Trip Report November 2013 WDW 10 day trip - pre-report and liveish updates.

All reservations made of course, airline tickets, park hoppers, the room at Port Orleans Riverside. The cast is 3 humans, myself and the parents who are going before dad retires at the end of the year - we are leaving on Tuesday the 12th (now 3 days to go till we leave) and have a grand total of 8 days in the parks, plus two travel days - one of the park days is set aside for going to Universal and Islands of Adventure. Here's hoping it will be a fairly relaxing time, the crowds supposed to be moderate to mild by most 'crowd calender' site standards, so hopefully that will be the case! If not, we're unfortunately used to Disneyland summer crowds and don't mind browsing areas and 'relaxing' diversions instead of trying to wait for all the 'big' rides. There's a long flight unfortunately from California to Florida, but such things just must be tolerated as part of deal.

There is a lot to see and much I wish to photograph and explore - haven't been to WDW since 2006, so a decently long time. Some of my top choices/desired things to see the most are idiosyncratic certainly (Tom Sawyer Island, the People Mover, the Animal Kingdom exploration trails, Spaceship Earth, etc) compared to what's popular mostly for guests and have a small list of stuff no interest in seeing (because of repeats from California having huge lines reportedly like Soarin' and Midway Mania), and some stuff resigned I have to see just for glimpses of what once was there that I sorely miss (any signs of XS Tech and Alien Encounter in Stitch's Great Escape, ugh).

We are eligible for the Magic Band testing and been informed will have ones available upon check in, but consensus is fully to ask for the Key to the Kingdom card instead and not bother with the new wristband deal for a variety of reasons.

Four dining reservations made (the last one just went through today!), and resigned myself to the fact we won't likely get into Sci-Fi Dine In which has my favorite ambiance and setting of any parks restaurant, if not very good food by most accounts. The four we have reservations for are Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch, Le Cellier for lunch, Yak and Yeti, and Rose & Crown for dinner. Looking forward to all, and many other quick-service type snacks or items keen to try.

Will be updating here nightly likely over the trip as have energy since bringing laptop along, and trying stay current on transferring photos each day as I take them so can take endless shots and have plenty of room on the memory cards, so some choice photos be showing up as well more than likely, along with scattered impressions and random observations. Thanks for reading and shall update as warranted! Advice or recommendations quite welcome!

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
  • So far, this resort very relaxing as a whole even with clear large number of folks around - peaceful and the rivers are nice.
  • The Cajun chicken sandwich at the quick-service food court actually pretty tasty, as was the make-your-own-salad option - but could be magnified after a day of airplane snacks heh.
  • On the way in on the Magic Express bus, one of the featured videos was 'behind the scenes' of the Haunted Mansion interactive queue, and featured prominently one of the designers talking about Yale Gracey's sea captain character and the ditched one-eyed black cat and other ridiculously obscure Mansion concepts from the design period dating back to the 50's. Thousands of tourists potentially seen these very minor hardcore fandom things being talked about explicitly while riding the bus from the airport, and I am not quite sure if that is awesome and hilarious or just pointlessly bizarre on Disney's part.

Here comes some photos!

Fancy fountain inside the Orlando airport.

....and bizarre official Disney Snow White photo up statue. No climbing!

Creepy.

Hooray, we're here!

Magnolia Terrace, where the room is.

Food time.

The prior-mentioned cajun chicken sandwich.

Rocking chairs on the rear porch of the lobby.

And now, time to look around inside Fulton's Market.

Very cool old-fashioned dollhouse that reminds me a bit of Phantom Manor.

Christmas time already?

This statue of Donald is fantastic.

Some old friends. Probably going to have to buy the Orange Bird one.

ml123_9

Love your pics of PORS. That's probably my favorite resort/hotel of any that I have been too. Inside and outside WDW.

Megala

I love reading these posts, it is where I get my best tips for getting around the parks. Nothing like word of mouth. PORS looks beautiful, great pics. Thanks for posting, looking forward to your next update.

Longers

Looking forward to reading what you get up to. I am in POR too and I've already decided I need to take some more photos like yours. Have fun

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
Observations from yesterday (Magic Kingdom):

• Why are they playing the audio to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from Disneyland on the bus to MK?? It's long extinct at that park.
  • Park overwhelmingly large compared to Disneyland.
  • Pirates is very disappointing against the original as a 'whole picture' - the queue is nice but ride seems weird and cramped.
  • The orange slush drink at Cosmic Ray's is fantastic. I need to get another one.
  • Disneyland needs the People Mover back very badly, I wanted to ride it another six times after doing it once.
  • People who stand up and force the show to restart on Carousel of Progress are the worst.
  • The Haunted Mansion is fantastic and love the sound design overall. Superior show effects overall and tone once inside the Mansion, ignoring the new queue cemetery being forced on anyone without a fastpass which slows the line way way down in favor of the playground stuff.
  • Jingle Cruise decorations in queue are nice, as is the old-timey Christmas music, but the spiel additions are pretty much duds.
And here is but a small sample of photos taken yesterday, in no particular order:

Sparkle sparkle.

My favorite window display ever for Main Street.

The Nautilus hides in the rocky pools at the Little Mermaid ride.

Good old Caribbean Plaza.

Jingle Cruise decor.

Thomas Jefferson's prized mastadon tooth. (not made up!)

Tinkerbella16

We just left POR the day you arrived. I hope you love it as much as we always do! We stayed in Oak Manor Building 90 Royal Room. I love the grounds there, the gift shop and food court are great! Awesome pics, thanks for sharing! I miss it so so much!!

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
Sorry I didn't update this along the way! Here are more thoughts and photos scrawled down elsewhere with lots more media to come.

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
(Originally posted the 14th)
EPCOT was today, and actually turned out very relaxing, which I found surprising - used to Disneyland days usually getting hectic between crowds and long waits and the like, so we seemingly planned well in terms of when to visit.

Arrived before opening and rode Spaceship Earth, then had a small breakfast at the Land (we deliberately skipped riding Soarin' due to it being the exact same show as California and not worth all the intense interest displayed here, to us anyway.)

Final ride/attraction count: Spaceship Earth (twice), the Nemo ride, Universe of Energy, Living With the Land, Mission: Space, the new Imagination ride (blegh, bring back something like the old one!), Maelstrom, Gran Fiesta Tour (blegh again pretty much), American Adventure, Reflections of China, Impressions du France, and the Canada film. Skipped Test Track due to a random 70 minute wait (!). Everything else was 5-10 minutes basically, longest wait was perhaps 20 minutes because the whole France movie had just seated and begun when we arrived. Lucked out in arriving just in time for American Adventure and Universe of Energy within 5 minutes of showtime without planning it.

Dinner was at Rose and Crown, and very enjoyable - a nice breeze coming from over the water and not yet dark, food good quality and an excellent hostess.

I am overall pleased that EPCOT stubbornly clings to some 'edutainment' shows and attractions - American Adventure, Living With The Land, several exhibits in countries like Mexico and China along the way. There are some duds though - new Imagination, the loud and crass redone Mexico boat ride, the Martin Short Canada film with 'meta' Disney puns just like the former Under New Management Tiki Room. I was glad indeed to hear 'Canada, You're A Lifetime Journey' all the same, even if a newly recorded version - too many pavilions lost their classic 80's theme songs for my taste.

So those are my rambling thoughts, photos to come soon when processed, tomorrow it's off to Universal and Islands of Adventure! Huzzah butterbeer!

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
And now some from Future World!

The name of the Duck Tales inventor character shown on the right escapes me, but very obscure character to be even hinted at in the parks.

We miss you, Dreamfinder and a show for Figment that had some ambition and dignity.

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
(Originally posted November 16th)
Yesterday was Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios.

First, I have to say at the outset - Islands is an amazing park and beautiful detail and scope and ambiance. It's better than EPCOT at current. (sorry!)

Wizarding World delivered the charm and more small detail and book-centric surprises tucked into corners that I wasn't expecting, and quite thoroughly pleased with it. Both the butterbeer and pumpkin juice quite tasty - they can't start selling butterbeer in California fast enough for me!

At the Studios park, I love love love E.T. and still miss it being gone from Hollywood. The queue is the best themed queue for my money (relaxing, cool, misty redwood forest with just the right tone of eerieness and mystery) and the ride itself kind of accidentally becomes near-genius level of bizarre thanks to the combining of the very organic, earth-bound nature of the film-plot elements and how much the first part feels like the classic movie, and then you've got the super strange bouncing alien musical jamboree tacked on. It's ridiculous and fun in the best of ways and defies explanation of logical design though apart from 'make the end fun for the kids! Wacky!' - but it works for me, likely because of how strange it all is.

Here comes some photos and hope some interest remains in this reporting!

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster

Mickey waffles for breakfast at Riverside before getting a taxi over to 'that other place'.

Twirl 'n Hurl!

'Mother, oh god, mother! Blood, blood!'

Ben Gardener's head from Jaws.

Meg Mucklebones, the Jenny Greenteeth-inspired swamp beastie from 80's fantasy classic Legend.

Very tasty food at the Three Broomsticks. Perfectly roasted potatoes, which not many places manage to do just right without some being inconsistently cooked.

I'd give a slight edge to regular butterbeer over frozen variety, but both vry nice.

Chicken and waffle sandwich with maple syrup mayo sauce from the Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel chicken outlet in the new Springfield expansion in the Studios - quite delicious overall, and the Simpsons ride is rife with very dead-on theme park cliches and jokes of all sorts, as well as a extended tribute to Back to the Future joke in the queue area. Good stuff.

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
(Originally posted November 16th)
Long day today, and four days of park admission to go! Started out in Animal Kingdom but that turned quickly miserable with rain and wet socks and all. Riding Everest with rain whipping hard against your face is no fun. But we'll be going back at least for half a day in dryer conditions.

Came back to the hotel about 2 to rest and change and eat, then the evening spent going to the monorail resorts (the Contemporary is very loud and disappointing, sadly.) Then Magic Kingdom!

Had a excellent few hours there - the Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, some shopping and viewing the Electrical Parade. Quite a treat seeing that again and makes me wonder why Disneyland axed it instead of plussing it and renewing it.

Will be some Animal Kingdom photos in a bit!

WithEerieEyes

Original Poster
(Originally posted November 17th)
Hollywood Studios today, and largely uncrowded - but sadly not all that much to do there. Tower of Terror is very high quality in most all aspects, so that was nice. Some good detail certainly around - but the highlight was we did indeed get into Sci Fi Dine-In with a walk up, only a wait of maybe 10 minutes, and that was a quite enjoyable experience. Will be some video coming soon from Magic Kingdom and assorted photos as able.

Some photos, more to come in a bit.

[URL='http://www.flickr.com/photos/faeofdoom/10924873983/']

[/URL]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom