Nw Resale Restrictions as of Jan 19th

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Makes sense to me. It’s essentially a part of a moderate resort complex.
Yeah and it really looks underwhelming to me personally. It just doesn't have that "something" that sorta grabs me. Most of our points are direct but we finally decided to buy some resale points back in the summer and when I read this I think my heart might have skipped about 80 beats. LOL! Apparently this isn't "official" news yet though is it? We just decided to buy some resale points because we always take 3 trips a year but have to stay in studios to do that but with the kids getting bigger we finally decided to spring for enough to keep us in one bedrooms all the time and we are members at BLT and it has really worked out too since it turns out they are upping studio points as well. I'm not exactly sure why they're doing that though. You got any hunches on it?

Club Cooloholic

Yeah and it really looks underwhelming to me personally. It just doesn't have that "something" that sorta grabs me. Most of our points are direct but we finally decided to buy some resale points back in the summer and when I read this I think my heart might have skipped about 80 beats. LOL! Apparently this isn't "official" news yet though is it? We just decided to buy some resale points because we always take 3 trips a year but have to stay in studios to do that but with the kids getting bigger we finally decided to spring for enough to keep us in one bedrooms all the time and we are members at BLT and it has really worked out too since it turns out they are upping studio points as well. I'm not exactly sure why they're doing that though. You got any hunches on it?
My guess is they raised the points to push more people to book 1 and 2 beds. It seems studios book out fastest right? The points have to somewhere. I don't love the point changes, but what can you do. My guess is that putting points into Rivera will be a bad use of the points in terms of value, so it really won't matter much future resale buyers can't use it. They will probably still charge a similar amount of points that another resort would for a studio, but since the buy in is theoretically lower than original properties are worth, your value is lower if you use points there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What it tells me is that maybe Riviera will be priced lower than some of the more recent offerings. Just a hunch
Makes sense to me. It’s essentially a part of a moderate resort complex.

I think it should be...but I’m not thinking that’s how this goes...

It’s funny because I caused it. As in for the first time after 13 years I seriously was gonna Buy more points...so blame me😉

But the overall reality is clear...they keep moving bars and throwing up roadblocks to cover their own issue: they keep increasing the price and there is a definite ceiling. Just like their hotel prices 10 years ago that has caused large scale conversions to start to take place...

Different symptoms to the same problem

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hmmm, we shall see.

I still believe you’re both wrong! It will still be priced near the $200 mark.

Possibly it’s the start of a new phase, leading towards 2042. Maybe it’s trying to curb resales.

Club Cooloholic

I think it should be...but I’m not thinking that’s how this goes...

It’s funny because I caused it. As in for the first time after 13 years I seriously was gonna Buy more points...so blame me😉

But the overall reality is clear...they keep moving bars and throwing up roadblocks to cover their own issue: they keep increasing the price and there is a definite ceiling. Just like their hotel prices 10 years ago that has caused large scale conversions to start to take place...

Different symptoms to the same problem

I really don't really don't think this is a big deal. The Riviera really doesn't look like anything special. It's big selling point with be gondola access...woohoo. If anything I would say those with points in the original properties are better off shknce they plan to limit the new buyers to the new resorts which honestly can't compete with the older ones in terms of location(monorail or epcot resorts), size(OKW) or uniqueness (AKL).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really don't really don't think this is a big deal. The Riviera really doesn't look like anything special. It's big selling point with be gondola access...woohoo. If anything I would say those with points in the original properties are better off shknce they plan to limit the new buyers to the new resorts which honestly can't compete with the older ones in terms of location(monorail or epcot resorts), size(OKW) or uniqueness (AKL).

Oh i agree...”riviera” is just a Hyatt or Marriott disguised as Disney. It’s their “recentering” approach. Nothing to see there. But restricting where you can use points that were specifically designed to be flexible is crossing the Rubicon IMHO
One would like to think that.....
...but...

correcaminos

...but...
not holding my breath, are you? ;)

In the message/notification section on DVC's site for me today

Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.
This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.
The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.
The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly.

sndral

I haven’t read rhe actual language of the amendment which allows the change - but I’ve read elsewhere that direct buyers of Riviera will have access to the ‘original 14’ it’s just the resale buyers of Riviera down the road who’ll only be able to book there and perhaps Reflections when it’s built and resale buyers of the original 14 who will only have access to those 14.
It’s becoming too complicated for me, they raised MFs higher than they normally raise them, they reallocated points to the detriment of most owners, and now this nonsense - too much like a classic sleazy time share company IMO.
I’ll not be buying any more points resale or direct until the dust settles on this one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven’t read rhe actual language of the amendment which allows the change - but I’ve read elsewhere that direct buyers of Riviera will have access to the ‘original 14’ it’s just the resale buyers of Riviera down the road who’ll only be able to book there and perhaps Reflections when it’s built and resale buyers of the original 14 who will only have access to those 14.
It’s becoming too complicated for me, they raised MFs higher than they normally raise them, they reallocated points to the detriment of most owners, and now this nonsense - too much like a classic sleazy time share company IMO.
I’ll not be buying any more points resale or direct until the dust settles on this one.
DVC started as its own product category...a way to ensure guaranteed, loyal business.

It’s been tossed into Iger’s pot of everything...”bigger, faster, high volume, more expensive”. Everything has to pump the fickle traders at NYSE...gratification every second and a fortune every day

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Off topic? I know none to very little about DVC - how do they know if you've bought resale points?

glvsav37

I don't think this is so much about Riviera, as it is the SW Hotel and any other 'immersive' resorts they may be planning. i'm sure SW Hotel will have some DVC rooms and I dont think they want anyone using resale points there. So if you start locking people out of these lesser resorts, it will not be a shock when you are locked out of SW hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think this is so much about Riviera, as it is the SW Hotel and any other 'immersive' resorts they may be planning. i'm sure SW Hotel will have some DVC rooms and I dont think they want anyone using resale points there. So if you start locking people out of these lesser resorts, it will not be a shock when you are locked out of SW hotel.

The SW Hotel is not a hotel in the usual sense of the word. It is an immersive resort, a bit like a cruise ship. I am absolutely certain there will not be any DVC rooms there. DVC is a timeshare, SW resort doesn’t fit at all into the DVC model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom