Observations on Universal Parks

TalkingHead

Original Poster
Spent this hot, 83-degree December day (felt more like May) having a fun time at the Universal parks. A few stray observations that I thought I’d share:

The Christmas decorations at IOA are primarily restricted to Port of Entry and Seuss Landing. The decorations in Seuss are very well done (better than what I’ve seen at MK in recent years). There were a few Christmas trees and garland in the Jurassic Park stores and restaurants. As good as the decorations are in Seuss, IOA as a whole really could add decorations throughout the park.

The Studios park does a great job decorating the New York section. Lots of garland, lights, and Christmas tunes. Not many decorations elsewhere in the park.

We also did the Grinchmas show and Macy’s parade. Both were largely (or completely?) the same as in recent years. Grinchmas is a cute show, made less fun by having to queue up in the sun outside the soundstage. It’s a temporary show, so I wouldn’t expect them to put up a covered queue. We did the 11:45 show, and when we got out the 12:45 show looked like it was going to have a much longer line.

The Macy’s parade is longer than I remembered it being. Two high school bands, a number of floats, a bunch of balloons. I’m not a big fan of parades, but this one is suitably festive.

SeaWorld is definitely the best Orlando park when it comes to Christmas decorations and entertainment. But I really appreciate that Universal does the Grinchmas show and Macy’s parade for day guests. Irks me to no end that MK holds back on the festivities unless you’re willing to pay the upcharge. Not very magical if you ask me.

The crowds seemed mildly heavy, but the waits weren’t bad. The longest I saw was Despicable Me at 40-50 minutes and FJ at 45. Everything else was 15 minutes or less.

I continue to be impressed by Universal’s food. We ate at Three Broomsticks and had roasted chicken and fish and chips. The roasted chicken was a very generous and tasty portion. I liked the roasted potatoes, and the corn on the cob was all right. That dish was $10.99, I believe. The fish and chips were really good, too, and a couple of dollars more. I wonder what $10.99 would get me at Cosmic Ray’s? I doubt I’d want to consume it.

Pumpkin fizz is delicious. I’ll take it over pumpkin juice.

Until recently I didn’t know they sold baked goods at Honeyduke’s in WWoHP. I tried the cauldron cake ($3.50) and would get that again. Anyone have other suggestions for Honeyduke’s baked goods? Fudge or pumpkin tarts?

Underrated attraction at IOA: High in the Sky Seuss Trolley. Had only been on this back when it opened, but it’s really a nice little, zippy Peoplemover-like ride. Great views of Marvel Island, too.

We also tried out the magic show in Lost Continent, which was short but entertaining. The magician didn’t oversell the products (the show is a quasi-sales pitch for the magic tricks the store sells). Worth checking out if you’ve never seen it before.

I’d never noticed the fire-escape ladder effect on the left side of the first screen in Spider-man. I guess I’d always thought the physical prop of the ladder was part of the screen.

The queue for Dr. Doom is so good. I understand the appeal of the ride (brief thrill, great views), but I’m game for the upcoming polercoaster. /Parkscope

I rode Rip, Ride, Rockit because my wife had never been on it. I think it was my third time, her first and last. I wonder if it would be a more enjoyable ride with different lap bars. The ones they have are brutal if you’re over 6’0 and not stick-thin.

I’ve mocked the E.T. ride mercilessly in the past for its psychedelic second half, but I stand corrected. The scale of that ride is huge, much bigger than I remember! I know there are rumors that a lot of the current rides will get some upgrades over the next few years. With a little care (upgraded Animatronics, maybe replace the say-your-name ET at the end, adjust the awkward beginning of the queue that goes from the “passport” consoles to the forest), this ride could be stellar. I don’t think it’ll ever be a headliner, but it’s already a wonderful dark ride.

There’s enough to do in the two parks that there’s no way to do Universal in one day unless you’re willing to skip some major attractions. If your idea of “doing” Epcot involves only riding SSE, Test Track and Soarin, then yeah, you can “do” Universal in a day. But if you want to optimally "do" Universal, it’s two days at least. And that's before Diagon Alley (and JP...and anything else...).

IndianaJones

Spent this hot, 83-degree December day (felt more like May) having a fun time at the Universal parks. A few stray observations that I thought I’d share:

The Christmas decorations at IOA are primarily restricted to Port of Entry and Seuss Landing. The decorations in Seuss are very well done (better than what I’ve seen at MK in recent years). There were a few Christmas trees and garland in the Jurassic Park stores and restaurants. As good as the decorations are in Seuss, IOA as a whole really could add decorations throughout the park.

The Studios park does a great job decorating the New York section. Lots of garland, lights, and Christmas tunes. Not many decorations elsewhere in the park.

We also did the Grinchmas show and Macy’s parade. Both were largely (or completely?) the same as in recent years. Grinchmas is a cute show, made less fun by having to queue up in the sun outside the soundstage. It’s a temporary show, so I wouldn’t expect them to put up a covered queue. We did the 11:45 show, and when we got out the 12:45 show looked like it was going to have a much longer line.

The Macy’s parade is longer than I remembered it being. Two high school bands, a number of floats, a bunch of balloons. I’m not a big fan of parades, but this one is suitably festive.

SeaWorld is definitely the best Orlando park when it comes to Christmas decorations and entertainment. But I really appreciate that Universal does the Grinchmas show and Macy’s parade for day guests. Irks me to no end that MK holds back on the festivities unless you’re willing to pay the upcharge. Not very magical if you ask me.

The crowds seemed mildly heavy, but the waits weren’t bad. The longest I saw was Despicable Me at 40-50 minutes and FJ at 45. Everything else was 15 minutes or less.

I continue to be impressed by Universal’s food. We ate at Three Broomsticks and had roasted chicken and fish and chips. The roasted chicken was a very generous and tasty portion. I liked the roasted potatoes, and the corn on the cob was all right. That dish was $10.99, I believe. The fish and chips were really good, too, and a couple of dollars more. I wonder what $10.99 would get me at Cosmic Ray’s? I doubt I’d want to consume it.

Pumpkin fizz is delicious. I’ll take it over pumpkin juice.

Until recently I didn’t know they sold baked goods at Honeyduke’s in WWoHP. I tried the cauldron cake ($3.50) and would get that again. Anyone have other suggestions for Honeyduke’s baked goods? Fudge or pumpkin tarts?

Underrated attraction at IOA: High in the Sky Seuss Trolley. Had only been on this back when it opened, but it’s really a nice little, zippy Peoplemover-like ride. Great views of Marvel Island, too.

We also tried out the magic show in Lost Continent, which was short but entertaining. The magician didn’t oversell the products (the show is a quasi-sales pitch for the magic tricks the store sells). Worth checking out if you’ve never seen it before.

I’d never noticed the fire-escape ladder effect on the left side of the first screen in Spider-man. I guess I’d always thought the physical prop of the ladder was part of the screen.

The queue for Dr. Doom is so good. I understand the appeal of the ride (brief thrill, great views), but I’m game for the upcoming polercoaster. /Parkscope

I rode Rip, Ride, Rockit because my wife had never been on it. I think it was my third time, her first and last. I wonder if it would be a more enjoyable ride with different lap bars. The ones they have are brutal if you’re over 6’0 and not stick-thin.

I’ve mocked the E.T. ride mercilessly in the past for its psychedelic second half, but I stand corrected. The scale of that ride is huge, much bigger than I remember! I know there are rumors that a lot of the current rides will get some upgrades over the next few years. With a little care (upgraded Animatronics, maybe replace the say-your-name ET at the end, adjust the awkward beginning of the queue that goes from the “passport” consoles to the forest), this ride could be stellar. I don’t think it’ll ever be a headliner, but it’s already a wonderful dark ride.

There’s enough to do in the two parks that there’s no way to do Universal in one day unless you’re willing to skip some major attractions. If your idea of “doing” Epcot involves only riding SSE, Test Track and Soarin, then yeah, you can “do” Universal in a day. But if you want to optimally "do" Universal, it’s two days at least. And that's before Diagon Alley (and JP...and anything else...).

I bolded the 2 that really jumped out at me.

I don't get the hate that some people have for Universal CS. When some friends and I went on a day trip back in September, we ate at the recently refurbished Simpsons area. Fastfood Blvd. We loved it. I had the Chicken and Waffle sandwich and would gladly get it again.

I adore the ET Adventure. But I tend to agree with you. The wooded area of the queue is awesome, but think about how much better the experience would be if the doors opened and you were there immediately.

Thanks for sharing.

disney4life2008

In terms of park themeing - US/IOA combined win me over HS regardless of season. HS always seems so stale to me more so during the day time. But I love the street leading to TOT. As for the food at US/IOA I looove it. I always get the meal deal (if they still have it).

danpam1024

I agree with all your observations! With all that's new and improving in UOR, we can only hope the Christmas holiday theming gets bigger and better as well. Perhaps it is a bit subdued due to the over the top Halloween and Mardi Gras celebrations- who knows. WWoHP always feels "wintery" to me :)

Dog Ate Mouse

Nice report. I can hardly wait to go in 2014. I am really looking forward to it actually dying because the wait is killing me and reports like yours should be banned for people like me that have to wait. Honestly, really nice report. I have never seen or have eaten at three Broomsticks and will keep thaton my list of things to do and see. I love E.T. That ride is wonderful and makes me relate to the Movie quite a bit. I love going through the forrest to get on the ride and soaring over the people/Police trying to stop us on the flying bikes. Uni is a three day park for me because we need the third day to see the rst of what we could not see or ride. Uni is really a fun filled park that blows your mind and makes you laugh and smile and at time be scared. Dr. Doom is great and when you finally get through the que and sit down, you can feel your heart start to pump and fear and excitment rise. Uni and IOA is surely not at large as WDW but has so much to offer and experiece. For the amount of space when you think about it, there is so much to see and do. IOA does have a Xmas shop in the beginning or at least it use to. The DW and I bought a Few items from that store that we put on our tree every year. It brings back a lot of good memories.

TalkingHead

Original Poster
Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’m just putting this here.

Got to USF at 9:15 this morning, and Despicable Me already had a 40 minute wait that was actually 60 minutes. By the time we got off the ride, it was 80 minutes.

Obviously the location has a lot to do with the wait times, but I’d forgotten how fun the ride is. Be interesting to see how/if the wait times drop when Diagon opens.

Had another enjoyable lunch at Mythos. Wife had the meatloaf, and I had the fish tacos. Both were very good. The watermelon-tomato medley was delicious. I was able to make our reservations yesterday online. Extremely convenient. Just saying.

We caught the Sinbad show for the first time in forever. For such an elaborate set, the audio for the performers is awful. To my ears, it’s unintelligible for the most part.

Man, that Hogsmeade station is going to be right up on the Sinbad theater. I’d read that online, but seeing it is another thing.

From the Sinbad theater, you can see that the future train station’s view of Hogsmeade and Hogwarts in the background should be outstanding.

The entry to Hogsmeade with construction walls already looks better than the carnival games ever did. Now just tear down the carnival games between Marvel and Toon Lagoon.

I hadn't realized how much room they have to work with at Toon Lagoon. Makes me think they might actually be able to pull off something "epic" in scope there.

Random sighting: Devon Murray (Seamus from the Potter films) waiting to get backdoored into Ollivander’s. I doubted it was him because he was just there for the Potter Celebration, but all-knowing Twitter says he was at Uni today.

Noticed two of the water features on Popeye’s were off. I’m assuming it was because of the cool weather in the morning and evening.

In the single-riders’ line at Spidey, the Green Goblin costumed character was creeping through the line sneaking up on people and startling them. It looked like he was headed backstage and just did this for fun. Needless to say, he got some great reactions from guests. Might even say it was a magical moment (registered trademark).

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Original Poster
This gives a better idea what the entrance to Hogsmeade looks like with the Lost Continent games torn down.
hogsm1.jpg hogsm2.jpg

JT3000

I just hope they intend to fill that empty space with something. I didn't like the carnival games, but I also don't like the further loss of LC theming.

TalkingHead

Original Poster
I feel like the view is actually a minus, I liked how you couldn't see much until you rounded the corner and then BAM! Hogsmeade.

If they fill in the area with some dense forest scenery, I think it'll be better than it was. But, yeah, I see what you're saying.

StageFrenzy

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’m just putting this here.

Got to USF at 9:15 this morning, and Despicable Me already had a 40 minute wait that was actually 60 minutes. By the time we got off the ride, it was 80 minutes.

Obviously the location has a lot to do with the wait times, but I’d forgotten how fun the ride is. Be interesting to see how/if the wait times drop when Diagon opens.

DM suffers from SSE syndrome without the capacity of SSE and it has all ages appeal. Other than those two rides there are not attractions in any of the Florida parks that are that close to the entrance. DM could really benefit from "hollywooding" the Florida attraction. I believe they could make it work with some creative line management/rerouting at HRRR. I don't think DM will have a lower than 40 min wait for at least 7 years*.

*park opening aside

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom