Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

LastoneOn

Why doesn’t Orange County just do the work?
Because its an independent charted government unit with various authority and powers and elected officials and wishes to retain its rights of governance and ability to shape its county based on its residents desires, instead of being discriminated against because they disagree with the governor who is relying on "emergency powers" to force his political ideology onto the state citizens without their vote for such things?

Here's a glimpse of what happens to people who won't or can't just "do the work"
Mao, A Great Leap Forward, 45 million killed
Hitler, 70-85 million
Stalin, 20 - 60 million
Pol Pot in Cambodia 1.7 million
North Korea 3 million
Ethiopia 2 million

So go along or die??

I'm probably wrong. No worries.

lazyboy97o

Because its an independent charted government unit with various authority and powers and elected officials and wishes to retain its rights of governance and ability to shape its county based on its residents desires, instead of being discriminated against because they disagree with the governor who is relying on "emergency powers" to force his political ideology onto the state citizens without their vote for such things?

Here's a glimpse of what happens to people who won't or can't just "do the work"
Hitler, 70-85 million
Stalin, 20 - 60 million
North Korea 3 million
Ethiopia 2 million

So go along or die??

And which of these persons was such a proponent of privacy that anonymity in public was mandated?

October82

Hitler, 70-85 million
Stalin, 20 - 60 million
North Korea 3 million
Ethiopia 2 million

So go along or die??

When you find yourself bringing up Mao, Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot in a thread about Disneyland being closed, you might, and I stress, might, want to reassess your perspective.

TP2000

As much as it is Orange County's responsibility to care for their citizens, I'm also surprised that Disneyland hasn't seen the writing on the wall and come in to assist with community outreach programs. Disneyland had the programs (Disney VoluntEars) and government relations contacts to facilitate programs providing community assistance with COVID containment. Assistance such as mask distribution, test facilitation and even just information campaigns (door to door or via phone) to ensure that Spanish speaking communities in Anaheim and Santa Ana were provided life saving support.

It would have kept some CMs employed and busy and looked much better in the community than whining that they should be allowed to open in a pandemic. I have such a hard time understanding why they wasted years and years of positive community influence here. Looks even worse now that they are spending so much money to influence the Anaheim City Council races. Pretty sad.

You want a theme park, Disneyland, to provide door to door canvassing offering "life saving support" to low-income people living within a 10 mile radius of that theme park?

How the heck did that become a theme park's job in society?

What's next, Target has to provide basic dental services to low-income people? McDonald's needs to offer guaranteed 30 year loans at 2.5% to help first time buyers with a new house? Chevron must start offering free mental health services to homeless guys hooked on meth? Ford needs to provide free basic internet (15 Mbps) for all low-income households?

Disneyland is a wonderful and extremely generous corporate citizen. It's decades of community support, big cardboard checks written to local charities, and endless volunteer efforts speak for itself.

But now Disneyland should be responsible for the health care and lifestyle choices of low-income people living within 10 miles of their property? I just don't know how or why that task got assigned to a theme park.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You want a theme park, Disneyland, to provide door to door canvassing offering "life saving support" to low-income people living within a 10 mile radius of that theme park?

What's next, Target has to provide basic dental services to low-income people? McDonald's needs to offer guaranteed 30 year loans at 2.5% to help first time buyers with a new house? Chevron must start offering free mental health services to homeless guys hooked on meth? Ford needs to provide free basic internet (15 Mbps) for all low-income households?

Disneyland is a wonderful and extremely generous corporate citizen. It's decades of community support, big cardboard checks written to local charities, and endless volunteer efforts speak for itself.

But now Disneyland should be responsible for the health care and lifestyle choices of low-income people living within 10 miles of their property? I just don't know how or why that task got assigned to a theme park.
During a pandemic shouldn't WE ALL including corporations be doing everything we can to combat the virus?

Whatever happen to "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."?

el_super

It's not Disneyland's responsibility, but it needs to happen before Disneyland reopens and the Orange County Board of Supervisors seems completely incapable of handling it.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've got all these guys on Ignore...I can only imagine what in the heck you're responding to.

TP2000

It's not Disneyland's responsibility, but it needs to happen before Disneyland reopens and the Orange County Board of Supervisors seems completely incapable of handling it.

That's something happening to every service industry in SoCal. It's not Disneyland's job to fix that for Sacramento.

Go look at LA County, which is officially more racist and more unhealthy than OC, and so is still in the Purple Tier. They can't have indoor dining or bars in LA. Restaurants are closing permanently all over LA County because of that. Winter is coming; it's going down into the 50's this weekend in LA. Brrr! Outdoor dining season is ending. Restaurants are going under, never coming back.

Paid Disneyland CM's canvassing door to door in poor neighborhoods in Santa Ana to tell them to wash their hands and not have 7 people live in a 2 bedroom apartment is not the responsibility of Disneyland. Or Panera Bread. Or Morton's Steakhouse. Or Target.

el_super

That's something happening to every service industry in SoCal. It's not Disneyland's job to fix that for Sacramento.

That's a bit ... off. Obviously it isn't Disneyland's responsibility to provide community services or participate in local elections... but they do. They choose to be involved in their community (for better or worse) and they can choose to help fight COVID-19 and reduce infection rates in their community. They have clearly chosen not to, and that is a shame.

If infections continue and people keep insisting they will since the Yellow tier is so "impossible" to reach, then Disneyland will not open. Disneyland can at least work to get infections down (again choosing to be a positive force in the community) or do nothing and whine about being closed.

DanielBB8

That's a bit ... off. Obviously it isn't Disneyland's responsibility to provide community services or participate in local elections... but they do. They choose to be involved in their community (for better or worse) and they can choose to help fight COVID-19 and reduce infection rates in their community. They have clearly chosen not to, and that is a shame.

If infections continue and people keep insisting they will since the Yellow tier is so "impossible" to reach, then Disneyland will not open. Disneyland can at least work to get infections down (again choosing to be a positive force in the community) or do nothing and whine about being closed.
That’s rich to demand service from a closed business. For an organization to do this while closed will have to reorganize as a non-profit and apply for grants from the government. Otherwise how will they do it? However, the government is already short on funds due to lower tax receipts. Governments across the country are at risk of deficits. They want a bailout from the Federal government who will fund bailouts from deficit spending. Maybe the best option is reopen the business while letting the pandemic sort itself out. The economy can’t continue while businesses are closed and everyone’s lives are ruined.

lazyboy97o

That’s rich to demand service from a closed business. For an organization to do this while closed will have to reorganize as a non-profit and apply for grants from the government. Otherwise how will they do it? However, the government is already short on funds due to lower tax receipts. Governments across the country are at risk of deficits. They want a bailout from the Federal government who will fund bailouts from deficit spending. Maybe the best option is reopen the business while letting the pandemic sort itself out. The economy can’t continue while businesses are closed and everyone’s lives are ruined.
Do please cite the law or regulation that requires a company to organize as a non-profit in order to engage in civic activities. Is that what the companies that switched to making and donating equipment at their own expense did?

DanielBB8

Do please cite the law or regulation that requires a company to organize as a non-profit in order to engage in civic activities. Is that what the companies that switched to making and donating equipment at their own expense did?
There no requirement. You didn’t get it.
If you want Disney to remain closed, there’s no income for them do the “civic activity”.
So you want them to donate what they would otherwise liquidate through bankruptcy. That’s it.

lazyboy97o

There no requirement. You didn’t get it.
If you want Disney to remain closed, there’s no income for them do the “civic activity”.
So you want them to donate what they would otherwise liquidate through bankruptcy. That’s it.
Other, smaller companies figured out ways to do it. Disney is still making money even with the Disneyland Resort closed.

And nobody wants Disneyland to remain closed except maybe Orange County and Anaheim leaders who keeping wasting time crying for special treatment rather than just take the rather simple steps necessary. They could still make their disagreement known while doing what must be done. What ever happened to a “can do” attitude? Facing adversity by pulling up one’s bootstraps?

el_super

That’s rich to demand service from a closed business.

Disneyland park is closed. Disney, and more specifically their operations in Anaheim, are not.

Maybe the best option is reopen the business while letting the pandemic sort itself out. The economy can’t continue while businesses are closed and everyone’s lives are ruined.

This is why discourse is dead in politics. How about, as a thought exercise, you try to come up with a solution to help people that doesn't just parrot the idea of just reopening and pretending nothing is wrong. It shouldn't be so hard to compromise.

TP2000

I honestly am not trying to pick on you personally, but I simply marvel at the lengths to which private businesses are supposed to go to in your perspective, aside from just offering the quality goods or services they are designed to offer.

But there seems to be very, very little personal responsibility required of all the people who are supposed to get all this free stuff from Disneyland and the local government (funded by Disneyland).

2.6% of Americans have tested positive for Covid-19 this year.
97.8% of Americans who tested positive for Covid-19 this year did not die.
Most Americans who did die with Covid were over 75 years old.

And now OC's biggest employer, Disneyland, is supposed to do even more for a community it has already donated tens of millions of dollars of free charity and thousands of jobs to in the last decade, and send paid Disneyland CM's door to door in Santa Ana to help provide medical and health advice (in Spanish, you helpfully added) to those residents?

Again, why stop there? There's apparently nothing anyone should be expected to do for themselves, or do to provide for the safety of their family. Disneyland CM's will come and take care of it all for them.

I know you will disagree with me, but I don't want to live in that world. I would like to take that personal responsibility for myself. I don't want Disneyland CM's coming to my door to give me free health advice and medical supplies. I only want Disneyland CM's to be polite to me in the park, and learn the jokes for the Jungle Cruise spiel better. ;)

lazyboy97o

I honestly am not trying to pick on you personally, but I simply marvel at the lengths to which private businesses are supposed to go to in your perspective, aside from just offering the quality goods or services they are designed to offer.

But there seems to be very, very little personal responsibility required of all the people who are supposed to get all this free stuff from Disneyland and the local government (funded by Disneyland).

2.6% of Americans have tested positive for Covid-19 this year.
97.8% of Americans who tested positive for Covid-19 this year did not die.
Most Americans who did die with Covid were over 75 years old.

And now OC's biggest employer, Disneyland, is supposed to do even more for a community it has already donated tens of millions of dollars of free charity and thousands of jobs to in the last decade, and send paid Disneyland CM's door to door in Santa Ana to help provide medical and health advice (in Spanish, you helpfully added) to those residents?

Again, why stop there? There's apparently nothing anyone should be expected to do for themselves, or do to provide for the safety of their family. Disneyland CM's will come and take care of it all for them.

I know you will disagree with me, but I don't want to live in that world. I would like to take that personal responsibility for myself. I don't want Disneyland CM's coming to my door to give me free health advice and medical supplies. I only want Disneyland CM's to be polite to me in the park, and learn the jokes for the Jungle Cruise spiel better. ;)
You have incredibly poor reading comprehension. A suggestion is not a demand.

DanielBB8

Other, smaller companies figured out ways to do it. Disney is still making money even with the Disneyland Resort closed.

And nobody wants Disneyland to remain closed except maybe Orange County and Anaheim leaders who keeping wasting time crying for special treatment rather than just take the rather simple steps necessary. They could still make their disagreement known while doing what must be done. What ever happened to a “can do” attitude? Facing adversity by pulling up one’s bootstraps?
The simple step of keeping everyone at home isn’t making it easier to get back to work and reopening businesses. In every country that reopened, every country had a second breakout. The deaths remain low despite the infections that still occur.

The Anaheim and Orange County leaders are more realistic than California. It’s time to reopen the businesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom