Trip Report November 2021: Father and Son Trip!

With everything pandemic going on, along with unexpected medical issues, bills, etc., I didn't think we'd be back in WDW until late 2022 at the earliest (it's been a couple years). I was especially disappointed because I didn't think I'd get to see any of the 50th Anniversary stuff if trip timelines kept getting extended.

But when an opportunity presented itself for a father and son trip one month from now, I jumped on it! Huge thanks to my wonderful wife who will be staying home in Texas with our one year old but I know wants to be there (she's good with it, as she recently went on a separate trip with one of our sons while I stayed home with the other).

WHEN:

November 9th through 12th (Tuesday through Friday)

My son and I will actually fly from Austin to Tampa on November 6th in the morning to visit some family near Tampa for a few days. Many of them haven't seen him since he was a baby due to the pandemic, and he's now almost 4.

Then Tuesday morning the 9th, the two of us will drive up to The Most Magical Place On Earth with my parents for four days at the parks and three nights staying on property.

HOTEL:

Port Orleans French Quarter

The four of us (me, Michael, Mom, Dad) will share a Pool View room with two queen beds. While I briefly walked the property a few years ago, I haven't stayed here since it was Dixie Landings when I was a kid. I'm really looking forward to the experience now, and hopefully I can get photos of my son on the big dragon slide like we have from when I was young. He's REALLY into pool time, so fingers crossed the weather works out.

WHO:

Me: mid 30's, been going to WDW since I was 8 weeks old - mostly annual trips as a kid and teen, then a long break before I started going again as an adult. Originally from New England but have lived in Texas with my wife for almost a decade. A Disney Parks Diehard.

Michael: my son, 3 years old but close to 4 by the time we go. A firecracker with endless energy. A huge Cars fan and a passion for all of the new Mickey and Minnie cartoons. He's been to WDW twice but both times were when he was one year old, so this is his first "real" trip as a kid and not a baby/toddler. He knows the characters, he's beyond excited to go Disney World and see the castle, and he asks me every night if I'm taking him to Disney World tomorrow. He also tells his "big Mickey" and "little Mickey" (stuffed animals) that he's going to bring them to Disney World with him when he goes to sleep at night.

Mom and Dad: my parents (60's). Annual Passholders who visit regularly. Also both from New England but have lived in Florida for many years. Beyond excited to take their first (and one of only two) grandchild to Disney World as a kid. HUGE thanks to them for turning what was supposed to be their anniversary "staycation" into more of a family trip so we could all take Michael to Disney World.

Bro & SIL: One of my brothers and my sister-in-law are both Cast Members who arranged their schedules so they'll be able to visit the parks with us two of the days. Both are looking forward to spending time with Michael, as they haven't seen him since he was one year old. They will be meeting us there, rather than staying at a hotel, of course.

PARK DAYS:

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Wednesday - EPCOT (possible afternoon park hop to Hollywood Studios, or maybe go to Disney Springs)

Thursday - Magic Kingdom

Friday - Animal Kingdom (possible park hop to Hollywood Studios if it doesn't happen Wednesday)

NEXT STEP:

Creating my list of must-do attractions. This is going to be a little kid-oriented trip, but my parents have already offered to watch Michael here and there so I can do some adult rides with Bro and SIL and have a little free time. I've never been on Slinky Dog Dash, so that's high on my personal list, and I'm a thrill ride junky, so all of the mountains, rollercoasters, and similar rides are always high on the list.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will be new for me, also, and a must-do for Michael due to his love of the new cartoons. And, of course, I want him to see the Lightning McQueen Racing Academy, as he's a huge Cars fan.

Aside from that, it will be all of the classic stuff with him, and hopefully some character meet and greets or cavalcades (in whichever form they're happening at the time).

THE UNKNOWNS

- Will Lightning Lane and Genie+ be happening by early November? If so, how will that affect planning and our experience?

- Will character meet and greets of some type be happening in early November? I hope so for Michael's sake but it's not a make or break thing.

Now, time for more planning to build the anticipation!

Songbird76

I saw on Disney Food Blog that there will be meet and greets, but they will still be somewhat distanced...like, you get your individual time with them, but no hugs or autographs yet. And I believe they announced Genie and Genie+ will debut on October 19th. So that might impact your trip! So great that your son will get to experience everything with his grandparents, too!! I wish my kids had been able to have that experience.

macefamily

Enjoy your trip. I just did a one day @ Universal with my 20 yr old son. Found it to be special and a great bonding day. Big difference between 4 yrs and 20 yrs though !

PSM

Original Poster
Diving deep into the planning phase now that the trip is less than a week away! Michael and I will be in Florida visiting family this time next week, and 9 more days until we arrive at Disney World!

Here's a bit more detail on the plans so far.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

Mickey's Town Square Theater "meet and greet" just reopened! This is going to be huge, as my son is going to freak out. I know there's no hugs or contact allowed, but based on the video I just watched, you're basically right there with him behind the rope and you can interact. This wasn't supposed to happen until some time in November, and I was starting to get nervous that it would happen later in the month since our trip is in the first half of the month.

Genie+ and Lightning Lane Plans

I will be purchasing Genie+ for both of us for all four days, and I expect any family with us on each day will do the same since they'll want to be with us on all the rides. I also intend to buy Individual Lightning Lane for any rides I can, as saving as much time as possible on a fairly short and rare trip like this will be well worth the money to me. Looks like it will be somewhere in the $300 range to stick with this plan for both of us all four days, and if this saves us around a couple hours of waiting in lines each day, I won't regret it (YMMV, of course).

Dining

As of right now, we don't intend to do any sit down dining and reservations. While I'd love to do a character meal, I don't like the stress or responsibility of having dining reservations, especially on this short of a trip. If it was a full week or more, I'd likely be booking a couple restaurants. But now that the Mickey Town Square Theater thing is happening again, I feel less guilty about it.

Ride Height Requirement Issue?

The biggest question of the trip at this point is whether Michael will be able to go on the 40" rides. Last I measured him, he was around 39" to 39.5" tall and growing quickly...but quickly enough? I'm not optimistic. I know they're strict with this - as they must be - but I will be a bit disappointed if he can't get on some of the 40" rides, as there are definitely a few at the parks he would love.

More to come as I have time before the trip!

Howie4life

We actually have a similar trip on some of the same dates next week. Going with my inlaws, wife, 2 kids, my wife's sister and her 2 kids. My kids are almost 5 and almost 3. We do have sit down meals at trex, be our guest, and space 220. All restaurants that I think will make the experience even more magical for my kids. I'm like you, if it cost me an extra a 300 to reduce average wait time from an average of 20 mins to 5, it's more than worth it. These kids are always one annoyance away from a breakdown that can make things very difficult. My almost 3 year old daughter is even shorter than your son at 38 inches and change without shoes. So I know that struggle of potentially missing out on the 40 inch rides. We got her the shoes with the biggest soles we could find and are praying she makes it on a few of those rides. It will be very close. If not, we'll just child swap. The rides we want to get her on are soaring, rise of the resistance, and test track. I may have packed our trip with too much though. The first night we get there we are doing the separate ticketed Christmas after hours event at MK, which goes to 1am, which is very late for young kids. We really want the kids to see the parade though with all their favorite characters. Hoping we can get that knocked out by 11pm because the kids have universal studios the next morning with early Park admission and express passes. My son is a big spiderman and transformers fan, so we booked the 2 universal parks. There are some other rides that we hope to have knocked out by 2pm and get the kids a nice nap because later that evening we check into our disney hotel and I plan to take them to hollywood studios, and maybe epcot after that to experience those parks at night.

Zipadeelady

@PSM If your son is 39.5" without shoes then with normal gym shoes you shouldn't have a problem. When we took my son just shy of his 3rd birthday he was able to ride everything 40" except Stitch's great escape. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd say it's all going to depend on the CM

PSM

Original Poster
We are now in Florida having a great visit with family, but also looking forward to early Tuesday morning when we drive up to Disney World!

Hoping we can get to French Quarter early enough to catch the bus to Magic Kingdom and still be there for hotel guest entrance before normal park open. It will be EARLY to rise in order to make it since we’re over an hour away, but would be worth it if we do.

PSM

Original Poster
In less than 24 hours we’ll be in Magic Kingdom! I want Michael to see the opening show, but we’ll also have 30 minute early entry since we’re staying at a Disney hotel, so I figure we’ll have time for maybe one quick ride before heading back to the castle. What would you do?

Dory71

In less than 24 hours we’ll be in Magic Kingdom! I want Michael to see the opening show, but we’ll also have 30 minute early entry since we’re staying at a Disney hotel, so I figure we’ll have time for maybe one quick ride before heading back to the castle. What would you do?
I would do Peter Pan first. There always seems to be line for it.

PSM

Original Poster
725C6D79-F9CD-486D-A6A0-6398E779FF9B.jpeg

Good spot for a nap?

Sbk1234

Sounds like a great trip so far. Some of my best memories were taking my kids each on individual trips to Disneyland for a few days each. Being in a favorite place and being able to devote all my attention on only one kid were such wonderful experiences. Even many years later, my kids still have a love of travel.

I'm sure your experience with your son will be the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom