Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Welp, gang... It's 4pm on a Friday in Sacramento, and our elected leaders and bureaucrats have now gone home for the weekend. No guidelines for reopening California theme parks have been released. Disneyland is still closed.

But I hope you'll enjoy a sundowner cocktail or beverage of choice this evening and join me in a toast for a better tomorrow! :)

b1b4933a-348a-4da5-bd45-b749559115f4.jpg
Ahhhhh. There it is.

TP2000

Ahhhhh. There it is.

It's not a Friday without it. And it's the way I give back to this community. 🧐

They are still not opening anytime this year

I agree with you. A few weeks ago I realized that Disneyland won't be reopening in calendar year 2020.

At this point, it's just how early into 2021 can we get it reopened? Hopefully it doesn't stretch to a full year, which would be March of 2021.

Can anyone think of any scenario short of global nuclear war where Disneyland was going to shut down for a full year?!? I can't. Not even the Big One was going to do that, as a 8.0 earthquake on the San Andreas would only close Disneyland for a few months before it could reopen.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's not a Friday without it. And it's the way I give back to this community. 🧐

I agree with you. A few weeks ago I realized that Disneyland won't be reopening in calendar year 2020.

At this point, it's just how early into 2021 can we get it reopened? Hopefully it doesn't stretch to a full year, which would be March of 2021.

Can anyone think of any scenario short of global nuclear war where Disneyland was going to shut down for a full year?!? I can't. Not even the Big One was going to do that, as a 8.0 earthquake on the San Andreas would only close Disneyland for a few months before it could reopen.
I think by January it will be open. If it actually goes a full calendar year-I would be totally shocked.

ToTBellHop

Welp. It's 8:20pm on a Friday night and the WDWMagic DL forum is no longer edited due to politics and we're all better off. Please don't put your Mail In Ballot in a Disneyland trash bin.
Has Gavin said who he’d like us to vote for in order to get DL back open? I’m putting my ballot in an OFFICIAL DROP BOX tomorrow and awaiting instructions.

TP2000

There clearly is a chip on Newsom's shoulder for Orange County, as OC is full of all those naughty back-talkers who dare question their betters in The Capitol.

Donald Trump heading to Newport Beach today for a fundraiser and meet-n-greet with adoring locals isn't helping. 🤣

But at some point Newsom is going to have to do something about California theme parks. In the past two weeks he's given himself several new off-ramps from his "Stay Closed Indefinitely!" road he's been on.

Newsom can now hold a press conference where he explains 3 minutes worth of material in a 45 minute word soup and claim he used "stubborn research" and "science and data" and "dynamic conversations" to decide that Disneyland reopening to both "people from around the world who descend" (English Translation: Tourists) and "people proximate to these theme parks" (English Translation: Locals) is no more dangerous than reopening your local Michael's Crafts or Red Robin and all the other entirely non-essential businesses that have been reopened for months.

He's given himself an out, and a way to backtrack. Let's hope he uses it, even for naughty Orange County who talks back to their betters.

TP2000

Today's response from citizens proximate to Orange County, lining the streets for over a mile to wave flags and cheer on President Trump as he leaves Newport Beach this afternoon, is not going to help OC's reputation in Sacramento! :oops:

I wonder what kind of response Newsom would get if he came to visit Orange County? I can't find any record of any visit to Orange County by Governor Newsom since he was elected in 2018. But something tells me the crowd response of people proximate to Orange County wouldn't be like this...

Last edited:

LastoneOn

If people believe Senator Warren has 'authority' over Disney and can make them somehow rehire everyone laid off (that other forum), then I'd think the President probably has authority to open DL. A good policy wonk could surely whip up some rationale for the Defense Production Act ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Today's response from citizens proximate to Orange County, lining the streets for over a mile to wave flags and cheer on President Trump as he leaves Newport Beach this afternoon, is not going to help OC's reputation in Sacramento! :oops:

I wonder what kind of response Newsom would get if he came to visit Orange County? I can't find any record of any visit to Orange County by Governor Newsom since he was elected in 2018. But something tells me the crowd response of people proximate to Orange County wouldn't be like this...

If Orange County citizens were really desperate as their leaders claim to get Disneyland reopened then you'd see these same crowds at the Disneyland rally this weekend instead of cheering on the current occupant of the White House. But yet you didn't so if anything this shows that people even in the same county aren't really that interested in reopening a silly theme park dedicated to a anthropomorphic mouse let alone any other theme park in the State.

cmwade77

Has Gavin said who he’d like us to vote for in order to get DL back open? I’m putting my ballot in an OFFICIAL DROP BOX tomorrow and awaiting instructions.
Well let's just say I don't think it is Trump.......so, Jo Jorgensen maybe? I mean she will do everything she can to get government interference out of our lives.

cmwade77

If Orange County citizens were really desperate as their leaders claim to get Disneyland reopened then you'd see these same crowds at the Disneyland rally this weekend instead of cheering on the current occupant of the White House. But yet you didn't so if anything this shows that people even in the same county aren't really that interested in reopening a silly theme park dedicated to a anthropomorphic mouse let alone any other theme park in the State.
Many citizen don't understand how intertwined the theme parks are into the economy, having researched this out, it really is incredible how important these are to the Southern California economy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Many citizen don't understand how intertwined the theme parks are into the economy, having researched this out, it really is incredible how important these are to the Southern California economy.
And yet my point still stands. Just because you and others in the Disney community think its an important piece of the SoCal economy doesn't mean other people do too. This was shown this weekend.

Gottalovepluto

And yet my point still stands. Just because you and others in the Disney community think its an important piece of the SoCal economy doesn't mean other people do too. This was shown this weekend.
Obviously DLR does not deserve to open then. They don’t want it enough.

...or they have a brain and know rally’s don’t matter to Newsom if they’re not run by a union.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom