Observations about Shanghai Disneyland: visit on 06/11/2019

Absimilliard

Original Poster
By a complete fluke, I was able to visit every Disney theme park in the world in the span of 10 months. Like, I was supposed to visit Hong Kong Disneyland in June 2018, but I had to reroute my flights to Indonesia and ended up with a 3 hours layover in Hong Kong instead of 8. Then, ended up in Paris flying back from Sweden, etc. All in all, I ended the tour with Shanghai Disneyland last last month.

For Shanghai Disneyland, park was very crowded since school holidays were starting. Got in at 08:45 after the park opened at 08:30 and there was already no fast passes for Soaring Above the Horizons left and a 105 minutes queue already. Other fast passes were nearly gone, so got one for Seven Dwarves Mine Train later and stopped walking toward Adventure Isle. I went back on the Shanghai Disneyland app and bought the 8 attractions Premier Access. This is a set of use any time you want paid fast pass for the 8 major attractions and this saved us, even if it was more expensive than park admission. None of the Toy Story Land attractions were included, which was fine by me as Rex's Racer is an almost impossible ride to fit in for someone over 6 feet tall. The pivot point for the shoulder restraint is too low and was digging into my shoulders before it even touched my belly and I could not get the short belt buckled in. In Paris, the same ride was modified with longer seatbelt seats in row 1 and 5, but its not something they did in Hong Kong and Shanghai. For Pirates, they restored the splash effect in the grand scene where you emerge from water. They had deactivated for years due to guest complaints, but finally brought it back.

TRON was running amazing and since I was in town for IAAPA, I did an education session with IAAPA that took place at Shanghai Disneyland. We visited Team Disney Shanghai, TRON (Seven Dwarves Mine Train for some) and other facilities at the park. IAAPA is the largest association of amusement parks owners, manufacturers and operators in the world. They held their Expo Asia trade show in Shanghai this year.

For lunch, we had food at the Stargazer Grill in Tomorrowland. Amazing Captain America Wagyu Burger in a red bun and cool float. My girlfriend had a spicy grilled chicken sandwich and it was great. I also discovered that they sell Dole Whip: Tomorrowland too, downstairs in the snack place under the spiral staircase. Its themed to Stitch too.

Merchandise was disapointing as they barely have any attraction or land branded items left. TRON had a small selection left, no more adult t-shirt and best I could get for Adventure Isle was a school set with pens, erasers, etc.

We're in Shanghai now, but can't put Chinese apps on our American Android phones, as far as we know.

We're you able to install the Chinese app onto a US phone or did you use Chinese phone?

Absimilliard

Original Poster
We're in Shanghai now, but can't put Chinese apps on our American Android phones, as far as we know.

We're you able to install the Chinese app onto a US phone or did you use Chinese phone?

Downloaded the Shanghai Disneyland before my trip back home in Canada. Then, once at Shanghai Disneyland, I put in my Canada phone number to get an access code to access Wifi.

PiratesMansion

I was able to download and install the Shanghai Disneyland app on my phone months before I left on my US Android.

Shanghai's queues are absurd and it's crazy how fast the FPs go (although it makes you wonder how much is truly available for all and how many Disney is holding on to, hoping that people pay for FPs instead). Soarin' was gone before Early entry was over both days. I worry that Tokyo will play out the same way now that they also have FPs on the app (which to my knowledge is neither in English nor in any US app store...although it looks like Tom Bricker was able to get it? I don't know).

I didn't fit on RC/Rex's Racer in Hong Kong, just clearly wasn't going to happen, but then I fit easily in Shanghai. Maybe I just got lucky? Are there more larger guests in Mainland China vs. Hong Kong? Seemed very arbitrary to me.

I was able to wrangle up some Chinese mobile phones from friends.
The problem for my phone is that I don't have international roaming, so I can't receive SMS access code from the app. I should have done it from home.

There is a likely reason that fast pass are hard to find in SHDL, Chinese get season passes here and run a side business where they stand in line for their customers and notify them when to switch. You can have several people working together to hold spots for you, effectively giving you near VIP level access. This service is 1500-2000 RMB, which compares to SHDL wanting 9000 RMB for the official service.
We are not going to partake in the fake service, but I'd bet that puts pressure on the fast pass system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom