Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Tay

Florida governor is a moron who opened up the states to early. We are all grown and know that there are Covid cases linked to WDW And USO that are unreported. Newsom is doing the right thing. DL and USH aren’t nearly as big as the parks in Florida. California is one of the least vaccinated states and has had multiple measles breakouts at DL and USH. They can’t even control a disease that has had an effective vaccine for decades yet he is on a power trip because he doesn’t want to risk a huge outbreak of an unknown disease?

It’s unfortunate that so many people’s livelihoods are being affected right now while the idiots in charge of us bicker over giving citizens a measly $1200 but we are in a pandemic with a strange disease that’s affecting everyone differently. You can’t buy a life. I would rather be broke than dead. This issue is making the theme park community look really bad.

George Lucas on a Bench

Florida governor is a moron who opened up the states to early. We are all grown and know that there are Covid cases linked to WDW And USO that are unreported. Newsom is doing the right thing. DL and USH aren’t nearly as big as the parks in Florida. California is one of the least vaccinated states and has had multiple measles breakouts at DL and USH. They can’t even control a disease that has had an effective vaccine for decades yet he is on a power trip because he doesn’t want to risk a huge outbreak of an unknown disease?

It’s unfortunate that so many people’s livelihoods are being affected right now while the idiots in charge of us bicker over giving citizens a measly $1200 but we are in a pandemic with a strange disease that’s affecting everyone differently. You can’t buy a life. I would rather be broke than dead. This issue is making the theme park community look really bad.

giphy (1).gif

cmwade77

Actually, we are all grown and can look at numbers objectively and understand that no cases are linked to any theme park anywhere in the world at present.

Here is the bottom line, someone asked a very valid question in one of these thread and it bears repeating, along with the appropriate answer:
  • Question: How many Americans would you let die before giving up your freedom?
    • Answer: Every single one, myself included, because there are many, many Americans who literally died to ensure that we have the freedom we do today. If we give up that freedom, all of those deaths become meaningless.

I don't know about you, but I don't think giving up freedom for some "temporary safety" is a good way of handling things.

If you are fearful of a virus which you are unlikely to catch and has at least a 98% survival rate, even for those with preexisting conditions, then by all means stay at home, but don't try to force everyone else into doing the same to "protect your health". If you start making others responsible for your health, then they can start forcing you to change your diet, making you exercise, etc.

The bottom line is the ONLY people responsible for keeping me healthy are my doctor and myself. We need to get back to a world where everyone takes personal responsibility and not expect everyone else to bend over backwards so that you can feel safe.

Additionally, we know that the safety would only be temporary, there will be no solution until the majority of the population gets COVID, there will likely be no safe vaccine, so let's stop acting like there will be and accept that life has risks and move on.

truecoat

Actually, we are all grown and can look at numbers objectively and understand that no cases are linked to any theme park anywhere in the world at present.

Here is the bottom line, someone asked a very valid question in one of these thread and it bears repeating, along with the appropriate answer:
  • Question: How many Americans would you let die before giving up your freedom?
    • Answer: Every single one, myself included, because there are many, many Americans who literally died to ensure that we have the freedom we do today. If we give up that freedom, all of those deaths become meaningless.

I don't know about you, but I don't think giving up freedom for some "temporary safety" is a good way of handling things.

If you are fearful of a virus which you are unlikely to catch and has at least a 98% survival rate, even for those with preexisting conditions, then by all means stay at home, but don't try to force everyone else into doing the same to "protect your health". If you start making others responsible for your health, then they can start forcing you to change your diet, making you exercise, etc.

The bottom line is the ONLY people responsible for keeping me healthy are my doctor and myself. We need to get back to a world where everyone takes personal responsibility and not expect everyone else to bend over backwards so that you can feel safe.

Additionally, we know that the safety would only be temporary, there will be no solution until the majority of the population gets COVID, there will likely be no safe vaccine, so let's stop acting like there will be and accept that life has risks and move on.

You seem to ignore the growing list of complications many survivors are having. Strokes, lung damage, heart damage, brain damage or just lingering symptoms for months. On top of this, hefty medical bills.

D

Deleted member 107043

I really wish you would quit parroting this nonsense from Central Florida officials and theme park executives. There is simply no way to state this as fact without a comprehensive national contact tracing program.

October82

So well said. Thank you!

Speaking of responsibility - it amazes me how often some choose to forget their most basic responsibilities to people other than themselves.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

The bottom line is the ONLY people responsible for keeping me healthy are my doctor and myself.

That is categorically untrue. Human health is highly dependent on your environment and surroundings. This stands for both physical and mental health. Drunk driving laws by definition limit "freedom" but the law is in place to protect human health. Environmental conditions affect your physical and mental health. I could go on, but the point is clear. As much as you and others that talk about personal freedom and such fail to admit is that your health depends on the actions of others.

ppete1975

That is categorically untrue. Human health is highly dependent on your environment and surroundings. This stands for both physical and mental health. Drunk driving laws by definition limit "freedom" but the law is in place to protect human health. Environmental conditions affect your physical and mental health. I could go on, but the point is clear. As much as you and others that talk about personal freedom and such fail to admit is that your health depends on the actions of others.
Thats a great analogy. Drunk driving "if i die then its my own fault"..... how about the cars you hit and the innocent people that might be killed due to your actions. Same thing with masks and social distancing.. it isnt just about you.. its about the people you might take with you.
John F Kennedy said it best
"ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country"

.... even if he stole that quote

lazyboy97o

What makes a statement so truly terrifying is he claims to be involved in building design. Architects, engineers and other design professionals are responsible for protecting the health, safety and welfare of the public.

LastoneOn

interesting There was just a story, or a twitter thing today about this and that many of these same things happened to all respiratory virus sufferers. Cognitive decline can last several years or longer. Not something we usually think about, or even hear about.

See its not always that someone purposefully ignores - like crime family emails, romping naked with underage relatives while on crack, "plausible deniability" and stuff - its usually that something is unknown.

All that said, I have no qualms about holding to my position. Far better to protect the vulnerable - the old in this case - than it is to destroy the future of the the younger generations.

ppete1975

Huge issue i have, and i understand that its a new virus and we are still learning. And thats the contradictory information that is out there. And im not talking about Trumps statements ;). The other day on the news they reported that you had to be in the same room with someone for a combined 15 mins to catch it. While i strongly disagree this is true... I am assuming it was a statement on a possibility, and the media that is clamoring for any info and scoop the others, put it on the national news. Beyond i doubt that is accurate, based on how easily some have caught it. You have went from saying it could be on materials, is highly contagious, easily spread up to 20 feet from breathing (or whatever it is today). To now saying you have to be in close to proximity to someone for 15 mins. This type of conversations is whats adding to people having fatigue over the virus, and thinking masks dont matter "im just going to the grocery store, im not going to be talking to a stranger for 15 mins".

truecoat

interesting There was just a story, or a twitter thing today about this and that many of these same things happened to all respiratory virus sufferers. Cognitive decline can last several years or longer. Not something we usually think about, or even hear about.

See its not always that someone purposefully ignores - like crime family emails, romping naked with underage relatives while on crack, "plausible deniability" and stuff - its usually that something is unknown.

All that said, I have no qualms about holding to my position. Far better to protect the vulnerable - the old in this case - than it is to destroy the future of the the younger generations.

Not just the old, anyone with juvenile diabetes or asthma for example need to be protected.

I'm not sure how we are destroying the future of younger generations by making wise decisions for what will probably be a year and half to two years tops. Saddling young people with low wages and large education debt does more damage than covid ever will.

Stevek

Not just the old, anyone with juvenile diabetes or asthma for example need to be protected.

I'm not sure how we are destroying the future of younger generations by making wise decisions for what will probably be a year and half to two years tops. Saddling young people with low wages and large education debt does more damage than covid ever will.
I've got a house with 1 daughter that has type 1 diabetes, a daughter with asthma, a wife with asthma...imagine how terrified I can feel at times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom