Nov - Dec 2019 and the Star Wars effect? Maybe March is better!

rudyjr13

Hi there. Kicking the tires on a 2019 WDW vacation and wondering what our thoughts are on the effect of crowd levels across all parks once Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens. Now, we know Disney says "late Fall 2019" for the opening so planning a trip for the last weekend of November into the first week of December is giving me hesitation.

We've been there before at that time and it's a wonderful time to visit. Weather is great, crowds mid level, hotels cheaper. Now I am a huge Star Wars fan, but this trip wouldn't be solely for seeing the new land. It's a standard family of 4 trip with 2 kids under 10. In fact I'd probably just plan to run over to the new land myself for a couple hours. Bottom line, I can wait for the next trip after the initial crush of the opening.

The part giving me pause is the assumption that crowd levels across all parks will be much higher than previous years. So what are the opinions around here? Would you book away assuming Galaxy's Edge will not impact the other 3 parks? Would you avoid the World during this time and plan to visit either prior to November or say 6 months + after with the caveat that you are ok not experiencing the new land this time around?

rudyjr13

Original Poster
I'm sitting on the same fence as you. Do we go in October 2019 and avoid DHS, or postpone to avoid the crowds entirely?

As excited as I am for the new experiences, I am not waiting in 2 hour lines. Nor do I want to be at MK when the crowd levels are 8, 9, or 10. All logic points to MK being as swamped as DHS as the crowds swell at least through Jan 1, 2020.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I'm sitting on the same fence as you. Do we go in October 2019 and avoid DHS, or postpone to avoid the crowds entirely?
Likely won’t be open in October it says Late fall which would be more Mid November -Mid December. October is still earlier part of Fall being fall starts end of September. I think you are safe in October 2019. ;)

Upvote 0

JohnyKaz2078

As excited as I am for the new experiences, I am not waiting in 2 hour lines. Nor do I want to be at MK when the crowd levels are 8, 9, or 10. All logic points to MK being as swamped as DHS as the crowds swell at least through Jan 1, 2020.

That's true. Star Wars Land will probably affect crowd levels to a much larger scale than Pandora and Toy Story Land. I believe that the effect won't be that big for the other parks as it will be for Hollywood Studios, where wait times will probably skyrocket for everything and you will be there standing in a 30 minute wait for MuppetVision 3D. But even knowing that the park will be super crowded, I recommend that you see SW:GE especially if you aren't planning a trip in the near future and you can always book FP+. The worst time to visit WDW in 2019/2020 is Christmas when everywhere the crowds will be nuts.

Upvote 0

rudyjr13

Original Poster
That's true. Star Wars Land will probably affect crowd levels to a much larger scale than Pandora and Toy Story Land. I believe that the effect won't be that big for the other parks as it will be for Hollywood Studios, where wait times will probably skyrocket for everything and you will be there standing in a 30 minute wait for MuppetVision 3D. But even knowing that the park will be super crowded, I recommend that you see SW:GE especially if you aren't planning a trip in the near future and you can always book FP+. The worst time to visit WDW in 2019/2020 is Christmas when everywhere the crowds will be nuts.

Thanks for your input. I’m starting to lean a different way...end of March 2019 during our kids spring break. Crowds aren’t great then due to other spring breaks but MK is open much later and the weather is good for pool time which we enjoy. Then I have an excuse for a 2021 trip back for Star Wars.

Upvote 0

JohnyKaz2078

Thanks for your input. I’m starting to lean a different way...end of March 2019 during our kids spring break. Crowds aren’t great then due to other spring breaks but MK is open much later and the weather is good for pool time which we enjoy. Then I have an excuse for a 2021 trip back for Star Wars.

Good choice. Spring Breaks are very busy but usually not as much as Thanksgiving Week or Christmas. And also 2021 will probably be one of the best times to visit WDW until its 60th anniversary in 2031 :)

Upvote 0

rudyjr13

Original Poster
Good choice. Spring Breaks are very busy but usually not as much as Thanksgiving Week or Christmas. And also 2021 will probably be one of the best times to visit WDW until its 60th anniversary in 2031 :)

Have you been the last week of March during a non Easter year? Anyone else have any input on that week?

Upvote 0

rudyjr13

Original Poster
Yes but it was like 6 years ago. It was absolutely perfect! I was there this spring break though. And that's a different story.............

You posted some wait times but deleted them. I was going to follow up with you to see if those were from mid day. We are night owls so even with the higher crowds I was curious if you go in the morning, come back to the resort for pool and relaxing and go back at night if it's as bad at night. Specifically MK.

I've done late Sept, mid-late Oct, late Nov-Dec, early Dec, early Oct, early Feb. Never those Spring/summer months.

Upvote 0

JohnyKaz2078

You posted some wait times but deleted them. I was going to follow up with you to see if those were from mid day. We are night owls so even with the higher crowds I was curious if you go in the morning, come back to the resort for pool and relaxing and go back at night if it's as bad at night. Specifically MK.

I've done late Sept, mid-late Oct, late Nov-Dec, early Dec, early Oct, early Feb. Never those Spring/summer months.

Yeah I posted the times but then I noticed that you said "non-Easter year" lol :) Yes these where from roughly 12pm-3pm from the many times I had checked the WDW app. And I also forgot to post FOP and Navi River Journey which were 210 and 130 minutes respectively. It's a very good thing if you have the ability to get out of the park and go to the resort to relax and then come back at around 5pm. They are still high at night but not nearly as bad as midday. These are from around 8:30pm:

Magic Kingdom:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 100 minutes
Space Mountain: 115 minutes
Splash Mountain: 85 minutes
Peter Pan's Flight: 75 minutes
Jungle Cruise: 45 minutes
Haunted Mansion: 45 minutes
Aladdin's Carpets: 25 minutes
Carousel: 15 minutes

Epcot:
Test Track: 80 minutes
Frozen: 90 minutes
Soarin: 60 minutes
Spaceship Earth: 45 minutes
Mission Space: 30 minutes
Figment: 20 minutes

Hollywood Studios:
Tower of Terror: 45 minutes
Rock n' Rollercoaster: 65 minutes
Toy Story Mania: 55 minutes
Star Tours: 30 minutes

Animal Kingdom:
FOP: 150 minutes
Na'vi River Journey: 105 minutes
Everest: 55 minutes
Kali River Rapids: 30 minutes
Safaris: 60 minutes
Dinosaur: 45 minutes
Primewal Whirl: 30 minutes

So yeah much much much much better at night.

Upvote 0

rudyjr13

Original Poster
Yeah I posted the times but then I noticed that you said "non-Easter year" lol :) Yes these where from roughly 12pm-3pm from the many times I had checked the WDW app. And I also forgot to post FOP and Navi River Journey which were 210 and 130 minutes respectively. It's a very good thing if you have the ability to get out of the park and go to the resort to relax and then come back at around 5pm. They are still high at night but not nearly as bad as midday. These are from around 8:30pm:

Magic Kingdom:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 100 minutes
Space Mountain: 115 minutes
Splash Mountain: 85 minutes
Peter Pan's Flight: 75 minutes
Jungle Cruise: 45 minutes
Haunted Mansion: 45 minutes
Aladdin's Carpets: 25 minutes
Carousel: 15 minutes

Epcot:
Test Track: 80 minutes
Frozen: 90 minutes
Soarin: 60 minutes
Spaceship Earth: 45 minutes
Mission Space: 30 minutes
Figment: 20 minutes

Hollywood Studios:
Tower of Terror: 45 minutes
Rock n' Rollercoaster: 65 minutes
Toy Story Mania: 55 minutes
Star Tours: 30 minutes

Animal Kingdom:
FOP: 150 minutes
Na'vi River Journey: 105 minutes
Everest: 55 minutes
Kali River Rapids: 30 minutes
Safaris: 60 minutes
Dinosaur: 45 minutes
Primewal Whirl: 30 minutes

So yeah much much much much better at night.

I appreciate all the info. This past March 2018 was an Easter week so I'm hoping 2019 isn't as crazy as what you saw! Seriously, thanks again.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member

how long do you think you'd postpone for? :) The crowds in DHS/SW:GE are going to be there for a long long time. Imagine there are a bunch of people shifting dates to be there AFTER opening, etc.

Upvote 0

rudyjr13

Original Poster
how long do you think you'd postpone for? :) The crowds in DHS/SW:GE are going to be there for a long long time. Imagine there are a bunch of people shifting dates to be there AFTER opening, etc.

Excuse to go back in 2021 or 22. Lots of good stuff coming by then to hopefully help spread things out.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom