Obi-Wan Kenobi film in the works

tk924

Original Poster
Maybe?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

I'm afraid this would be a disaster if they don't get Ewan McGregor back.

More links...

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-movie-disney-stephen-daldry-1202531346/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/17/star-wars-obi-wan-spin-off/
EW’s sources say there’s still an “if” involved, but yes — we can confirm this is a movie that’s being actively explored as a possible stand-alone beyond 2019’s Episode IX.

A source close to the filmmaker suggested it is far from a done deal, calling the news “premature, at best.”

As of now, there is no script and no cast. But any film like this would want to secure a filmmaker before taking those steps, so McGregor’s involvement is certainly a possibility.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

This is a star wars movie I really want to see. But without Ewan, I'm not too sure. I just can't see them not get him as he has said he would love to do it. And why have him voice a line in force awakens. My absolute favorite part of the prequels was Ewans Obiwan, so if hes in, I'm all in!

ppete1975

What happened to him after episode 3 is a story I want to see more than even boba fett, maybe a vader movie after episode 3 (getting used to the suit and just obliterating tons of jedis and people) id love to see it be dark with an R rating but prob only pg13.
As far as obiwan it really has to be ewan and hes said he wants to do it sooooo hopefully it happens, I'm sure he went on missions, saved luke a few times without luke knowing, and maybe had a gf....

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI Series Reportedly In The Works For Disney+ Streaming Service

The movie apparently got shelved so now it turned into a miniseries.

ppete1975

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI Series Reportedly In The Works For Disney+ Streaming Service

The movie apparently got shelved so now it turned into a miniseries.
At first I thought this was horrible, and was very disappointed... but as long as "Ewan McGregor remains on board the project regardless of what form it takes" then I'm completely fine with it. I think we need more star wars in the theater. Yes 8 wasn't what I wanted, but solo was a good movie and if they can make 8 marvel movies a year, I think star wars can have 1 or 2. The fan base needs to just stop being babies because rian Johnson didn't understand star wars and kennedy is inept.

erasure fan1

At first I thought this was horrible, and was very disappointed... but as long as "Ewan McGregor remains on board the project regardless of what form it takes" then I'm completely fine with it. I think we need more star wars in the theater. Yes 8 wasn't what I wanted, but solo was a good movie and if they can make 8 marvel movies a year, I think star wars can have 1 or 2. The fan base needs to just stop being babies because rian Johnson didn't understand star wars and kennedy is inept.
I know Disney really wants to push Disney+ and star wars is how they want to do it. But I think of all the things they could make into a TV series, Obi-Wan shouldn’t be one of them. I think it would be a bad move to turn the one movie most everyone wanted, into a series. It deserves a big screen appearance in my opinion. Yea some of the fans have been off their rockers. But as long as Kennedy is around, there will be a major lack of vision and more miss-steps like last jedi. So I can't really blame fans for being upset with the product.

ppete1975

as long as we get ewan McGregor I'm happy. Id be mad if they went cheap and went unknown actor. Especially since hes so willing.
Black krrsantan... ig88 and bossk as villians
and id prob have a heart attack

erasure fan1

I don't know. Streaming series can have a lot of prestige: Game of Thrones; Handmaid's Tale; the various Defenders, etc...
100% agree, tv series no longer have that stigma of "oh it's only TV, I'm too good for that." That's why I think the Mandalorian could be great. New characters, time to develop them... you can pepper in some familiar characters for guest appearances. I just think with a character as established as Obi-Wan, you can tell the story you want in a 2 1/2 hr movie. And it's a movie that would help turn some of the fanbase around as the movie is wanted by most all generations of fans. But since fans are asking for it, I'm sure Disney wont do it.

tk924

Original Poster
I know Disney really wants to push Disney+ and star wars is how they want to do it. But I think of all the things they could make into a TV series, Obi-Wan shouldn’t be one of them. I think it would be a bad move to turn the one movie most everyone wanted, into a series. It deserves a big screen appearance in my opinion. Yea some of the fans have been off their rockers. But as long as Kennedy is around, there will be a major lack of vision and more miss-steps like last jedi. So I can't really blame fans for being upset with the product.

I do not understand why any corporation would not listen to what the majority of customers want most. It makes better sense to the bottom line, right? Or maybe in Disney's case, they've already recouped their investment so they don't really have to care or listen to fans.
Instead they gave us Solo which no one really asked for. It wasn't too bad but still miles above TLJ.
The fans have been wanting a Kenobi and Boba Fett movie since Disney bought LFL. Why not sprinkle those in after R1 in between their saga films?
Only thing I can figure is since they can't put the OT and PT immediately up on their streaming service, they have to put something SW related in there or the SW fan base isn't going to sign on. :greedy:
And I totally agree that without Ewan as Obi, it will not work no matter where you put it. I'm definitely not signing up for that.

erasure fan1

I do not understand why any corporation would not listen to what the majority of customers want most. It makes better sense to the bottom line, right? Or maybe in Disney's case, they've already recouped their investment so they don't really have to care or listen to fans.
I think the problem is a couple things in my eyes. Disney is extremely arrogant and thinks it (1) knows what we want better than we do, and (2) thinks its vision of star wars is better than even what Lucas did. The other issue is they can't make up their minds what they want. They tell us they need to push forward and go in new directions. But then we get Solo. It's like they want to break free from Lucas, but don't have the conviction to do so. That's why I have a problem with Kennedy, there just is no vision or direction. It's all just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks fly by the seat of your pants.

Ripken10

I think the problem is a couple things in my eyes. Disney is extremely arrogant and thinks it (1) knows what we want better than we do, and (2) thinks its vision of star wars is better than even what Lucas did. The other issue is they can't make up their minds what they want. They tell us they need to push forward and go in new directions. But then we get Solo. It's like they want to break free from Lucas, but don't have the conviction to do so. That's why I have a problem with Kennedy, there just is no vision or direction. It's all just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks fly by the seat of your pants.
Actually, I think its more they know the money lies in their streaming service right now. They want to get things on there that will bring people in, make it one of (if not the) biggest streaming service. They want hot tickets there now, cause in the long run, it can make them a ton of money if they hit the ground running.

erasure fan1

Actually, I think its more they know the money lies in their streaming service right now. They want to get things on there that will bring people in, make it one of (if not the) biggest streaming service. They want hot tickets there now, cause in the long run, it can make them a ton of money if they hit the ground running.
Agreed. Like I said a couple posts earlier, Disney wants star wars as a driving force for Disney+. But in the end, Disney is making the star wars that they want to make. What they feel is the best, even if the fans are telling them its not what they want. Thats the arrogance I'm talking about. And I know you can't only listen to the fans, but you can't completely ignore them either.

Ripken10

Agreed. Like I said a couple posts earlier, Disney wants star wars as a driving force for Disney+. But in the end, Disney is making the star wars that they want to make. What they feel is the best, even if the fans are telling them its not what they want. Thats the arrogance I'm talking about. And I know you can't only listen to the fans, but you can't completely ignore them either.
THis is where we will disagree. Star Wars has a huge fan base. Arguably the largest of any franchise. When you have a fan base that large you can never please everyone, and this has always been the case with Star Wars fanbase. Every fan didn't dislike Jedi. Jedi just was the start of a devide. For soMe it was exactly what they wanted and other it was not. It was still extremely popular. So you can't generalize and say what they are doing is not what the fans wanted.

Episode 5 wasn't as popular when it came out as it is now. Well documented how much many disliked the prequels (but again it was popular with some too). There was many that disliked force because they felt it repeated the same old story. It seems the problem is more with the fan base than any one movie or person in charge. For too many, Star Wars is "theirs" and anything except what they want will ruin it

erasure fan1

THis is where we will disagree. Star Wars has a huge fan base. Arguably the largest of any franchise. When you have a fan base that large you can never please everyone, and this has always been the case with Star Wars fanbase. Every fan didn't dislike Jedi. Jedi just was the start of a devide. For soMe it was exactly what they wanted and other it was not. It was still extremely popular. So you can't generalize and say what they are doing is not what the fans wanted.

Episode 5 wasn't as popular when it came out as it is now. Well documented how much many disliked the prequels (but again it was popular with some too). There was many that disliked force because they felt it repeated the same old story. It seems the problem is more with the fan base than any one movie or person in charge. For too many, Star Wars is "theirs" and anything except what they want will ruin it
I guess we'll see. There was a backlash with Solo, enough for Disney to slam the breaks on all the movies. So somethings not sitting well with all the fans. And like you said, largest fanbase, so even if the group that didn't like last jedi boycotted, Solo should have still done well, but it didn't. Part of why Solo failed (and I liked it) was that it was perceived as not needed by casual and hardcore fans. I agree with you 100% that you can't please all the fans. But to ignore the overall tone of the fans completely, is arrogant to me. There is no denying that last jedi fractured the fan base. Why? Because Kennedy wanted to change it up and Rian made the movie she wanted, knowing the fanbase wouldn't be too keen on it. That's why you saw pics from people in lucasfilm drinking from mugs that said fanboy tears. Because they didn't care. Sure you can't listen to the uber fanboys but I can guarantee it was bigger than just them.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom