Nut allergies and Boma

Justinchrys25

Original Poster
I have happily eaten at Boma several times over the years for both breakfast and dinner; however, during my upcoming stay, we will have one in our party with a nut allergy (peanuts, cashews). Given the sometimes nut-heavy menu at Boma, should we plan to dine elsewhere?

John park hopper

I have a shellfish allergy and ate at the Rain Forest Cafe and told the CM server. They could not have been more helpful, the chef came to the table and assured us he would over see the food. I would just let them know of a nut allergy issue and you should be OK

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have a shellfish allergy and ate at the Rain Forest Cafe and told the CM server. They could not have been more helpful, the chef came to the table and assured us he would over see the food. I would just let them know of a nut allergy issue and you should be OK

^^This. Disney makes it quite clear that any guest with any type of food allergy will be accomodated and receive a visit from the chef tableside. Wouldn't hurt to also call Disney Dining and ask that a note be attached to your ADR.

correcaminos

^^This. Disney makes it quite clear that any guest with any type of food allergy will be accomodated and receive a visit from the chef tableside. Wouldn't hurt to also call Disney Dining and ask that a note be attached to your ADR.
yes, chefs are great at places where they plate the food for you. I have had excellent care by all chefs with my allium problems. That said the reason for my thoughts on skipping is the cross contamination. Often they can walk you through and say what's allergen free but in the end you likely would need a plated food which is odd when others are eating buffet food with you.

LAKid53

Premium Member
yes, chefs are great at places where they plate the food for you. I have had excellent care by all chefs with my allium problems. That said the reason for my thoughts on skipping is the cross contamination. Often they can walk you through and say what's allergen free but in the end you likely would need a plated food which is odd when others are eating buffet food with you.

That make sense. I'd not only be worried about cross contamination in the kitchen, but also on the buffet. People using a serving utensil from one dish to plate from another or dropping food from one dish into another.

I had to look up your particular food sensitivity. I'd be really unhappy if I couldn't tolerate garlic, since I'm of the mindset there's no such thing as too much garlic.

correcaminos

That make sense. I'd not only be worried about cross contamination in the kitchen, but also on the buffet. People using a serving utensil from one dish to plate from another or dropping food from one dish into another.

I had to look up your particular food sensitivity. I'd be really unhappy if I couldn't tolerate garlic, since I'm of the mindset there's no such thing as too much garlic.
Fortunately with allium issues the more it is cooked, the more the proteins break down. Garlic isn't as bad as onion or leeks or shallots. Green onion stems aren't as potent as well and chives seem to be similar. It's all about how potent that protein is. So if those cooked ones touch my food it's fine. I can even tolerate garlic powder without issue (it's effectively getting rid of the proteins that cause the issues). I like the taste of it, but can't do it too much and it needs to be cooked. Onions are far bigger of an issue. Sautéed onions aren't enough, they need to be reduced and removed for me to be okay. One bite of cooked I can deal with. One bite of raw or raw touching my food and it's bad.

But yes, the kitchen contamination is a concern if highly allergic (I am not, it's the level of a strong intolerance, never life threatening but not something I want to deal with on vacation). However the food dropping on each other or utensils touching etc that all makes me avoid most buffets unless I know they aren't onion heavy foods.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Fortunately with allium issues the more it is cooked, the more the proteins break down. Garlic isn't as bad as onion or leeks or shallots. Green onion stems aren't as potent as well and chives seem to be similar. It's all about how potent that protein is. So if those cooked ones touch my food it's fine. I can even tolerate garlic powder without issue (it's effectively getting rid of the proteins that cause the issues). I like the taste of it, but can't do it too much and it needs to be cooked. Onions are far bigger of an issue. Sautéed onions aren't enough, they need to be reduced and removed for me to be okay. One bite of cooked I can deal with. One bite of raw or raw touching my food and it's bad.

But yes, the kitchen contamination is a concern if highly allergic (I am not, it's the level of a strong intolerance, never life threatening but not something I want to deal with on vacation). However the food dropping on each other or utensils touching etc that all makes me avoid most buffets unless I know they aren't onion heavy foods.

Wow, I didn't realize the extent of the insensitivity or intolerance. Given the pervasiveness of onions in many cuisines, it must be difficult to eat out without problems.

jaklgreen

Even at a buffet they are happy to make some plated food for you in the back. It all depends on how sever the allergy is whether of not your friend would be able to eat there with confidence. I would contact Boma directly and talk to them about the options. If the allergies are severe, then you will have to do that at every restaurant anyway since you never know where nuts will pop up.

correcaminos

Wow, I didn't realize the extent of the insensitivity or intolerance. Given the pervasiveness of onions in many cuisines, it must be difficult to eat out without problems.
You kind of get to know what's in the food really after a while and know what you can handle. Like I said even mild allergy (severe allergies seeming are more sensitive but are super rare) or intolerance it's about the protein. If they can cook the onion to a point all the proteins are broken down it won't harm me. Or if they use the not so potent allium family ones in cooking I'm good. I've dealt with it severely for about 20 years now. It was made worse about a decade go during my 2nd pregnancy for some reason. I can handle it well now. Things like grilled chicken are almost always safe or a lot of pasta dishes with cream sauces are fine always. Pizza sauce usually has very little or uses powder (often they will use onion pieces and basil and other large chunks for flavor but remove after cooking which is safe due to lack of proteins). You kind of learn. And since it's not life threatening it's doable. My nose helps and I do take small tastes to be sure.

Raw onions though, that will never be okay. I cannot have them touch my food and I loved the taste! I cannot even be in the same room when cutting them. I get a horrid headache. Disney is fantastic about it and it's honestly really easy to avoid for them it seems. They create something similar but different so it's all good.

The QS is usually easy to avoid as well so it's not a problem. So eating out isn't much of an issue at this point. Eating at friends' houses is actually worse, but my good friends know and just tell me what to avoid :) Obviously at home it's easy for me and I use other herbs and spices to cover the onion.

rael ramone

Was there a few days ago.

There is at least one sign that says that buffet's have a risk of 'cross contact' due to the nature of buffet's. And for a person to partake of a buffet featuring the cuisines of a continent that may use more peanuts then all others combined, you are depending on your fellow diners who may or may not understand cross contact to follow meticulous cross contact protocols with the serving pieces... My last trip I saw at least one serving piece being used for 2 different food items...

Dishes plated by the chef behind the counter, or skip the restaurant...

Megbutnotmegan

My husband has a nut allergy. We ate at Boma and a chef came out and took him on a tour of the buffet pointing out foods that were nut-free. He was able to enjoy the meal without issue. I understand the cross contamination concerns but that's not something we experienced.

AndrewsJ

I thought the same. I have never heard of this type of allergy. Very interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom