Nw Resale Restrictions as of Jan 19th

Indy_UK

Is it true what the DIS are saying that if you buy into the new DVC like Riviera, that on resale, you can't use the points for any other resort now?

MickeyMinnieMom

Is it true what the DIS are saying that if you buy into the new DVC like Riviera, that on resale, you can't use the points for any other resort now?

Edited: My DVC Rep said that yes, If you buy Riviera resale you can only use the points there (or exchange them through RCI). Direct from Disney purchases will have all traditional benefits including booking any DVC resort.

DVC has not put out an official announcement yet as they have with the other resale restriction.

Statement posted on DVCMember.com:

"Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly."

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Yes. Confirmed by DVC. If you buy Riviera resale you can only use the points there (or exchange them through RCI). Direct from Disney purchases will have all traditional benefits including booking any DVC resort.

Ouch. That should kill the resale market going forward then

MikeyK72

Yes. Confirmed by DVC. If you buy Riviera resale you can only use the points there (or exchange them through RCI). Direct from Disney purchases will have all traditional benefits including booking any DVC resort.

Maybe I stand alone here but I feel they are really showing their greed yet again. Now I totally understand that Disney is a business and needs to earn revenue...but IMO there are certain things like this that probably reflect more negatively on them than the extra revenue from this is worth (because they are biting the hand that feeds them). Just like them drawing a line in the sand a couple of years ago for new resale owners regarding the loss of 10% DVC discount...and the loss of participation in cruise line and other collections a couple of years prior to that. All of those are decisions that probably do raise their profits but certainly isn't Magical to me. Certainly doesn't make me want to sing the praises of DVC to friends and family.

As a DVC owner, this stuff eats away at the pride I once felt to be part of a "classy" organization such as Disney. I ask myself, why aren't they just happy that someone else wants to buy a contract that the original owners, for one reason or another, do not want anymore? The original owners, wanting to sell, probably aren't in the market anymore to go to WDW and spend their money on park tickets, food, merchandise, etc....but yet someone else is willing to jump in and take their place...shouldn't that make Disney happy? Isn't there a certain give-and-take regarding profit and customer experience/happiness?

Sorry for the negativity here but I'm just really disappointed in them.

MickeyMinnieMom

Who think that the new contracts for Riviera and future will have language for more restrictions on rentals?
I was glad to see that the right for members to rent their points is explicitly in the current contracts. If they limit that in the future, there is no way we would ever buy more points -- and I'd be interested to see how that would impact their sales.

Feels like that would restrict members too much -- that, of course, doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. While we have almost always used our points, there have been times that we've rented some out. That is definitely a valuable option to us.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Very OT,

lol, I wish I could say my millennial college kids were totally mature and on track, some times they say statements that make me giggle and think "oh kid, real life is going to kill you" ;) anyhoo my youngest said to me a week before Christmas that he wouldn't mind if we drove down to the world in February. I said, Sorry sweetie we don't have enough points for that, to which Mr. Millennial said, "Ma, we really need to buy more points". :mad: Great kid, how about I trade in your college tuition for that or do you have a few grand lying around.
:rolleyes: I think they would smother me in my sleep if I said I was going to sell my points. I keep hearing folks who say their kids don't want to travel with them anymore and wondering when that is going to happen.

Yep I totally plan on being a burden to this kid!!

I was talking with my eldest DS (23) about our points. He and a friend went to DLP back in September on a really good deal which he can’t find again. Of course, they want to go back and he was asking about using our banked points for another trip. I told him it was a really bad use of points anyway, and I thought a package deal would be cheaper.

Then I said “Actually I was going to be contacting David’s about ending them out and use the cash towards the maintenance fees for this year and next”.

”Oh, so you have to pay maintenance fees on the points every year then?” he says. :rolleyes: I think I will have to educate him on DVC!

But neither he or his brother show any signs of not wanting to go back. Probably because we only go every 3 years or so. Not sure how DH and I get a trip on our own! :D:D

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster

Well as far as we know, yes.

The resale brokers who broke the news about new resale owners at the “legacy” resorts not being able to use those points at Riviera, also said that resale owners at Riviera won’t be able to use them anywhere else.

Obviously DVC have not said this yet, since we don’t have any details about Riviera, but since the brokers were right about the first bit there’s no reason to doubt them.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster

That part hasn’t been confirmed by DVC yet.

The only part confirmed so far is that new resale buyers will not be able to use their points at Riviera.

Once they release details about Riviera they will no doubt confirm the rest.

MickeyMinnieMom

Obviously DVC have not said this yet, since we don’t have any details about Riviera, but since the brokers were right about the first bit there’s no reason to doubt them.
My DVC rep readily shared that this was true -- Riviera resales will NOT be able to use their points at other resorts -- just at Riviera or exchange through RCI -- he said that was already confirmed.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe I stand alone here but I feel they are really showing their greed yet again. Now I totally understand that Disney is a business and needs to earn revenue...but IMO there are certain things like this that probably reflect more negatively on them than the extra revenue from this is worth (because they are biting the hand that feeds them). Just like them drawing a line in the sand a couple of years ago for new resale owners regarding the loss of 10% DVC discount...and the loss of participation in cruise line and other collections a couple of years prior to that. All of those are decisions that probably do raise their profits but certainly isn't Magical to me. Certainly doesn't make me want to sing the praises of DVC to friends and family.

As a DVC owner, this stuff eats away at the pride I once felt to be part of a "classy" organization such as Disney. I ask myself, why aren't they just happy that someone else wants to buy a contract that the original owners, for one reason or another, do not want anymore? The original owners, wanting to sell, probably aren't in the market anymore to go to WDW and spend their money on park tickets, food, merchandise, etc....but yet someone else is willing to jump in and take their place...shouldn't that make Disney happy? Isn't there a certain give-and-take regarding profit and customer experience/happiness?

I agree, and disagree at the same time.

Since pressure on studios at 7 months is now at an all time high, and indeed even at 11 months during F&W, this move will at least prevent the pressure at legacy resorts getting any worse.

What it will mean though is that resale buyers at Riviera will have to book between 7 and 11 months, otherwise they risk not being able to book at all.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
My DVC rep readily shared that this was true -- Riviera resales will NOT be able to use their points at other resorts -- just at Riviera or exchange through RCI -- he said that was already confirmed.

Yes, but it hasn’t been announced yet.

Not saying it isn’t true, it almost certainly is. But CMs get things wrong all the time, and until it is actually announced by DVC there is always the chance it will be modified. One thing that isn’t clear, for example, is whether Riviera points are limited to just Riviera, or whether there is effectively a second group of resorts with Riviera and Lakeside where points will be inter-changeable.

MickeyMinnieMom

Yes, but it hasn’t been announced yet.

Not saying it isn’t true, it almost certainly is. But CMs get things wrong all the time, and until it is actually announced by DVC there is always the chance it will be modified. One thing that isn’t clear, for example, is whether Riviera points are limited to just Riviera, or whether there is effectively a second group of resorts with Riviera and Lakeside where points will be inter-changeable.
Agreed that there is always the chance it will be modified before officially announced.

However, I have not found DVC sales reps to make a lot of mistakes or share info they're not supposed to... they tend to be much more tight-lipped if needed... unlike other phone CMs...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very OT,

lol, I wish I could say my millennial college kids were totally mature and on track, some times they say statements that make me giggle and think "oh kid, real life is going to kill you" ;) anyhoo my youngest said to me a week before Christmas that he wouldn't mind if we drove down to the world in February. I said, Sorry sweetie we don't have enough points for that, to which Mr. Millennial said, "Ma, we really need to buy more points". :mad: Great kid, how about I trade in your college tuition for that or do you have a few grand lying around.
:rolleyes: I think they would smother me in my sleep if I said I was going to sell my points. I keep hearing folks who say their kids don't want to travel with them anymore and wondering when that is going to happen.

Yep I totally plan on being a burden to this kid!!
Maybe they can get a job at WDW and then bring you into the parks for free with them :). You gotta flip this thing into your favor ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they’ve “tolerated”
Renting and resells for 20 years...that is coming to a close. They want you to buy from them at their ransom. I don’t think they even care if you show up and spend anymore - which was the original premise (I worked with the first GM...that’s not a debate)
I would agree with this for sure. When DVC was first conceived it was intended to offer an in-house answer to the timeshare market around WDW but was definitely intended to keep people coming back and spending money at WDW. These days DVC is making so much money selling points that it’s almost irrelevant that it’s connected to WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Crafty

What I don’t understand is the advantage to Disney in driving resale prices down. Right now resale prices are high and not a very large difference exists between direct and resale. I might buy direct to get attractive perks because I am not saving that much with resale.

If resale prices go down substantially, I would be more inclined to buy resale despite the loss of perks. I would probably feel that the significant amount I was saving would more than balance the loss of perks. If the points were cheap enough, I could always stay at my home resort without a qualm.

Some have said that Disney is driving down the resale prices so that they can buy back points and resell them. I don’t think that Disney wants all or most of the resale points. There is the issue of lost maintenance fees as well as the hassle of reselling a large number of points. If most people keep their points for only ten years, the resale market must be big.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I don’t understand is the advantage to Disney in driving resale prices down. Right now resale prices are high and not a very large difference exists between direct and resale. I might buy direct to get attractive perks because I am not saving that much with resale.

If resale prices go down substantially, I would be more inclined to buy resale despite the loss of perks. I would probably feel that the significant amount I was saving would more than balance the loss of perks. If the points were cheap enough, I could always stay at my home resort without a qualm.

Some have said that Disney is driving down the resale prices so that they can buy back points and resell them. I don’t think that Disney wants all or most of the resale points. There is the issue of lost maintenance fees as well as the hassle of reselling a large number of points. If most people keep their points for only ten years, the resale market must be big.

I don’t think they are trying to drive outside resale prices down...i think they are trying to drive them into their own crazy resell prices and make the third parties “obsolete”.

But I thought about this this week ironically and had no desire to jump on a resale in a rush or back to them. Time is an advantage...as is a near certain economic recession.

I’ll get a resale that I can “only” use at the existings...all the good spots are taken by those and that’s perfect. I don’t want to stay anywhere else disney run anyway...

Caribbean/pop supercomplex? No thanks...further down bay lake than wildeness? Nope. Better than grand Californian? Don’t care. Disney on Hawaii? Nppe...

It’s not a bad thing if you’re already grandfathered in on your base contract - which I am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom