Now I Know What a Lovebug is...An April/May 2011 Trip Report

So all this time I've wondered about lovebugs. I wonder no more.

DSCF2170.jpg

Yeah...ewwww....I know...

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
The players...

DSCF1782.jpg

Me (Lori ~ 28)
Favorite Rides/Attractions - Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, and The American Adventure
Favorite Park - Magic Kingdom
Favorite Restaurant - Artist Point
Favorite Resort - Wilderness Lodge
Favorite Disney Snack - Plaza Sundae
Favorite Character - Belle

DSCF1753.jpg

DH (Aaron ~ 30)
Favorite Rides - Pirates of the Caribbean and Toy Story Mania
Favorite Park - Magic Kingdom
Favorite Restaurant - Artist Point
Favorite Resort - Wilderness Lodge
Favorite Disney Snack - Minnie's Strawberry Bar
Favorite Characters - Goofy and Gurgi

DSCF1778.jpg

DS (Eli ~ 19 months)
Favorite Rides - Peter Pan's Flight, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Grand Fiesta Tour with the Three Caballeros, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Favorite Park - Epcot
Favorite Restaurant - Chef Mickey's
Favorite Resort - Contemporary
Favorite Disney Snack - Waffle Cone from Fountainview
Favorite Character - Donald
**********************************************************************************************************************************
The Itinerary...
The purpose of the trip was not Disney World (gasp) but a cruise on the Celebrity Century to Cozumel. And since we were going to be in Florida anyway, we decided to stop by the World for a couple of days and make good use of our annual passes.

**********************************************************************************************************************************
Our trip began on April 24th. We left early in the AM to make it to Savannah, GA, in time for easter lunch at the Pirate's House.

DSCF1739.jpg

After hanging out by the Savannah River and enjoying River Street, we headed back to our awesome room at the Mulberry Inn. It put me in the mind of the Grand Floridian.

DSCF1765.jpg

DSCF1769.jpg

After a peaceful night of sleep, we were up bright and early to make the journey to Miami for our first ever cuise.

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
I'll keep this part of the TR short since it's not really Disney related. We went on a four day cruise to Cozumel. Our ship was the Celebrity Century. We had a sky suite on the 12th deck.

Pros
1. Very spacious deck
2. Clean room
3. Great staff
4. Cozumel itself
5. Bed and pillows
6. Good service
7. A few good dishes
8. Beautiful ocean views
9. Seeing Cuba
10. Mayan ruins

Cons
1. Food
2. Lack of entertainment
3. Floating timeshare feel
4. Organization
5. Policy enforcement (esp. dress code)
6. Onboard mall
7. Food (It was so bad my DH said to put it on the list again.)
8. Onboard water

I loved seeing the ocean and Cuba. Cozumel was beautiful. DS tried to eat a baby hermit crab on Passion Island; DH saw an iguana. We had wonderful interactions with the staff. Our room and the ship were always clean. DH really loved the bed and pillows. (I thought they were okay.) The balcony on the sky suite was awesome. We spent a lot of time there (more there than anywhere else on the ship I think).

All that being said, our experience on the Century was not up to our expectations. It lacked organization in that what we were sold was not exactly what we got (i.e. early debarkation, etc...) unless we pursued it repeatedly. There were some definite policy issues. When we booked, the sales rep was very specific about the dress code. What we saw on the ship was a different story. It was annoying in the sense that I spent a lot of time packing carefully when it really didn't matter - not even on formal night. DH really hated the food with few exceptions. It was extremely salty and overly fake gourmet. This may have been (at least the salty part) because of the onboard water. It had a funny taste and broke my DH and DS's skin out.
I was most disappointed in the lack of entertainment. It felt like a floating timeshare. Being a WDW veteran, I am used to and expect a certain amount of return trip advertisement. However, 90% of the shows on the ship seemed to be directed at why Celebrity Life is so great and superior to other lines. The onboard shopping was lackluster at best. There was little to buy other than make-up, perfume, cigarettes, and alcohol.

Honestly, if we hadn't already made our down payment on the Dream for next April, I might be reluctant to ever take another cruise. Anyone else ever taken a Celebrity cruise? Any thoughts on it? Especially the Celebrity Century.

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Day One - May 29th

We checked into the Contemporary Resort around noon. This was a big deal for DH because it's been his dream to stay in the Contemporary since he was a little kid. So for his birthday this year, DS and I gave him his dream come true.

Arriving

DSCF2162.jpg

DSCF2165.jpg

DSCF2166.jpg

Checking in

DSCF2169.jpg

Headed to room 4547 on the ninth floor

DSCF2173.jpg

Arriving at room 4547

DSCF2174.jpg

DH's aboslute delight upon entering his room in the Contemporary

DSCF2177.jpg

DS checking out the view

DSCF2179.jpg

Our Magic Kingdom view from room 4547 on the ninth floor

DSCF2180.jpg

Great report so far. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Sorry to hear that your cruise was disappointing. Although I've never been on a cruise (not yet anyway, hopefully soon), I'm sure your cruise on the Dream won't be horrible. With Disney's idea of entertaining you every minute you're on their property, I just couldn't imagine that it would be as bad as what you just had.

I love reading trip reports with lots of pictures. Let's me live through others until I can get back to the magic!

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Great report so far. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Sorry to hear that your cruise was disappointing. Although I've never been on a cruise (not yet anyway, hopefully soon), I'm sure your cruise on the Dream won't be horrible. With Disney's idea of entertaining you every minute you're on their property, I just couldn't imagine that it would be as bad as what you just had.

I love reading trip reports with lots of pictures. Let's me live through others until I can get back to the magic!

Hey fellow teacher! :sohappy: DH and I are both teachers. I teach high school English, and he teaches high school history, civics, economics, and geography.

The cruise was disappointing, but I'm really excited about the Dream. I've always heard Disney cruises are a unique experience in the cruise industry.

I love writing trip reports. I realized when I was writing this one I should print it and put it in DS's scrapbook.

Thanks for reading! :wave:

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
The Contemporary really surprised me. I've talked with people that say it is run-down and sterile. Someone even said it was the least Disney of all the Disney resorts. DH and I thought a short trip there would be good just in case it did lack that magic the other resorts have. Boy, were we ever surprised. The Contemporary radiated Disney magic for us and, especially, DS. We would absolutely stay in the Contemporary for a long trip (assuming the price for a MK view room was reasonable).

Here are some pictures of our room at the Contemporary.

DSCF2181.jpg

DSCF2182.jpg

DSCF2183.jpg

DSCF2184-1.jpg

DSCF2185.jpg

DSCF2186.jpg

DSCF2187.jpg

HouCuseChickie

I haven't seen Love Bugs like that since the years I lived in Gainesville, FL. Unfortunately, I can't share our nickname for them on the forum. :lol::lookaroun

Thanks for posting the pics of Cozumel. We fly into Cancun next week and I'm trying really hard to get excited for it and not look ahead to WDW in August.

Jealous :D of your room in CR. Staying in the tower is something on my bucket list. I figure- I can go to San Diego and stay at the Del (instead of GF at Disney) or go to Hawaii (vs staying at the Poly), but even though people knock the theme- there's only one Contemporary. Your DH looks soooooo happy :) Love it! And can't blame him! Can't wait to read more. :wave:

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
I haven't seen Love Bugs like that since the years I lived in Gainesville, FL. Unfortunately, I can't share our nickname for them on the forum. :lol::lookaroun

Thanks for posting the pics of Cozumel. We fly into Cancun next week and I'm trying really hard to get excited for it and not look ahead to WDW in August.

Jealous :D of your room in CR. Staying in the tower is something on my bucket list. I figure- I can go to San Diego and stay at the Del (instead of GF at Disney) or go to Hawaii (vs staying at the Poly), but even though people knock the theme- there's only one Contemporary. Your DH looks soooooo happy :) Love it! And can't blame him! Can't wait to read more. :wave:

Love bugs are evil. :fork: No doubt in my mind.

Cozumel was beautiful. I hope you have a great time in Cancun.

The Contemporary was amazing. I'd do it again with the right price. We had an AP rate, but it was still steep. DH's face was worth every penny though. He was like a kid at Christmas.

The Contemporary is unique. I guess it's one of those that has lovers and haters with no middle ground.

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Day One - Epcot for the International Flower and Garden Festival

This was the first time we'd ever been to the Flower and Garden so we were excited. Our trip to Epcot started out by taking the monorail a couple of floors below us over to the TTC for the Epcot monorail.

DSCF2233.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

DSCF2227.jpg

DSCF2241.jpg

DSCF2242.jpg

DSCF2243.jpg

DSCF2246.jpg

DS always holds on when the monorail spiel says to hold on. LOL!

DSCF2239.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Epcot Flower and Garden Festival

The view of Epcot as we came in on the monorail was amazing. I wish it was F&G at Epcot all the time. Our basic plan that day was to enjoy the festival, buy pins for DH and DS's collections, buy an F&G tee for me, visit the World Showcase because it is DS's favorite, sneak in a few rides, and eat at La Hacienda.

We rode Spaceship Earth first. Then, we pin shopped. DS wanted an ice cream from Fountainview, but the line was out the door. We went over to Club Cool for a drink instead. DS loves the Beverly. Seriously. He drank two little cups of it before I made him quit for fear he would get sick. I tried to give him somethink good like the Kinley. He spit it out. Wow...

Anyway, DH and I were starving because the last time we ate was on the cruise ship at 6 that morning. We went over to the Liberty Inn and split a chicken tender lunch. DS was passed out at this point. I think he may have realized the error of his Beverly loving ways and decided to sleep off the shame.

We toured the WS until dinner at La Hacienda.

DSCF2257.jpg

DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2259.jpg

DSCF2260.jpg

DSCF2261.jpg

DSCF2262.jpg

This is his "please mom stop taking pictures of me" look. LOL

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2267.jpg

DSCF2269.jpg

DSCF2271.jpg

Hey fellow teacher! :sohappy: DH and I are both teachers. I teach high school English, and he teaches high school history, civics, economics, and geography.

I love writing trip reports. I realized when I was writing this one I should print it and put it in DS's scrapbook.

Hey! I didn't realize you both are teachers! Excellent! I teach 4th grade and technology at an elementary school. It has rough days but I still love it.

DSCF2205.jpg

I've never really wanted to stay at the Contemporary but after seeing your view, I'm changing my mind about that. Simply gorgeous!

DSCF2204.jpg

Hmmmm, is that the castle of a beast I see? :lookaroun :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom