Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Gottalovepluto

>>Gov. Gavin Newsom said a team from his administration will head to Florida to inspect the reopening protocols of Walt Disney World ahead of issuing COVID-19 health and safety guidelines for Disneyland and other California theme parks.

Newsom commented on amusement parks reopening guidelines during a news conference on Monday, Oct. 12.

Disneyland and other California theme parks remain closed amid the COVID-19 pandemic while they await long-promised reopening guidelines from the state.

Newsom said his administration will be sending a team to Florida to visit Disney World to answer a key question: What can California learn from other states that have successfully reopened sectors of the economy?

“I have a whole team that spends their time not only getting the answer to that question, but asking those same questions,” Newsom said during the news conference. “And so this week, as a proof point of that, we have supported an effort to actually find out directly by sending our own team to these sites, as relates to theme parks, to get a better sense of what’s going on. While we absolutely take people’s word for information that they provide us, we want to see things for ourselves.”<<
What a crappy day to be on the Disney World team if you were the one pushing to increase park capacity after this little gem came to light...

DLR92

The issue is IF Disneyland and many other amusement park open, how much COVID spike will it cause? We don’t need more death case to spark up in the name of economy. Our safety of society health matter more than money!

I would laugh at Anahiem and others who pushed for no restriction in place if they had their way.

George Lucas on a Bench

The issue is IF Disneyland and many other amusement park open, how much COVID spike will it cause? We don’t need more death case to spark up in the name of economy. Our safety of society health matter more than money!

I would laugh at Anahiem and others who pushed for no restriction in place if they had their way.

You sound absolutely terrified. Maybe you should just stay home. I hear that saves lives. Isolate yourself. You never know when the Covid spike could get ya.

As to your second point, I can't recall anyone whatsoever suggesting "no restrictions."

DCBaker

Premium Member
“We have planned visits to theme parks in-state this week in collaboration with theme park operators who requested the exchange of information and ideas,” according to California Health and Human Services Agency spokesperson Kate Folmar. “These visits will help inform our pending theme park guidance.”

"The delegation will include the California Department of Public Health, California Division of Occupational Safety and Health and the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development, according to Folmar."

California Attractions and Parks Association executive director Erin Guerrero applauded Newsom’s decision to have a team visit California’s theme parks to review COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

“It was heartening to hear Gov. Newsom share that his administration is ready to work with the theme park industry,” Guerrero said in a statement. “We applaud the governor for accepting our invitation to visit California’s iconic parks and we are eager to work together so theme parks can reopen responsibly and soon. Doing so will allow tens of thousands of people to get back to work and provide a much-needed jump start for local and state economies that have been decimated by the shutdown.”

BuzzedPotatoHead89

"The delegation will include the California Department of Public Health, California Division of Occupational Safety and Health and the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development, according to Folmar."

Answering once and for all the age old question: How many bureaucrats does it take to open a turnstile? 😂

(Kidding - in all seriousness great to see some signs of incremental progress).

lazyboy97o

Answering once and for all the age old question: How many bureaucrats does it take to open a turnstile? 😂

(Kidding - in all seriousness great to see some signs of incremental progress).
It depends on whether or not you have properly completed Form A1-13 in triplicate and submitted to the appropriate departments using only Second Class mail timed so that it arrives between the receiving hours of 3:17 - 4:03 PM on the second Tuesday of the month, unless that Tuesday is during the waxing gibbous and then Receiving shall also occur on the prior Thursday at 9:46 AM.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

What a crappy day to be on the Disney World team if you were the one pushing to increase park capacity after this little gem came to light...
aka " we have top men working on it. TOP MEN" look he is pulling an Indiana Jones. There is no team. The parks are not opening in 2020. He said this because people keep bugging him about theme parks. Come on now.

DrAlice

It depends on whether or not you have properly completed Form A1-13 in triplicate and submitted to the appropriate departments using only Second Class mail timed so that it arrives between the receiving hours of 3:17 - 4:03 PM on the second Tuesday of the month, unless that Tuesday is during the waxing gibbous and then Receiving shall also occur on the prior Thursday at 9:46 AM.
"The pink copies go to accounting, the fuchsia ones go to purchasing, and the goldenrod ones go to Roz. Leave the puce!"

TP2000

In some layoff news for the hotels.......
Steakhouse 55 was decimated
Storytellers cafe not as bad
Napa Rose pretty much untouched
Paradies pier everything took big hits
Room Service eviscerated
Valet is now non existent

Knowing what we know from how they were going to operate when they tried to open back in July, that's not surprising.

The Disneyland Hotel was to remain closed, remember gang? And the other two Disney hotels were going to operate at vastly reduced capacity. There's no need to continue staffing Disneyland Hotel and its facilities, because it's obvious it won't reopen within the next six months. Maybe a year or more.

And when they do reopen the other two Disney hotels, the capacity will such that they'll need to funnel everyone they can to a couple key remaining locations there.

That said, I'm the least surprised at Steakhouse 55. That place had become a sad joke.

Especially with three (3) actual top-tier steakhouses within a few blocks of it; Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and now an brand new Flemings literally a block away. And oh my Gawd.... it's all flooding back... the cocktail lounge at Steakhouse 55 was atrociously bad! For years! It was like a really pathetic joke. With some truly charmless Cast Members.

I'm also not surprised they took this opportunity to kill off the valet teams. Those guys were mostly so uniformly grumpy and lumpy, they did nothing for the "brand" at either of the three properties they worked at. And when it's time a couple years from now to relaunch bellmen and room service staffs it's a concept that can easily be replaced by this...

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Knowing what we know from how they were going to operate when they tried to open back in July, that's not surprising.

The Disneyland Hotel was to remain closed, remember gang? And the other two Disney hotels were going to operate at vastly reduced capacity. There's no need to continue staffing Disneyland Hotel and its facilities, because it's obvious it won't reopen within the next six months. Maybe a year or more.

And when they do reopen the other two Disney hotels, the capacity will such that they'll need to funnel everyone they can to a couple key remaining locations there.

That said, I'm the least surprised at Steakhouse 55. That place had become a sad joke.

Especially with three (3) actual top-tier steakhouses within a few blocks of it; Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and now an brand new Flemings literally a block away. And oh my Gawd.... it's all flooding back... the cocktail lounge at Steakhouse 55 was atrociously bad! For years! It was like a really pathetic joke. With some truly charmless Cast Members.

I'm also not surprised they took this opportunity to kill off the valet teams. Those guys were mostly so uniformly grumpy and lumpy, they did nothing for the "brand" at either of the three properties they worked at. And when it's time a couple years from now to relaunch bellmen and room service staffs it's a concept that can easily be replaced by this...

This how Terminator starts.

fctiger

They are reporting cases are up 41% than just a month ago. That's nuts!!! And that's really the issue I think. They barely have a grip on it now here in California and they are desperately trying to make the numbers move south but the second you open all these parks, then all the progress can disappear in a matter of weeks.

I hear everyone that wants these parks open. Even I'm inching to go back to Disneyland now. But same time, you look at where things are nationally and I'm sorry I can't blame them for this move, especially given everyone is so afraid it can get worse once winter comes. Reality is there just needs to be a real national plan. Or we are gong to have this yo-yo effect for possibly years or at least until a vaccine comes. America should've done what so many other places did and most of these parks would be open now. Sure its easy to get upset over what the Governor is doing, but let's also remember majority of theme parks in the country are still closed. Florida is the only big exception. And to be fair it seems to be OK, but that state too is now going back up in cases, so yeah.

fctiger

Awwwwwww!

SuddenStorm

You make a very interesting point. There are a number of roles throughout the resort- the 'Vacation Planner' ticket booth roles, the QSFB cashier roles, Valet/Concierge roles, etc. that will need to be discontinued or greatly reduced due to Covid just to get the place open. I fully expect a number of these to not come back in full force ever.

Why pay a CM $16/hour to sell tickets when so many guests are able to do it online prior to arrival, or self service kiosks that can switch between languages easily can do just as good (if not better) of a job?

Of course, the downside is decreased guest interaction- which some management believe is 'essential' for creating Disney magic. It's tough to create memorable service if cast members have fewer guest interactions. Though on the flipside, it would greatly reduce the number of guest complaints due to grumpy CM's at the ticket booth or the cashier who misheard the order.

Last edited:

ThreadMaster5

I think Disneyland and it’s hotels will b open by December just in time for the Christmas season, but I’m still surprised steakhouse 55 even tho wasn’t as great as a flemings or Morton’s was still nearly full everyday of the week for dinner, but without indoor dining it isn’t that surprising and if it’s outdoor only dining that really only leaves the new craftsman bar and hearthstone lounge as the only dining options at the hotels, maybe trader sams?

George Lucas on a Bench

While that's a two way street and I don't agree with this sort of censorship regardless, there's been the same back and forth for months now and so much negativity from certain posters here arguing to keep the parks closed. It's unbelievable. It's happening to this very moment with people freaking out about the virus. Many of us never went in to "Lockdown" and go out every day into the pandemic to work. It just seems like there are a group of people here living in a totally different world than the one I've been living in since the Summer.

Gottalovepluto

I think Disneyland and it’s hotels will b open by December just in time for the Christmas season, but I’m still surprised steakhouse 55 even tho wasn’t as great as a flemings or Morton’s was still nearly full everyday of the week for dinner, but without indoor dining it isn’t that surprising and if it’s outdoor only dining that really only leaves the new craftsman bar and hearthstone lounge as the only dining options at the hotels, maybe trader sams?
Steakhouse 55 died to me when they nixed the gazillion layer chocolate cake. I’m ready for whatever overpriced experience is next!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom