Which Cruise would you prefer?

• 7 night Eastern Caribbean in April

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 6 night NYC to San Juan in Oct/Nov

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
Hi all, I’ll try and make this as short as possible...Just got back from our first cruise last week (4 night Bahamian from PC) and we loved it! Booked a placeholder and immediately started looking into what our next cruise should be. I jumped on a great stateroom for a 7 night eastern Caribbean in April 2021. Having said that, being outside of Philly, the 6 night NYC to San Juan (fall 2021) seems great to me. Local departure port, still cruising to the Caribbean, should be considerably cheaper and we could add a night or two in San Juan before flying home. My biggest worry is I hear that the waters up north can be pretty rough, anyone with experience of that? Obviously depends on many factors and can change from one cruise to the next, but I’d like t get an idea of just how big a risk we’d be taking that we won’t feel good for multiple days of our trip. Also, given the choice and considering everything (itinerary, weather, ship, cost), which of those cruises would you lean towards? Thanks for your input!!!

Phonedave

Hi all, I’ll try and make this as short as possible...Just got back from our first cruise last week (4 night Bahamian from PC) and we loved it! Booked a placeholder and immediately started looking into what our next cruise should be. I jumped on a great stateroom for a 7 night eastern Caribbean in April 2021. Having said that, being outside of Philly, the 6 night NYC to San Juan (fall 2021) seems great to me. Local departure port, still cruising to the Caribbean, should be considerably cheaper and we could add a night or two in San Juan before flying home. My biggest worry is I hear that the waters up north can be pretty rough, anyone with experience of that? Obviously depends on many factors and can change from one cruise to the next, but I’d like t get an idea of just how big a risk we’d be taking that we won’t feel good for multiple days of our trip. Also, given the choice and considering everything (itinerary, weather, ship, cost), which of those cruises would you lean towards? Thanks for your input!!!

I have sailed from NY Harbor (Port Liberty in Bayonne) to Bermuda three times in Aug/Sep (on Celebrity). I have never experienced anything that I would call rough.

I never head any mention of water in the area being particularly rough (outside of storms)

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
I have sailed from NY Harbor (Port Liberty in Bayonne) to Bermuda three times in Aug/Sep (on Celebrity). I have never experienced anything that I would call rough.

I never head any mention of water in the area being particularly rough (outside of storms)
Ok well that’s good to hear! I have seen a ton of people say that they experienced extremely rough seas leaving and returning to NYC. Most of which has been on DCL Facebook groups, but it’s been enough for me to wonder if I want to risk it with the kids etc. I can make due but I’d hate to have my kids miserable for multiple day’s of a vacation. Definitely good to hear that you’ve sailed multiple times out of NYC with no issues! Thank you for your feedback!

DisneyJoe

Ok well that’s good to hear! I have seen a ton of people say that they experienced extremely rough seas leaving and returning to NYC. Most of which has been on DCL Facebook groups, but it’s been enough for me to wonder if I want to risk it with the kids etc. I can make due but I’d hate to have my kids miserable for multiple day’s of a vacation. Definitely good to hear that you’ve sailed multiple times out of NYC with no issues! Thank you for your feedback!
I've had sailings in the past decade, either going out of Port Canaveral or returning to Port Canaveral be a little rough, just on the first or last night, never both - and it doesn't happen every time - and nothing where the kids would be miserable at all, just noticed a bit of roughness. We had a sailing from NYC to Quebec in Sept 2018 with no issues at all.

jme

There are a couple of factors here that I feel you are not considering. NY Waters aside...
1. Different ships - The one leaving from NYC will be the Magic, whereas the 7N Eastern will be on the Fantasy. The magic is smaller (some people see this as a plus, some do not) and they both have different features. For example Magic has the Aqua Dunk (drop bottom slide) vs the Fantasy having the Aqua Duck (same as your cruise on the Dream) - Magic has Rapunzels Royal Table (my personal favorite DCL restaurant) in place of the Fantasy's Enchanted Garden.. etc.

2. Time of year - Sailing out of NYC in October is going to be cold. Sure it will be warm by the time you reach Puerto Rico, but the first few nights will be chilly indeed. April in the Eastern Caribbean is going to be very pleasantly warm - again this is a matter of personal preference.

I voted in favor of the 7N Eastern personally, but you will have a great time with either sailing, I'm sure :)

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
There are a couple of factors here that I feel you are not considering. NY Waters aside...
1. Different ships - The one leaving from NYC will be the Magic, whereas the 7N Eastern will be on the Fantasy. The magic is smaller (some people see this as a plus, some do not) and they both have different features. For example Magic has the Aqua Dunk (drop bottom slide) vs the Fantasy having the Aqua Duck (same as your cruise on the Dream) - Magic has Rapunzels Royal Table (my personal favorite DCL restaurant) in place of the Fantasy's Enchanted Garden.. etc.

2. Time of year - Sailing out of NYC in October is going to be cold. Sure it will be warm by the time you reach Puerto Rico, but the first few nights will be chilly indeed. April in the Eastern Caribbean is going to be very pleasantly warm - again this is a matter of personal preference.

I voted in favor of the 7N Eastern personally, but you will have a great time with either sailing, I'm sure :)

thanks for your input! I am aware that it would be different ships, that’s just not as big a concern for me as itinerary and the possibly rough water etc. although I do understand that the smaller ship could be part of why there’s more movement. After being onthe dream, there is part of me that would like to try the Magic just because it is different. Weather is definitely a factor....we’re from outside of Philly so we’re no strangers to the cold....but vacationing in the cold is another story lol. We have to weigh those things vs the cost difference, as we’d save a good bit on the NYC toSan Juan. Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate any help I can get!

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
I've had sailings in the past decade, either going out of Port Canaveral or returning to Port Canaveral be a little rough, just on the first or last night, never both - and it doesn't happen every time - and nothing where the kids would be miserable at all, just noticed a bit of roughness. We had a sailing from NYC to Quebec in Sept 2018 with no issues at all.

oh ok that’s good to hear! It seems to be vert hit and miss, which sounds like could be the case with any itinerary. Guess it’s best to just make a decision and hope for the best haha

Kamikaze

On average, the eastern seaboard is mostly very calm, and the area around the northeast is calmer than the area around Florida.

If you're going NORTH - like Greenland - then yes, you'll see some big waves up there.

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
On average, the eastern seaboard is mostly very calm, and the area around the northeast is calmer than the area around Florida.

If you're going NORTH - like Greenland - then yes, you'll see some big waves up there.
Guess I shouldn’t have too much to worry about then, thanks!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Dont forget your trip insurance. The official hurricane season for the Atlantic Basin (the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico) is from 1 June to 30 November. Peak is mid August to Mid October.

Club Cooloholic

I think you will be fine, April the seas should be great, now I went once in February.. and my ship almost sank(Royal), lol. No lie

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
I think you will be fine, April the seas should be great, now I went once in February.. and my ship almost sank(Royal), lol. No lie
Thanks, the trip I have booked as of now is in April in the Caribbean. I’m wondering peoples experience with NYC to San Juan cruises in the fall in case we want to switch our reservation to that itinerary.

Club Cooloholic

Thanks, the trip I have booked as of now is in April in the Caribbean. I’m wondering peoples experience with NYC to San Juan cruises in the fall in case we want to switch our reservation to that itinerary.
My cruise was from NYC to the Bahamas, and needless to say NYC we were ok, but we hit a nor'Easter off the coast of northern Florida and had to turn back, badly damaged

Clamman73

Living on LI, I would say the worst seas are going to be fall/winter...more likely to have these Lows offshore like there is now....there's 10ft seas at a buoy 30 miles south of LI currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom