NY Times: Bob Iger Effectively Back As CEO

OrlandoRising

This is being framed by other blogs as Chapek has been unseated as CEO by Iger and is already being forced out. The NYT column did not say that and I think it's irresponsible to report as if it did. Just my two cents as a journalist.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
This is being framed by other blogs as Chapek has been unseated as CEO by Iger and is already being forced out. The NYT column did not say that and I think it's irresponsible to report as if it did. Just my two cents as a journalist.
That story was pushed by Zenia/Comms to reassure the financial community that Disney has stable leadership and that having Iger step down wasn’t some knee jerk decision. Not the result of poor succession planning, which it is.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

I know there is a healthy mix of pros and cons around Iger. And I can't say
I have been a fan of some of his decisions. But I have to say that I breathed
a huge sigh of relief at this news, and I'm sure a lot of people did.

So I am unexpectedly thankful for this. And we have no idea what tomorrow will bring,
but I am happier with him at the helm than Chapek. Whatever the reason and circumstances
of his departure, I am glad his hand is on the wheel right now.

And we shall see over time what happens that we cannot control, and what he can do to
chart a new course.

I just hope there will be a Disneyland. I am not certain of anything, anymore.

Good luck, Mr. Iger.

lazyboy97o

I know there is a healthy mix of pros and cons around Iger. And I can't say
I have been a fan of some of his decisions. But I have to say that I breathed
a huge sigh of relief at this news, and I'm sure a lot of people did.

So I am unexpectedly thankful for this. And we have no idea what tomorrow will bring,
but I am happier with him at the helm than Chapek. Whatever the reason and circumstances
of his departure, I am glad his hand is on the wheel right now.

And we shall see over time what happens that we cannot control, and what he can do to
chart a new course.

I just hope there will be a Disneyland. I am not certain of anything, anymore.

Good luck, Mr. Iger.
Why? Iger is the one who failed to set the company up for the future. He already repeatedly failed to plan for the company’s future over half a decade, so why is it good that he is trying again?

DVCakaCarlF

kind of reminds of when Jay Leno retired, and then Conan bombed. Jay Leno came back and saved the day, of course.

I was never a Conan fan...

UNCgolf

Disney's next big purchase needs to be a video game publisher. Make Star Wars games in house, instead of leaving it to EA to **** it up.

They already did buy one. Coincidentally, it was the one that published Star Wars games. They just chose to shut it down because they weren't interested in making video games.

UNCgolf

I’m not one for removal...like at all...

But did you actually ride the things you listed?
I can understand the need to replace those things...even if I can’t totally agree with the results.

I don't think Journey into Imagination needed to be replaced at all. The original attraction as it was at opening would still work today, although it certainly could use some upgrades if it was. I don't think Mr. Toad did either.

The other two definitely needed a big overhaul/upgrade, though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think Journey into Imagination needed to be replaced at all. The original attraction as it was at opening would still work today, although it certainly could use some upgrades if it was. I don't think Mr. Toad did either.

The other two definitely needed a big overhaul/upgrade, though.
I think the ride system and AAs at JII were gonna be problematic and they tried to pre-empt it...

But they pooched it totally. That was also financial based on the loss or impending loss of Kodak.

It wasn’t a bad plan...they just screwed up every detail and it’s embarrassing it was never fixed in 20+ years as daily costs are now a full 280% of what they were

UNCgolf

I think the ride system and AAs at JII were gonna be problematic and they tried to pre-empt it...

But they pooched it totally. That was also financial based on the loss or impending loss of Kodak.

It wasn’t a bad plan...they just screwed up every detail and it’s embarrassing it was never fixed in 20+ years as daily costs are now a full 280% of what they were

Yeah, I didn't mean it wouldn't have needed that type of refurbishment work. Just that it wouldn't have looked completely outdated without significant changes the way World of Motion and 20k would.

I wish they had spent the money to do significant upgrades on 20k (even though I know it was at the point that they would have essentially had to rebuild the whole thing from scratch). That was a tremendous ride.

UNCgolf

As for Eisner vs. Iger -- Eisner's first 10-15 years were fantastic. Things went downhill rapidly after that with a ton of mistakes/bad decisions in the latter part of his tenure. Overall, though, those early years were so much better than anything Iger has done that I'd still give the nod to Eisner (at least from a parks standpoint).

I also saw someone mention Iger from a stock standpoint... if I remember correctly, Eisner actually grew Disney stock more than Iger did, although it's not a 1:1 comparison because Eisner was starting from a much smaller place.

Animaniac93-98

I also saw someone mention Iger from a stock standpoint... if I remember correctly, Eisner actually grew Disney stock more than Iger did, although it's not a 1:1 comparison because Eisner was starting from a much smaller place.

Correct.

Eisner reshaped Walt Disney Productions into The Walt Disney Company.

Iger took over and expanded more through acquisitions vs reinventing the core brand, though Eisner started the acquisition trend with ABC, Muppets etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom