Of all the days...

JohnD

Original Poster
So, I live in the Florida Panhandle and my 60 days out for making FP+ selections is the exact day that Hurricane Michael is expected to blow through.

Worst case, I assume I can use my app if power is out.

JohnD

Original Poster
You can hook your computer and all your home network gear into an UPS and press on like nothing matters... until your carrier's system loses power, anyway.

Or, you can evacuate to... wait for it... Walt Disney World! Write off all your expenses as "disaster recovery."

I literally did that two years ago after Hermine. The difference is that I already had a trip planned. I left home on a Saturday morning with power still out. No such luck this year.

winstongator

I literally did that two years ago after Hermine. The difference is that I already had a trip planned. I left home on a Saturday morning with power still out. No such luck this year.
We did that for Matthew. Had a one night trip that turned into a 4-night trip. I left early with my daughters and we enjoyed an empty DHS on Thursday before it closed early. We got soaked on the way back to the car.

Good luck.

JohnD

Original Poster
Ironically, it looks like it will be easier. I have the day off because of the hurricane so no rushing to get the FP+ selections done before I head off to work. Second, as I live in the Tallahassee area, I'll "only" have tropical storm force winds which don't arrive until later in the day tomorrow. So i should be good to go for making my selections tomorrow.

DisneyFreak

Ironically, it looks like it will be easier. I have the day off because of the hurricane so no rushing to get the FP+ selections done before I head off to work. Second, as I live in the Tallahassee area, I'll "only" have tropical storm force winds which don't arrive until later in the day tomorrow. So i should be good to go for making my selections tomorrow.

Looks like Cat 1. Be safe.

1539114283980.png

JohnD

Original Poster
Because the storm makes landfall farther west of where Iive, for me, it will be similar to Hermine which was a Cat 1 landfall right over my home basically. I don’t diminish this storm for those more directly in its path. Here is Hermine from two years ago.
40C89434-4A3D-4A66-BBF5-98A65D255AB0.png

JohnD

Original Poster
Selections made. Even at 7am, there were no fastpasses for Slinky Dog. Looks like I'll be riding it standby.

First up, though. I'm on standby inside my house waiting for Michael to blow over.

NYwdwfan

Selections made. Even at 7am, there were no fastpasses for Slinky Dog. Looks like I'll be riding it standby.

First up, though. I'm on standby inside my house waiting for Michael to blow over.
Keep checking. As people's plans change and trip are cancelled, things open up. I was able to add a second FoP FP a few weeks before our trip.

JohnD

Original Poster
Keep checking. As people's plans change and trip are cancelled, things open up. I was able to add a second FoP FP a few weeks before our trip.

I will. My first priorities were SDD and FoP. I managed to get FoP on a different day in the evening. So that was almost gone too. My strategies are this. I'm visiting HS on check-in day with a FP+ at 3:40 for A-S-S. The earlier I check in, the earlier I get to HS and can ride SDD standby if I have to. On my AK day, I scheduled KS for 9:55am, so will rope drop AK that morning. I'll make a beeline for Pandora and will ride NRJ first then get in line for FoP if I have time. If not, I have the FP+ for it in the evening.

Rasstuss

I will. My first priorities were SDD and FoP. I managed to get FoP on a different day in the evening. So that was almost gone too. My strategies are this. I'm visiting HS on check-in day with a FP+ at 3:40 for A-S-S. The earlier I check in, the earlier I get to HS and can ride SDD standby if I have to. On my AK day, I scheduled KS for 9:55am, so will rope drop AK that morning. I'll make a beeline for Pandora and will ride NRJ first then get in line for FoP if I have time. If not, I have the FP+ for it in the evening.
We will be arriving the same day and also plan to go to HS that morning. I knew there wouldn't be a SDD (were going to stand by as early as we can) but I was hoping to at least get an A-S-S that morning, however 3:15 was the earliest available. That really does us no good as we plan to be in EPCOT by that time. I guess i will keep checking back to see if some sort of Tier 1 opens up that morning in HS.

Disneyfreak Jen

Glad you’re ok, that is a heck of a storm. Continue to stay safe, and frequently monitor the FP’s as people modify all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom