted by mkt

How many people are at The Alexan? I'm there too. :wave:

I pay $600 for a 1 BR.

It's great for me. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to work at the All-Stars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom