O Canada and China

Stripes

So I know it’s just concept art but i was looking at the overall epcot image and there looks to be a new structure in Canada inbetwwen imagination and the current pavilion? I’m on limited wifi right now so I can’t post a photo till tomorrow. Is this something new? The DVC cabin kiosk? Or just art?
Are you able to describe what is pictured in the concept art now?

Is it just a super weirdly drawn World Showplace?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Empress Lilly

One country is the most important message. The SARs are not distinct. I'm sure the Party would also want Taiwan included in the film.
All the images of Tibet were removed for Reflections. Pity, they were beautiful and unique images of Lhasa. Maybe HK will follow suit this time.
But that all feels more as giving in to Western sensitivities rather than Chinese. (So much lWestern love for the backward religious autocracy)

Personally I hope all the Western references will go. I understand that they wish to make China feel less alien, are trying to show a more international influenced China for an introduction. But really, Shanghai as city where East meets West....Macao...Hong Kong as mixed West and East. Come on, China is a bit more distinctly Chinese.

Incidentally,I do hope Li Bai stays. There is a poetry to his words that suits the imagery, and the soundtrack. That suits EPCOT. If not as dreamy as IdF there is still a poetry which makes the movie repeatedly watchable. Rewatchable because it lives up to how Li Bai describes Chinese art: a poem in every painting, and a painting in every poem. RoC is at its best when it lives up to this, when evokes China through sheer choice of form. When it seeks to find the poetry of the land or city scape, or evokes imagery through poetry of words.

My money is on Disney just having Mulan show us around Mickey Avenue and calling it a day though.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Those trees look awful irl. I wasn't expecting that. Like they scored a cheap box of forgotten plastic Christmas trees that had been gathering dust in some garden shop storage since 1997.

Really rather unconvincing trees.

In the foreground, a real pine tree. In the background, a Pineas Plasticus Canadium.

Attachments

• 20190928_165858.jpg
    20190928_165858.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Those trees look awful irl. I wasn't expecting that. Like they scored a cheap box of forgotten plastic Christmas trees that had been gathering dust in some garden shop storage since 1997.

Really rather unconvincing trees.

In the foreground, a real pine tree. In the background, a Pineas Plasticus Canadium.
Wow...those are bad. Our fake Christmas tree looks way better and it was not expensive....but we do have to fluff up the branches after it's been in storage all year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom