Observations from our trip

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We just got back. I took my Olympus TG-4, Canon D7, and cellphone. Lost the cellphone on day 1 when something cracked the glass over the lens. Below are my observations...

Olympus TG-4
When taking still images, while not walking, outdoor images with proper lighting are very good. However, many pictures I tried taking required to be done while moving: Pandora walk to FoP, walking to surf lessons at TL, and just general simple movements. Many of those pictures turned out bad. When I could stand still and take the shot, they came out great. In lower light situations, the pictures are absolutely horrible.

Canon 7D
It got old carrying around the weight. I chose not to this trip for the most part. I attempted to shoot RoL, but I had to jack the ISO up so high, wide open at f2.8, and a speed of 60. It just never lived up to being able to get anything. I will leave that to the experts with a lot better gear than me. I have seen some photos of what people have and they are night and day vs what I got.

IMO, I am not carrying around the weight of a DSLR any more, at least not in the Summer heat. There were plenty of great shots with the P&S that the weight is not worth it. I also come to the conclusion that there are FAR better photographers than me as a picture taker. It is better to get the excellent pics from them than my junk pics. The weight and compactness of the P&S made it very easy. I realized to take 3-4 pics of each shot to insure one came out just right.

drizgirl

I'm really surprised the 7D did so poorly with RoL. What's the highest ISO you're happy with? I'd sure love to give that show a try with my 6D. But I can sure understand not wanting to carry it around in the summer heat.

Thanks for the report!

fractal

We just got back. I took my Olympus TG-4, Canon D7, and cellphone. Lost the cellphone on day 1 when something cracked the glass over the lens. Below are my observations...

Olympus TG-4
When taking still images, while not walking, outdoor images with proper lighting are very good. However, many pictures I tried taking required to be done while moving: Pandora walk to FoP, walking to surf lessons at TL, and just general simple movements. Many of those pictures turned out bad. When I could stand still and take the shot, they came out great. In lower light situations, the pictures are absolutely horrible.

Canon 7D
It got old carrying around the weight. I chose not to this trip for the most part. I attempted to shoot RoL, but I had to jack the ISO up so high, wide open at f2.8, and a speed of 60. It just never lived up to being able to get anything. I will leave that to the experts with a lot better gear than me. I have seen some photos of what people have and they are night and day vs what I got.

IMO, I am not carrying around the weight of a DSLR any more, at least not in the Summer heat. There were plenty of great shots with the P&S that the weight is not worth it. I also come to the conclusion that there are FAR better photographers than me as a picture taker. It is better to get the excellent pics from them than my junk pics. The weight and compactness of the P&S made it very easy. I realized to take 3-4 pics of each shot to insure one came out just right.

Thanks for your observations.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
It was drizzling rain, so that may have come into play. I had to crank ISO up to 6400. I had to drop speed so low that I could not get the motion shots fast enough.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In my experience the 7D really isn't much good over ISO3200, so is really not good for RoL. Unfortunately a limitation of that sensor's age now. More recent sensors significantly outperform it, which is what you are seeing in other's images.

Thanks for your observations.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. I am happy with the 7D for my main purpose...pictures of DD playing soccer.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you for the information. I am happy with the 7D for my main purpose...pictures of DD playing soccer.
Yeah in good light it performs well, and the crop sensor makes it ideal for sports photography with a bit more reach.

rob0519

Just out of curiosity, was your phone a Samsung Galaxy? There have been hundreds of reported incidents of the lens cracking in a circular pattern going back to versions 4,5,6 and 7 without any type of drop or other impact. I don't know about 8. Mine cracked overnight on the kitchen counter while it was being recharged overnight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom