Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Anjin

Original Poster

Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and other California theme parks are asking Gov. Gavin Newsom and his administration not to finalize COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines without first working with the industry.

The California Attractions and Parks Association asked state officials on Thursday, Oct. 1 to listen to theme park operators’ recommendations and modify some protocols before issuing reopening guidelines.

A growing chorus of theme parks, city leaders, state lawmakers and industry associations have called on Newsom to reopen Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland California and other amusement parks throughout the state.

Newsom said a month ago that he would announce a reopening plan for California theme parks “soon” and said two weeks ago that guidelines would be coming “very, very shortly.”

TP2000

These theme park companies got their first look at Newsom's guidance earlier on Thursday and they freaked out, which led to this panicky press release and statement.

The "dynamic conversation" that Newsom alleged to be happening hasn't been happening at all. And like we've been surmising in multiple other threads the last 48 hours, The Guidance is designed in such a way to keep Disneyland and most California theme parks closed for many more months and well into 2021.

And theme park guidance will now all be tied to Racial Equity rules that are being added to the Four Tier reopening plan effective Tuesday, October 6th which was when the next update to the Four Tiers comes out.

jerryp49

According to this guy ..limited to 120 mile radius and county must be in the Yellow Tier.. Orange County is presently in the Red Tier...Then must be in the orange tier for 3 weeks before graduating to the yellow tier.. Confusing .. and still just a rumor at this point..

Anjin

Original Poster
According to this guy ..limited to 120 mile radius and county must be in the Yellow Tier.. Orange County is presently in the Red Tier...Then must be in the orange tier for 3 weeks before graduating to the yellow tier.. Confusing .. and still just a rumor at this point..

This news certainly give leaks like this more credence.

TP2000

The Yellow Tier is already nearly impossible to reach for a county of 3.2 Million like OC, much less the 10 million people and two major theme parks in Los Angeles County.

But next week the state is layering on an additional requirement for the Four Tier system based on racial quotas; basically Latinos and Blacks in a county have to get down to the same low rates as Whites and Asians already have, regardless of whatever racially blind countywide scientific statistics may state.

We'll know more on that Racial Equity Quota system in a few days, as it's a new rule that leaked in the media late today and hasn't officially been communicated by the state.

But it's going to make getting to the Yellow Tier even harder for Orange County, and it was already nearly impossible.

George Lucas on a Bench

Obviously, we are a long time off from a Disneyland reopening. We'll all be significantly older when we eventually pass through the gates of Disneyland, masked and oppressed, in very limited numbers to board an egg-shaped car in the haunted house ride where the narrator tells us to not pull down the safety bar and there's very likely many extra layers of dust collected.

So. I'm an old man who isn't getting any younger. But we all need to face the music here. We will all be much older when we eventually enter Disneyland again if it's still in operation. So how can we preserve our looks? What moisturizers and retinol are we recommending? Perhaps Botox?

TP2000

Obviously, we are a long time off from a Disneyland reopening. We'll all be significantly older when we eventually pass through the gates of Disneyland, masked and oppressed, in very limited numbers to board an egg-shaped car in the haunted house ride where the narrator tells us to not pull down the safety bar and there's very likely many extra layers of dust collected.

So. I'm an old man who isn't getting any younger. But we all need to face the music here. We will all be much older when we eventually enter Disneyland again if it's still in operation. So how can we preserve our looks? What moisturizers and retinol are we recommending? Perhaps Botox?

Just over the hill and across the canyon from me, about 12 miles as the crow flies from Disneyland. A darling place with expert staff. When they finish with you you'd barely be able tell you've had anything done, I swear! You just look... fresher, and younger, and moister.

And the owner and doctor in charge is actually the current mayor of Yorba Linda. She's a very talented lady.

Last edited:

Disneyland68

The Yellow Tier is already nearly impossible to reach for a county of 3.2 Million like OC, much less the 10 million people and two major theme parks in Los Angeles County.

But next week the state is layering on an additional requirement for the Four Tier system based on racial quotas; basically Latinos and Blacks in a county have to get down to the same low rates as Whites and Asians already have, regardless of whatever racially blind countywide scientific statistics may state.

We'll know more on that Racial Equity Quota system in a few days, as it's a new rule that leaked in the media late today and hasn't officially been communicated by the state.

But it's going to make getting to the Yellow Tier even harder for Orange County, and it was already nearly impossible.
Aloha,

If this indeed becomes true, I just can't fathom the immense trail of destruction for DLR, Anaheim and OC. It will be beyond my comprehension. It's basically declaring Civil War between Big Government and Free Enterprise. The first shot of our second Civil War in so many ways.

cmwade77

These regulations must be ridiculously strict since theme parks have been okay with the regulations that other states have set.
Yes, why can't we just take another states (if you don't like Florida, pick a different state like Tennessee) theme park guidelines and change the state name to California and call it a day?

Seriously, the guidelines have worked everywhere else in the country.

TP2000

Aloha,

If this indeed becomes true, I just can't fathom the immense trail of destruction for DLR, Anaheim and OC. It will be beyond my comprehension. It's basically declaring Civil War between Big Government and Free Enterprise. The first shot of our second Civil War in so many ways.

I've been trying to tamp down my own gut instincts based on known information here today, but...

Your statement is not unreasonable.

If we get The Guidance tomorrow and it includes stuff like "Stay Closed Until You Are In The Yellow Tier For 30 Days" and "Only Allow Customers That Live Within 120 Miles Of Your Amusement Park" on top of the "Covid Rates For Whites and Asians Don't Count Towards Reopening" new rules, then what you just said is pretty much accurate.

Oh, and when you do open in late 2021, you can't go over 25% of your designed customer capacity. Have fun!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom