NY Times : "Disney Is Spending More on Theme Parks Than It Did on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm Combined"

tomast

Original Poster
I have just read a very interesting artcile on New York times showing the future addition to disney parks (nothing we dont already know) but its presented in a really nice way so... if anyone wants to read it too you can found it here*:)

edit 1:
*Click here or there to see the artcile

edit 2:

I will leave here some quotes to the article:

Change is not always welcomed at Disney parks. “HOW DARE YOU,” one Disneyland annual pass holder wrote in a letter to the company a few years ago in response to some simple tree pruning. “I GOT ENGAGED UNDER THAT TREE.”

My opinion: :D:D

Beloved as they may be, these properties are businesses, and Disney must be mindful of relevance. Parents may have a soft spot for Epcot’s creaky, 36-year-old Spaceship Earth ride, but their children — Disney customers of the future — most likely do not.

My opinion: “HOW DARE YOU,”!!!

The Disney executives working to upgrade Epcot say they are guided by a slogan — “Disney, Relevant, Timeless, Family.” For his part, Mr. Chapek talks about “relentless innovation” across the board, using technology to make attractions more relevant wherever possible.
“We want to be the disruptor, not the disruptee,” he said.

My opinion: :eek:o_O

Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, told analysts in May that there was “an inevitability” to Disney’s building a seventh theme park resort in China or another country, although he cautioned that no plans were on the horizon.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
I'd like to see in this article an analysis of how much of the $24 billion Disney would've spent anyway.

For example, Disney's buying 3 new ships at $1.25B each. But the Magic and Wonder are nearing the 25-year lifetime that most cruise lines use for their ships. So Disney's options were (1) new ships; (2) taking the ships out of commission for extensive remodeling and then hoping they'd be competitive; (3) doing nothing. Let's not pretend that (1) is a bold management decision.

Similarly, the article mentions the 746-acre purchase for a second Bahamian island. But Castaway Cay is no more than 6 feet above sea level. Pessimistic sea-level models indicate Castaway Cay could be under water by the end of Disney's current lease in 2098. Also, assuming the "buy new ships" decision above, there's not enough space at Castaway Cay for two ships. Again, this isn't a particularly complicated management decision.

Finally (for now), the article mentions the current domestic park projects. The Times should've analyzed that spending against what park spending should have been, given the investment made during (say) Eisner's run. I'm pretty sure @ParentsOf4 has a graph here somewhere.

Cmdr_Crimson

You do have to wonder what would they have done if the Pixar-Marvel-Lucasfilms agreement fell and never made it to Disney...What would Epcot & DHS Look like without all that? Would we have seen a new Film for UoE, Would the Backlot Tour still be there, LMA Still packing in the crowds when they have nothing better to do? It does make you wonder what would have happened..

Ninja Mom

None of these PR fluff pieces can hide the fact that current management is eroding the Disney legacy for quality by driving up the prices and providing less in return. They have to pay the Pimp, which is the Stock Price, first, foremost and above all.

Don't see it yet? Have you seen how filthy the seat upholstery is in theaters like the Carousel of Progress and Mickey's Philharmagic because of deferred maintenance? Have you seen the doors off or open on the moving Monorail? Have you seen how dirty your resort room is upon check in and through out your stay? $5 for 3 cups of popcorn... POPCORN! The Navi River Journey has 1 animatronic. That's like Pirates of the Caribbean having 1 pirate. And now the paint is peeling in Toy Story Land.

So yeah, they are spending a lot, but they are charging us WAY more for A LOT LESS and that math will not continue to add up in the long run.

It's only natural that the fans see it. First time guests are not blind however and they won't be back to build that Disney legacy because of the sticker shock and the realization of the poor value received.

So that's how Disney is building their legacy under the current management.

~NM

Ninja Mom

Things are also more expensive today than they've ever been - even yesterday. What's the news?

Well, to start, there is making a profit and there is price gouging.

$5 dollars for 3 cups of popcorn falls under the price gouging category.

$4 for a 16 ounce size (I believe) bottle of filtered tap water is price gouging.

Paying an additional fee for a resort parking lot space is price gouging, especially at the room rates Disney is charging. Just because some other resorts are doing it (and others are NOT) doesn't make it right.

It's price gouging, above and beyond a hefty profit margin.

So that's the news.

~NM

FutureCEO

Well, to start, there is making a profit and there is price gouging.

$5 dollars for 3 cups of popcorn falls under the price gouging category.

$4 for a 16 ounce size (I believe) bottle of filtered tap water is price gouging.

Paying an additional fee for a resort parking lot space is price gouging, especially at the room rates Disney is charging. Just because some other resorts are doing it (and others are NOT) doesn't make it right.

It's price gouging, above and beyond a hefty profit margin.

So that's the news.

~NM

Apple does the same thing and people don't bash them nearly as much. Although the public and fanboys seem to be waking up from being sheep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom