October 2019

Mike K

The wife and I are looking ahead to October 2019 for a Disney getaway. As DVC members, we were hoping to get some thoughts from others about best time to go for crowd levels? Last time we went in October was around 2011 mid month and we still hail that as one of our best trips, both crowd and weather wise with the exception of the Food & Wine Festival madness. Thanks in advance for your help!

LeighM

I have been to WDW in October two times, once in 2015 and again in 2016, for the Food and Wine Festival and the Halloween Party (and the free dining promotion). While I enjoyed both trips, I probably won't go during that time frame again. The weather was still very hot and humid. One trip was affected by a hurricane and the other had travel impacts bc of another storm system. In 2016, we went the first week in October thinking the crowds would be lighter. Wrong! Apparently everyone else had the same idea LOL. Magic Kingdom was a zoo both days we were there. We ended up leaving early both days and napping at our resort so we could go back at night with less crowds. We did the Halloween party and it was really crowded - fun but very crowded. Epcot had usual F&W crowd level although the humidity made it too hot to eat everything we wanted. I don't remember crowds being bad at AK - just the oppressive humidity. My friend went later that month, closer to Halloween, and she said the crowds were even worse. I really don't know the slowest times to visit anymore. We still really enjoyed our trip though. Just go in expecting large crowds and you won't be disappointed. We went in August in 2012 and the crowd levels have really increased since then. Our best trip, by far, was the first week in March 2014. The weather was fantastic!! I wish it was that nice when we were there middle of March this year LOL. A lot of people were there during Mardi Gras, and the Canadian's spring break, but we had gotten there after a runDisney race and a federal holiday but before the large spring break crowds. That trip was so magical!

Upvote 0

Disneyfreak Jen

I would avoid early October due to weather. While it can rain at any time, you still get a lot more rain earlier in the month as it’s closer to September, than the end of the month.
As far as crowds, October is always crowded.

Upvote 0

jbird327

Oct 2019 will be my 6th October trip (since 2010). We always go the last week of the month. Weather has at times been in the 90s but usually mid to upper 80s. We have also attended the MNSSHP on Halloween each trip. It is crowded, but not too insane....we usually do the parks early, return to the hotel and then back in the evening. The last trip in 2017 enabled us to see Halloween and then the Christmas decorations before we left.

Upvote 0

Mike K

Original Poster
So sorry for the delay! Thanks to everyone who answered. Everything we read above is such a far cry from what we experienced years ago in October. The crowds always seem to be on the rise now haha. We're now thinking of going mid-late October, do a week at WDW, and then check-in to the Hard Rock for an onsite Uni trip for three days or so. Fingers crossed the crowds aren't too terrible!

Upvote 0

Tebo

I would say the week with Columbus day will be busier and the days leading up to Halloween. We are going the 11th to 14th this year but only plan on doing Epcot on Friday for the Food and Wine festival. As long as you have a touring plan and get there for rope drop, things should be doable. We went in 2015 in November and did not find the crowds that bad then, this was only a Friday for Epcot though.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Don't forget: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens sometime in Fall 2019. They say "late fall", so it may not be open when you're there.

Upvote 0

Mike K

Original Poster
Don't forget: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens sometime in Fall 2019. They say "late fall", so it may not be open when you're there.

Very true but luckily we're already planning our 2020 return in January which will probably be an even better time to experience GE after the holiday rush of tourists.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
October used to be a quiet month, but no longer, also consider that southern schools have a fall break in October, and of course Star Wars is opening up late fall 2019. That may be November, that may be October, but I bet the crowds in anticipation will be higher.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom