Obstructed Savannah "Standard" View at AKL

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
We've booked AKL standard view twice before and, by chance, we were given rooms that had "obstructed" savannah views. The views were so good that we thought we had been given a free upgrade, but a cast member told us it was actually just an obstructed view standard room. We've booked our third trip there now and I made a room request for one of the obstructed savanna view rooms, but I don't want to get my hopes up if these are few and far between and we were just really lucky twice in a row. I believe I read somewhere a while back that a lot of the standard view rooms are obstructed savannah, but I can't seem to find that anymore. Anyone have any insight on this?

BuddyThomas

I remember either @Tony the Tigger or @BuddyThomas mentioning that before in a trip report. Maybe they'll chime in about it.
Yah, this was the view from our "standard" room. I don't remember them telling us anything about obstructed savannah, but we were having fun with the check-in person and maybe our friendliness paid off?

Tony the Tigger

Same here.

You can see the room number.

I had booked a standard view. At check-in, I asked how much it would cost to upgrade the view for our special occasion. It was too much.

The CM was very nice, and checked to see if she could find us what she called a “partial view.”

We were thrilled with it!

If you don’t get one, we also realized there are so many places to animal-watch: hallway windows, designated public balconies, etc.

allymonkey

Would love a partial savanna view when we are there. But my son is just thrilled that we will be staying at a hotel with a "real" balcony for the first time (we usually stay at moderates but got a pretty good room rate this time). When I told him some rooms can see the animals from their rooms he said "Nope. I would rather go out where the firepit and rocking chairs are."

dreamfinder

Touring Plans has a great map here -> https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge that shows you exactly how each room is classified. Yes, there are alot of rooms that have questionable views of the savannah, and are classified as standard view. I don't think they want to have someone pay for savannah and then get a view that is half pen/enclosures and half savannah and demand a refund, so they just make them as standard view.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Touring Plans has a great map here -> https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge that shows you exactly how each room is classified. Yes, there are alot of rooms that have questionable views of the savannah, and are classified as standard view. I don't think they want to have someone pay for savannah and then get a view that is half pen/enclosures and half savannah and demand a refund, so they just make them as standard view.
Definitely. We've been lucky with these partial views in the past and loved them (paying "standard" rates). Thanks! Just based off of touring plans, it looks like about half of the standard view rooms actually have obstructed views, this definitely makes me marginally more optimistic!

Last edited:

Jeremy Geertsema

If you ask nicely, they may just upgrade you.

In December we booked a standard view, and just asked politely what the added cost would be for a savannah view, and they moved us to a savannah room without cost!

awoogala

Yah, this was the view from our "standard" room. I don't remember them telling us anything about obstructed savannah, but we were having fun with the check-in person and maybe our friendliness paid off?

WOW! we've never, ever, ever, been upgraded, ever. not at beach club, animal kingdom, contemporary, boardwalk, poly, art of animation, river whatever the heck (hated it), contemporary garden rooms 6 more times...lol
the thing is, we go at least 1 time a year. I feel they know we're coming back..sigh. even at ak, when we had to wait well over an hour for them to fix our bands..and find us a room... sigh. we got the worst room. lol oh well, I guess I could pay more for "club level" but it isn't worth the $300 upgrade for a corona and some snacks to me..

slappy magoo

Our last trip, after months of my wife saying "I'm just happy to stay at Animal Kingdom, savannah view is no big deal" we get there and she's like "...maybe we can ask to pay for an upgrade?" Long story short, they said there's really no view in the room we have, but if we don't mind switching the next day we could have a partial savannah view the rest of our stay no additional charge. From that balcony, we could see the pool and the path to it on our left, but straight ahead and to the right was all savannah, great view great pics.

Same here.
View attachment 363171View attachment 363172View attachment 363173View attachment 363174

I had booked a standard view. At check-in, I asked how much it would cost to upgrade the view for our special occasion. It was too much.

The CM was very nice, and checked to see if she could find us what she called a “partial view.”

If you don’t get one, we also realized there are so many places to animal-watch: hallway windows, designated public balconies, etc.

Hi! I'm new to the scene, was this a one or two bedroom? I am thinking about making a specific room request. I checked out Touring Plans, so I have an idea or two of 2 bedroom with decent views. My daughter would love to be able to see the Okapi, but we are happy with whatever we get!

dreamfinder

Hi! I'm new to the scene, was this a one or two bedroom? I am thinking about making a specific room request. I checked out Touring Plans, so I have an idea or two of 2 bedroom with decent views. My daughter would love to be able to see the Okapi, but we are happy with whatever we get!

At AKL Jambo house unless the room number has the DVC logo on it, it would be a standard hotel room. (Unless it is one of the presidential type suites)

danheaton

I've used the Touring Plans Room Request tool twice with the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and both times we've received obstructed standard rooms with great views. We haven't gotten exactly the room we requested, but they were close. After doing a savannah room once and not finding it that much better (only big benefit was being closer to the lobby), I decided it wasn't worth it. There's no guarantee, but your chances are good since most don't request something that specific.

I am seriously considering flipping from Beach Club to AKL. A change from $555 to $497 and still getting a Savannah view still is something to consider. That's money that could easily go to other things, I love Yacht and Beach first off. However, ever if I can get a Savannah Room at AKL for a standard room rate (cheaper than YC/BC) then I'll do it. I get a great amenity out of it still.

Last edited:
Same here.
View attachment 363171View attachment 363172View attachment 363173View attachment 363174

So all we have to do is ask at the front desk? Any ideas of somehow getting it done beforehand to reserve it ahead of time? Just wondering because this is amazing.

At AKL Jambo house unless the room number has the DVC logo on it, it would be a standard hotel room. (Unless it is one of the presidential type suites)
I didn't realize the DVC rooms had the logo on them there. Interesting! We are staying in a DVC room, my MIL has it and doesn't use it much since my Brother in Law is now 15 and not interested in Disney anymore. Works for us because our girls are 8 and 4 and they are still into the magic!

dreamfinder

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom