Now Donald is accused of being racist

olinecoach61

Original Poster
The daily news has an article today that says Donald Duck refused to greet an African American family in December. It also says the lawyer has gotten calls from a dozen other families about similar issues. Could there be an issue at Disney land?

GiveMeTheMusic

There's no issue. Just opportunistic bloodhounds hoping to get a piece of the action.

Characters have to turn down children every day - they have to take breaks. They CANNOT say yes to every child, or they'd never go backstage. They meet everyone they can in their 30 minute sets, and then they leave.

This would be akin to calling Radiator Springs Racers racist, because it broke down when a black family got to the loading station.

Mawg

I wonder when Disney will change their policy so that characters are no longer allowed to touch a guest or worse yet get rid of meet and greets. I'm sure they are discussing it now.

Aulani_Princess

I read that just a little bit ago. I did find a comment at the end of an article though that was interesting:
http://www.10news.com/news/investig...s-lawsuit-alleges-racism-at-disneyland-020713 :
Disney wouldn't confirm whether the two incidents involve two employees playing different characters, but officials said they were surprised by this story because the original complaint had no mention of discrimination, just a child being ignored.

This raised more questions, like why wasn't it in the original complaint but now it is. It also made me wonder about the instance only because I've seen a lot of characters interact with kids on the way to the line. Also, if you leave the line of course the next people will be going up. Why does it matter that they where white? I've seen CM's "remind" the characters to stop playing and come along. What was the CM running the line doing or did they not talk to him/her? Has anyone else seen the character's do that? We have a video of Koda pushing my grandmother's wheelchair. He was heading to the line for pictures and saw us doing the same and, after waving high, he pushed her over and parked her so she could see us when we got up there. I guess we've always assumed that's just how it goes. But for my grandmother, that made her day extra special because she wasn't going up to the characters a lot because she didn't want too many pics of her in the wheelchair. It is a special memory just for her.

Mickey1984

Wait a minute here ..... are you telling me that when you meet the characters in the park they are just people in suits? ...... oh my well thats changes my whole view point ....

thomas998

See: Song of the South
You do realize that Song of the South wasn't racist at all, it was simply showing how times actually were at that time in the past. If you are referring to the Br'er Rabbit then again I think you are missing the historical context of the movie as a whole. The movie is based on a book called Uncle Remus which was really just a collection of African American folktales. If it is based on the way the character spoke, well I'm sorry to say it but that was the way a lot of people in the south spoke... Not just blacks in the south I have been to some small towns in the deep south where I would have sworn I was listen to a black character from that movie talk only it was a white guy. What many people fail to understand is that the first blacks in America learned English from the white people that were around them.

I do however expect that any time now some family will sue Disney for Splash Mountain, probably claim it was a traumatic experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom