Trip Report Nov '13 - Surprise, 1/2 Marathon, Paraguayan Family, NOT totally a clusterfudge trip of a lifetime

Well, we're back from our most out-of-the-normal trip to WDW ever. For details of what we had initially planned on, feel free to read over my pre-trip report (link here) and see how this trip came about, what it took to plan and set up, and all the other typical pre-trip stuff.

I've been back and forth on starting this TR before I really get a chance to go through and sit down and get my pictures and everything downloaded, sorted, organized, etc, but I figured I'd at least get a start on this while everything is all fresh in my head. My pictures are going to likely not turn out to be great, and I've seen many amazing photographers post trip reports on here with some of the best WDW photos I've ever seen, and honestly, I know I took more photos on my iPhone than I did on the semi-nice camera that I borrowed from my father anyway. I'll likely go in and add some pictures as I fill in all the details and get them. I've got a few hundred Disney Photopass+ photos to go through, two iPhones, a camera, and then any photos that I'll eventually receive from the South American family once they finally make it back to Paraguay and do their own photo processing. So this TR could be a work in progress for quite a while, adding photos, skipping back and forth in time (a little wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey trip report if I do say so myself).

Still, all that being said, I thought it made sense to start things off now, while I'm just off the trip, and remember most of everything that happened, thoughts I had, observations I had, etc.

For a brief synopsis of all the stuff I wrote down in my pre-trip report, here goes.
The trip was my family, DW: Andrea, DD5 Charlotte (Charlie), DD2 Evelyn (Evie)
Joining us for about 1/2 the trip were my parents: Lets just go Grandma and Grandpa for ease of reading
Joining us for about 3/4 of the trip were my wife's family from Paraguay: Her uncle Eugenio (Chacho), her aunt Elisa, her cousins Belen, Ana, Lucia, Laura, Ana's husband Dito, and their children Franco (4) and baby Jofi (<1). Belen's boyfriend Matt showed up at the end, but stayed in the condo the whole time and pretty much was a non-factor in the entire trip.

The basics of the trip. We were surprising our children on Thursday morning, 11/7, and driving down to WDW, surprising them a second time meeting up with Grandma and Grandpa partially through the drive. We were planning on staying at Caribbean Beach for 2 nights, Grandpa and I were running the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon on 11/9 with my kids running the kids races in the morning, then on 11/10, the Paraguayan family was joining us at Chacho's timeshare in Orlando, where we'd move over and stay with them, while Grandma and Grandpa would stay on at CBR for 2 more nights. We'd stay, do WDW, one day at Uni, take a morning off and then hit MVMCP on 11/14, leaving on 11/17 to start the drive back, meeting back up with Grandma and Grandpa for the return trip. We'd get back to the Chicagoland area in the evening of 11/18.

So, how'd that all pan out? How much did our trip resemble what we thought before we left? What did I, one of the world's most unobservant people, notice on my trip? How'd the race go? Did we all make it through alive? Did our MagicBands make our trip a living hell or were they great? Did Evie get over her fear of dark rides from a year ago and "Conquer Its a Small World"?

I'll start working on those parts of the TR next. Hopefully I can get at least the trip down done very soon, as I don't need Photopass and the other camera to capture that, my iPhone pictures will be good enough.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Ok, so I finally think that I got the video of "The Surprise" sent up to YouTube (unlisted) so that I could link in to it, might as well start off the TR with the first day of the trip.

The day started about as normal, I was of course too excited to sleep, even given the fact that we'd been up late the night before packing.
The previous night had gone along quite well. We talked the girls into going to bed a bit early, saying that they'd been acting tired (not too much of a lie) and that they had a big day at school the next day. It was a good thing that we got them in bed early, as the cat sitter was showing up at their normal bedtime to pick up our cats. She was boarding them at her house this trip, as my landlord had decided that our trip would be a good time to get some work done around our place. I wanted everything to seem normal for the girls, so the cat sitter showed up not too long after bedtime, and took the cats over to her place. We then hustled to finish packing everything. Added on top of all of that madness, the aforementioned house improvements meant that we needed to pack up everything (and I mean everything) in our bathroom and store it so that they could work in that room while we were gone. That added an hour or so to the night's packing activities, getting into bed around midnight.

Did that mean I slept in? Of course not. I'd been in the habit of waking up around 5am on the average day to exercise before work (either run, or ride my bike into work), but of course, added to that the excitement of a Disney trip, I was up and wide awake at 4:25am. I got out of bed, went to the couch, and tried to nap a little, trying to save my wife from the tossing and turning that happens when I'm wide awake but trying to sleep. Around 5:30, I gave up. I had put most everything into the basement, leaving only the very last minute stuff for packing after we sprung the surprise. I threw on a jacket and shoes and headed to load up the car and get it set up for the drive. Disassemble the stroller so we could pack it easier, cram everything into the back of our car, set up the stuff in the backseat for the girls (the activity books I made for them, snacks, game systems, DVD player, etc).

That done around 6am, and the standard school alarm going off at 6:30, meant I had enough time to watch a little on the news, catch a shower around the normal time, and be just getting out of the shower like on my typical "run" days when my wife headed in to get the girls out of bed for "school". The standard morning typically starts with the girls crawling into bed with my wife to watch a little Disney Junior and spend about 15 minutes waking up, before my wife gets up to get breakfast going. We kept to that, but instead of heading out to make breakfast, I instead said:
"Hey, I got a DVD in the mail yesterday, I thought maybe before breakfast, we could pop it in to see if it's any good".
It was the Disney World Vacation Planning DVD. I put it in, set it up to go to the MK section, and started recording the events on my phone. I was REALLY hoping to pull a "I wish we could go" out of the girls, and about 4 minutes in, I finally got a "I wish I could ride Space Mountain" out of Charlie. The rest goes as follows:

NO, that was NOT my voice cracking when I said "We're going to Disney World"! I, uh, had, um, a sore throat or something.

We started getting them together in earnest. Teachers can be proud though, Charlotte had a minute long breakdown after the video stopped rolling because she REALLY wanted to go to school and not Disney!

A quick visit back to the living room where the video was still playing fixed that quick, as she watched Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Fireworks, etc all play out in front of her, she was excited once again.

Evelyn was pretty easy going, excited, and probably not fully knowing what the heck was going on. Last time we went to WDW, one year ago, she kind of was terrified of ALL indoor rides. She had fun with the characters, but the rest of it was just beyond her at that time. Still, I grabbed a couple happy little shots on my phone as I started getting things finally packed up.
IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

By around 8:00am, we were packed in the car, settled in, ready to drive through Dunkin Donuts for a breakfast on the go:
IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG

A quick drive-through for munchkins, chocolate milk, and coffee and we're starting the drive.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Ok, let me knock out the next part of the TR, the first day's drive, since again, this one will likely not have a lot of photo's required, as we were in the car pretty much all day.

Girls loaded up in the car, activity books in hand (see above), donuts being consumed, we're off.

Since we were leaving around rush hour, I decided to take a side road to avoid traffic. This plan worked great. What it also worked great for was 20 minutes into the trip, when Charlotte was reaching to keep her activity book from sliding off her lap and knocked over her entire chocolate milk onto the seat next to her, it gave me a place to pull over, pull her and the car-seat out, and give it a good (enough) clean job.

So, 3 miles or so into the trip, our first delay and false start. Using up all of the napkins in our glove box, I got the milk cleaned up. Back on the highway. At this point, we contact my parents, who live about equidistant from our proposed meeting point, only to find out they are probably 45 minutes or so ahead of us. Joy.

Back on the road, made it across the Skyway and started south on I-65 just East of Gary Indiana. Moving right along.

Until

About 1.5 hour into the drive, Charlotte proceeds to throw up all of the donuts and chocolate milk all over. Luckily, she somehow missed herself and her carseat, which was a nice surprise. It landed mainly on her Leappad game system, her activity book (cover) and onto our rubber floormats.

The next thing out of her mouth was "I knew that was going to happen".

(Inner monologue time here. IF you KNEW you were about to vomit, a WARNING would be NICE!)

So, we pulled into a gas station and proceeded to spend a good 45 minutes cleaning everything we could. We bought clorox wipes, paper towel, febreeze at the station and spent the time cleaning. I do not want to get into the details here to save you from imagining this more than you might have already done, but lets just say it was not a pleasant experience.

1/2 of a pill of Dramamine into Charlotte, as much of the smell out of the car as possible, and off again.

Now we're back on the road and my parents are pretty much already at the meeting spot, just south of Indianapolis. We apologize (all via text message, as we have not yet told our children that Grandma and Grandpa are joining us) and they decide to go shopping or something to spend the time.

I think our plan was to make it to Indy around noon, and we rolled in around 1:30.

Now, we're meeting at a Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant. My dad loves that place. They are obviously there ahead of us. We talk to the girls:
"I think you'll like this place, do you remember who loves this restaurant?"
"Grandpa"
"Who?"
"Grandp.....GRANDPA!!!! GRANDMA!!!!"
IMG_2856.JPG

Burgers were ordered, umbrella drinks enjoyed, and fun times had by all:
IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

The rest of the drive was thankfully fairly uneventful. Naps in the afternoon for the girls, a few movies to pass the time on the DVD player, the rest of the drive was fairly easy. The late / slow start got us to our stopping point much later than I had hoped for. We were stopping in a Holiday Inn Express in Chattanooga, TN, which was about 1/2 way for us. I dont think we ended up getting there until around 10:30pm that night. Tired, excited, exhausted, we all fell into bed asleep, hoping to get on the road on the early side the next day so that we could make it to the Caribbean Beach in time for dinner.

IMG_2869.JPG

Mrs.Skellington

Ok, let me knock out the next part of the TR, the first day's drive, since again, this one will likely not have a lot of photo's required, as we were in the car pretty much all day.

Girls loaded up in the car, activity books in hand (see above), donuts being consumed, we're off.

Since we were leaving around rush hour, I decided to take a side road to avoid traffic. This plan worked great. What it also worked great for was 20 minutes into the trip, when Charlotte was reaching to keep her activity book from sliding off her lap and knocked over her entire chocolate milk onto the seat next to her, it gave me a place to pull over, pull her and the car-seat out, and give it a good (enough) clean job.

So, 3 miles or so into the trip, our first delay and false start. Using up all of the napkins in our glove box, I got the milk cleaned up. Back on the highway. At this point, we contact my parents, who live about equidistant from our proposed meeting point, only to find out they are probably 45 minutes or so ahead of us. Joy.

Back on the road, made it across the Skyway and started south on I-65 just East of Gary Indiana. Moving right along.

Until

About 1.5 hour into the drive, Charlotte proceeds to throw up all of the donuts and chocolate milk all over. Luckily, she somehow missed herself and her carseat, which was a nice surprise. It landed mainly on her Leappad game system, her activity book (cover) and onto our rubber floormats.

The next thing out of her mouth was "I knew that was going to happen".

(Inner monologue time here. IF you KNEW you were about to vomit, a WARNING would be NICE!)

So, we pulled into a gas station and proceeded to spend a good 45 minutes cleaning everything we could. We bought clorox wipes, paper towel, febreeze at the station and spent the time cleaning. I do not want to get into the details here to save you from imagining this more than you might have already done, but lets just say it was not a pleasant experience.

1/2 of a pill of Dramamine into Charlotte, as much of the smell out of the car as possible, and off again.

Now we're back on the road and my parents are pretty much already at the meeting spot, just south of Indianapolis. We apologize (all via text message, as we have not yet told our children that Grandma and Grandpa are joining us) and they decide to go shopping or something to spend the time.

I think our plan was to make it to Indy around noon, and we rolled in around 1:30.

Now, we're meeting at a Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant. My dad loves that place. They are obviously there ahead of us. We talk to the girls:
"I think you'll like this place, do you remember who loves this restaurant?"
"Grandpa"
"Who?"
"Grandp.....GRANDPA!!!! GRANDMA!!!!"
View attachment 39434

Burgers were ordered, umbrella drinks enjoyed, and fun times had by all:
View attachment 39435

View attachment 39436

The rest of the drive was thankfully fairly uneventful. Naps in the afternoon for the girls, a few movies to pass the time on the DVD player, the rest of the drive was fairly easy. The late / slow start got us to our stopping point much later than I had hoped for. We were stopping in a Holiday Inn Express in Chattanooga, TN, which was about 1/2 way for us. I dont think we ended up getting there until around 10:30pm that night. Tired, excited, exhausted, we all fell into bed asleep, hoping to get on the road on the early side the next day so that we could make it to the Caribbean Beach in time for dinner.

View attachment 39437
Just a little advise from on parent of carsick kids to another. At my children's pediatricians office, they have these amazing blue puke bags. We carry them in every car we travel in. They have been lifesavers. The Dr.'s office has been happy to supply us with them. I also believe you can buy them at Walgreens.
Chocolate milk is the worst. :(

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Just a little advise from on parent of carsick kids to another. At my children's pediatricians office, they have these amazing blue puke bags. We carry them in every car we travel in. They have been lifesavers. The Dr.'s office has been happy to supply us with them. I also believe you can buy them at Walgreens.
Chocolate milk is the worst. :(
The funny thing is we have one of those in the car. With warning, we could have easily handed it back to her!:facepalm:

Weather_Lady

Ok, so I finally think that I got the video of "The Surprise" sent up to YouTube (unlisted) so that I could link in to it, might as well start off the TR with the first day of the trip....
A quick drive-through for munchkins, chocolate milk, and coffee and we're starting the drive.

What a great way to tell them -- I loved watching the girls make their wishes. (Your wife and daughters are beautiful, by the way.) :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Onward towards Disney today. Will we make it on day 2? Will we roll in too tired to enjoy ourselves? Will there be more carsickness in our future? Let's get into the second day drive. This will likely be low on the picture front again as well, as really, not a lot to take pictures of when you spend most of your day in the car driving through Georgia.

We woke up early-ish, probably 8am or so, and thanks to the adjoining rooms were able to get everyone up and ready around the same time.

A fairly quick visit to the continental breakfast for some morning sustenance (including the crowd-pleasing pancake machine) and a stop for gas, and we're on our way by around 9am.

Now, I've been a bit worried about how this 2 day drive was going to go for us with the girls. Will they be stir-crazy, sick of sitting, just desperate to get to WDW (or will it just be me who is like that)?

A quick picture from the previous day shows the joys of the drive. When the girls are both doing this, you can make some serious time:
Andrea iPhone 006.JPG

And yes, proud daddy moment here that Evelyn basically would not let her "Small World Book" activity book that I made for her go, even hugging it while she napped. Note that Charlotte fell asleep mid-color as well :)

Day 2 was a smooth drive. We started to get into the flow of things. Figure out when it makes sense to fill up the tank, when to ask around for potty breaks, and when it's time to resort to a Disney movie on the DVD player. We tried to stick to movies that the girls would agree on watching, which was not really always the easiest task. A lesson we would learn for the drive home.

No carsickness today, but we did preemptively give Charlotte a half a Dramamine to make sure we were ok. No chocolate milk today either. We've gotta move if we want to get to Caribbean Beach at a decent hour!

The day goes along and we hit the Florida Turnpike as the sun is setting. We're gonna make dinnertime.

Just as the kids are finally getting a little restless, the first real road sign for Disney World is spotted. This lead to a spontaneous chant of joy from the backseat for the next 20 minutes, pretty much until we reached the main gate. My wife caught some of it on video:
(note to folks here, like many, I cant really get to YouTube through work, but could do just enough to upload the video and TRY to turn it in the proper direction. I cannot however view it to see if it's truly turned correctly, so if the video is sideways, let me know so I can try and modify it).

And yes, I think it's a sign of parenthood that one could listen to that for 20 minutes straight and be happy about it, not driven insane. :)

We make it through the gates (barely avoiding a car that did everyone's favorite thing, slowed down quickly out of nowhere so someone in the car could take pictures of the Welcome gate).

First thing's first, we need to make it through the Custom House to check in. Now, again, we booked through a travel agent for this trip, because we needed that to get into the 1/2 marathon (which was full when we booked). We didn't get to ask for adjoining rooms, or rooms near each other. When they called us up front, they asked my father and I to step to different agents, so I knew right then and there that we're not getting adjoining rooms without a major hassle. I just request that we can be in the same "island", and they did get us into the same building even, but no adjoining rooms. I had my MagicBands with me, and after a moment, was assured that they should be all set up and ready to go. I create my pin and after reading all over this board, was ready for the worst.

While I'm checking in, the cast members were kind enough to offer magic wands to my girls, who immediately took them, then saw other kids with pirate swords, and begged to swap for swords. The CMs were nice enough to do the swap. Then of course, Evelyn immediately wants to swap back to the wand. Kids. Again, the CM is patient and deals with the fickle children probably better than I would have ("You asked for this one and THATS WHAT YOU GET").

Probably 20 minutes total in the Customs House and we're off to Jamaica. Charlotte is thrilled to try her MagicBand as a key to the room, and as I hold my breath and expect them to explode on her wrist or something, a quick "click" and we're in. MagicBand success 1. I find out later over on the other side that my father's band works as a key, but my mother's doesn't, which was quickly fixed by someone at the guest relations desk. All of my families bands are fine.

Everyone gets a quick few moments to spread out and enjoy themselves before we head over to Old Port Royale for a quick dinner. The girls are thrilled to be here
Andrea iPhone 005.JPG

Now, pause in the story for one of the few nits that I need to pick here. Those wanting all pixie dust can feel free to fast forward. I promise, I wont do this often.

<nitpicking>
This is my first trip to Caribbean Beach since I was a child. My parents reminded me that CBR was the first resort we ever stayed "on property", and it was the year that they opened. Not all "islands" were even open back then. So, this is my first trip here in 25 years. I actually really loved the resort, the theming, the beaches, etc. but, I can always be accused of being a bit of a sucker/stickler for theming, so...
Why are there Nemo things all over the room? Nemo bedspread? Nemo Wallpaper Border? How does Finding Nemo tie into "Caribbean" in the slightest bit? What, because a beach is on the ocean? Nevermind that Nemo lived in the Great Barrier Reef in AUSTRALIA!!! I know the kids like Nemo, I do. My kids dug Nemo in there. But, there is a Nemo section of Art of Animation, did CBR just get a bunch of overstock decorations here? I just don't get it. It took me out of the Caribbean the moment I saw it, and just left me scratching my head. I don't like it, I don't get it, and I think it's a bad choice. I'd rather it be "generic beach" themed, or not themed at all than MIS-THEMED.
</nitpicking>

Phew, sorry, that had to happen.

So, now we're off, over the island bridges, over to Old Port Royale for a quick dinner. We see that they are showing The Fox and the Hound outside, but since it's a little chilly for Florida, we decide to eat inside. We head on in, my mom gets her MagicBand fixed, and we grab a quick bite. Now, I'll get this over-with now as well, you guys are going to get the impression that I had a terrible time here, but I promise, stay with me, almost all of my complaints for the entire trip are over with very soon.

<complaint>
The foodcourt at CRB left me quite a bit underwhelmed. We ended up eating there multiple times in the next few days just because it was easy. This was the night before the 1/2 marathon for me, so I grabbed a little pasta while others tried things from other sections. I've had much better pasta sauce from jars of Ragu than I did there. I tried a few other options the next few days as well, and was equally underwhelmed. The best thing I ate there was the Mango Almond Tart in the morning, which was honestly great. The rest of the food that I tried, the Cuban Sandwich, the baked chicken, the pasta, all stuff I can get much better at my work cafeteria, and for probably 1/2 the price.
</complaint>

We eat, and head outside to catch the end of Fox and the Hound, which was always a favorite of mine (I still can remember catching it outdoors at Ft. Wilderness as a kid, roasting marshmallows with Chip and Dale). Everyone is pretty warn out, so it's back to the rooms.

We'd all been fighting some sort of chest-cold for nearly a month leading up to this trip, and my wife has kind of started to backslide into the cold on the drive down, so her doctor is nice enough to call in a prescription to a Walgreens for us. This means that I get the girls into the room and I'm back in the car again, this time to find the closest Walgreens with a 24 hour pharmacy. I clearly remember standing in line at the pharmacy at 9:00pm that night, dead tired and falling asleep on my feet, thinking to myself "you know, 24 hours from now, I'll be standing in my gate getting ready to run 13.1 miles. How am I EVER going to do that if I'm this tired right now!!!" The one bonus is that my drive back into the resort was timed perfectly so that JUST as I'm pulling into the Welcome gates, the Illuminations fireworks are going off directly over the gates. Now I'm likely the one killing people trying to snap pictures on my phone. Unlike others, I looked around and made sure there was nobody near me first. Also, the pictures sucked, and I deleted them once I got to the hotel and looked at them.

Back to the hotel, my wife has the girls bathed and in bed, and they're already asleep, so I come in as quiet as I can, get ready for bed quietly, and fall into bed, likely asleep before my head hit the pillow.

13.1 miles tomorrow night. I've never run that far in my life. I've never run at night. I'm a morning person. How am I ever going to get this to work?

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Ohh, I forgot to add unexpected MagicBand success 2 of the first night.
When I went through after coming back from the pharmacy, instead of needing to dig for my room-key, or have the gate-guard look me up in their system, he just had a little handheld band-scanner which verified my reservation in a second, and waved me right through. I had not expected this, and was pleasantly surprised.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Finally, all of my pictures are semi-organized, or at least downloaded to our home computer, so I think I can press forward. Once again, I apologize to any skilled photographers out there, because I am assuredly not one.

The plan for the day was as follows:
The runDisney kids races for Charlotte and Evelyn were at 10:00am. 12 hours later, the 1/2 marathon for my father and I. In between that time was going to be some relaxing and pooltime at the resort. Should be pretty easy and fun, right?

Since we got in too late the night before, we didn't have enough time to go and pick up any of the packets before the race, so we needed to get to the ESPN Wide World of Sports with enough time to pick up the kids race packets and our own. We need a breakfast in there too. So, we're off to Old Port Royale for breakfast, then to ESPN WWoS.

We're a little behind schedule by the time we get to ESPN, so I run ahead in order to get the kids packets in time for the race. Of course, after I run off, my dad decides to run in and get his packet as well, and we end up waiting for him. We get the girl's race numbers on them, leave my mom to find my dad somewhere, and head over to the track for the race. Now, my wife will say that the kids races were unorganized, and while I would say that it was kind of confusing over there, I'd imagine that wrangling hundreds of young children into a semi-organized event would be near impossible.

I take Evie over to the starting line for the 100 meter dash, which is first, while my mom takes Charlie over to the starting line for the 200, which is next. Andrea and my dad head over to the finish line. I'm glad they let the parents run with their kids, I can't fathom how any of these races would have worked without. Evie at first did NOT want me running with her, but changed her mind at the last minute. She did great, actually running the whole thing, which was a SHOCK. Charlotte is the current runner in the family, Evie surprised me in her dedication to run from start to finish.
745612-1003-0007s.jpg

After I get through the finish line with her, and my wife points out that Pluto is there hanging at the finish line to meet the kids, we give a high-five to Pluto and I take her over to the finish line to meet up with everyone, so I can sprint over so I can run with Charlotte. After looking around for 5 minutes, I finally find her, to the relief of my mom, who had this look on her face like she was going to have to try and run this race with Charlotte if I hadn't made it. Charlotte was happy too. On your marks, get set... try and weave your way through crowds of kids!
743315-1005-0034s.jpg

745614-1009-0015s.jpg

What a blast!

Once we've got the races finished, the girls have their medals, it's time for us to head over and get my packet, our race shirts, and any merch we might want from the race. I also wanted to bump up as many race corrals as I could, as we had not initially entered any times and were a few corrals back from where I wanted to be for the race that evening. Using a time for a 15k we ran earlier this year, we probably could have bumped up 2 corrals, but there was no more room in that one, so we moved up at least to corral G (2h 30min pace). Any move up is good at this point. A trip over to get our shirts, our merch (I really wanted one of the 13.1 car magnets shaped like mouse ears), we were heading back to CBR for lunch.

After lunch, we hit the pool. It was a touch chilly in the air (windy), but the girls had blast. Charlotte spent most of the time on the slides in the big pool, Evie more time in the younger spash area.
PB090567.JPG

We slid back to the rooms around 4, got the girls out of their suits so they could head to the beach and playgrounds, I stayed in the room to take a quick nap before dinner. It only ended up being 40 minutes or so, but I needed it. The girls headed off to make sand castles.
Andrea iPhone 051.JPG

I woke up and met everyone down in Old Port Royale for a light dinner, and then it was nearly time for my dad and I to get ready and start heading over to the busstop to get to ESPN WWoS for the race. We followed the instructions, and made it to the bus stop by 8pm. This got us to the starting area PLENTY early. Like, hours early. We checked our bags in bag check, scanned the crowds and dance party area, and headed to the runners only area. Neither of us were up for dancing at the moment.

The one thing I was not expecting for some reason were all the costumes. I think Tweedle Dum and Dee seemed to be the most popular, but my favorite was the guy running in a full chef outfit with Remy in his pocket. Or Jessica Rabbit. We just sat and rested as much as we could, watching the lines for the port-a-pottys grow as the race got closer. Great vibe in the area though, tons of people just ready for a fun time.

Around 9pm, we headed to our corral and stole a few spots on the curb to sit until the race stepped off at 10. Lots more sitting and waiting, but I didnt want to stand up too much when I was about to run 13.1 miles. They announced that there were going to be 14000 participants! Holy geez! We were right about in the dead middle of the pack in corral G.

Scotts_iPhone 012.JPG

At 10pm, the countdown, music, and fireworks and the real serious runners were off. It was really cool how they had separate starts for each corral, with the same countdown, music, and fireworks, but separated by about 2-3 minutes each. 20 minutes or so after the first runners were off (meaning they probably had already run 4 miles!) we were up. Runners ready. 5...4...3...2...1...
Scotts_iPhone 016.JPG

Here we go!

I'm going to split the race into it's own post, mostly because Evie is currently asking me:
"Daddy, can you be a horse for a second?" So, duty calls.

Next post, do I survive the 1/2 marathon???

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
When last we left, fireworks were in the sky and our corral was taking off for the race. Did I make it to the finish line? Let see. Again. I'm going to apologize for the few photos I have on here, as with most race photos, I brought my iPhone with me, and tried to snap quick pictures while running at night, which is NOT the iPhone's forte to say the least. Also, well, we'll get to that during the race.

We're off. Slowly. Now, I'm not expecting to set the world afire with my first 1/2 marathon. I trained this race specifically so that I would finish, and it would be the longest run of my life. I had considered trying to make a specific time, but when the training plan called for a 16 mile run a few weeks before the race, I decided that I'd rather just train to finish 13.1 miles, run with my father, enjoy myself. I didn't want the race to be some form of letdown, being a distance I'd finished weeks earlier while training. So, I'd not run further than 12 miles in my training leading up to this.

Still though, saying the beginning of the run was congested is an understatement. I was fairly surprised at the number of people who we passed (at a slow jog) who were walking before the 1/2 mile point. I have NO problem with folks walking, really, I don't. I'm just surprised that they were assigned to a corral equal to or greater than mine. I was planning on running 10 minute miles or so, and to have to weave past groups of people walking within the first mile was crazy to me. Note to self for future Disney races. Submit my fastest qualifying time, even if I have no intention of running that fast. I had a nice 10k time a few weeks before the race that could have shown me running 8 minute miles, and likely would have jumped me up a few corrals, but since I was not planning on running anywhere NEAR that fast, I didn't submit that time, but a slower one from a 15k much earlier in the year.

By the first mile marker, we were just starting to be able to pick up the pace a little. The first mile was around 11 minutes, which was slower than we had planned. Still, very enjoyable, great crowd, loved seeing our first characters, the Country Bears, out to take pictures (for which I did not stop). Past the 1 mile mark, we were able to pick up our pace to something that felt a little more comfortable at the time. Keeping track on my RunKeeper app, that turned out to be about 9:30 pace. Mistake, yes, as we picked up the pace too much, but we're feeling good and it doesn't seem to feel like a mistake at the time.

Running on the roads in WDW at night is crazy, fun, and everything I had hoped it would be. Running past people in costumes was also great, and if I ever do a Disney run again, I may just have to brainstorm a good costume that is running friendly.

I'll state now I loved how much to see and hear that Disney put out for the race. Lots of portable music setups, characters, folks out cheering. It was really great. Also, any Cast Members that might read this, thank you and your fellow CMs who were out cheering, especially as the miles went along. DHS seemed swamped with CMs cheering for ALL of the runners. If I had a hat, it would be off to all of you.

Around the point that we hit the 5k mark, we're making the turn to head into Animal Kingdom. One very positive about this race is that just when you were getting tired or bored at staring at the open road ahead of you, it was time to enter one of the parks, which was a treat.

I tried to take a picture of the Christmas tree at the gates, as it was really our first sight of DAK, but I did it while still running, and it's pretty much a blur:
Scotts_iPhone 001 (2).JPG

As we run through the Oasis and make that turn to the Tree of Life, it looks fantastic lit up for night. I tried this time running ahead of my dad for quick second, stopping off to the side, and taking a picture, but that one turned out so bad I won't even link it here. Lets just pretend everyone has seen nice pictures of the Tree of Life at night and everyone can pretend I took one that looks like those.

(side note, as I type this, about Florida and running outside and stuff, snow is falling outside my window, UGH)

The cool thing about DAK is how BIG it is. And you don't realize just HOW big until you're running it in a race. We entered DAK just around the 5k mark, and exited it around the 10k mark. Lots of great character stops throughout, but as I wanted to really run this race from start to finish without really stopping, I passed these up. I did take a quick snap of one of the great large lighted puppets they had, this one Tigger right at the "entrance" to DAK (which was where we were leaving the park). This one ALMOST turned out to be not a horrible picture.
Scotts_iPhone 003 (2).JPG

Nope, still pretty terrible.

It's at this point though, right around mile 7, that my dad really started struggling. He's an avid runner, and much better than me typically (he's finished a 1/2 under 2 hours in the last 5 years), but he's almost 65, and the pace we had set after mile 1 really was too fast for him at this time. So, he told me I'm welcome to run ahead if I wanted, but he had to slow down. I decided I wanted to run with him, so we both slowed down, him to what basically was a speed walk (or what he called a Senior Shuffle). Still, I was able to keep at a jog with him, and we paced around 11 or 11.5 minute miles for the next 5k or so. This took us over towards DHS. They really drag out that entrance to DHS though, as I saw our first signs for it, and over a mile later, we still had not entered. Lots of fun things to see on the way, including a great Lilo and Stitch stop blaring Elvis. We had our "snack" that they handed out around the 8.5 mile mark, which was some sort of gel pack. I didn't pay attention to what I grabbed, squeezed it into my mouth, and was not happy when what seemed like sludge-textured chocolate went in. I would have liked anything at that point, but that chocolate one really didn't sit right in mid-run. I was glad when a water/power-aid stop was close by, to get that taste out of my mouth.

Into DHS it was great to see a lot of the backstage areas. And finally, when we entered under the Tower of Terror and ran down Sunset Blvd, it really was an awesome experience. All the lights and themeing really sunk in.
Scotts_iPhone 004 (2).JPG

As we chugged through over into the parts on the backstage tour, I really enjoyed the disco tunnel they had set up, with disco balls, fog machines, and music blaring. Anything to keep us going at that time.
Scotts_iPhone 005 (2).JPG

Out of the tunnel, I see something that finally had convinced me that I could easily stop and take pictures and then pick up the pace and catch up to my dad, The Incredibles, who are Charlotte's current obsession. She would have gotten the biggest kick out of seeing a picture of me with them. I pull my phone out of my arm-holder and get ready to stop and jump in line when I see the wondrous "low-battery 20%" popup. Crap. I'm tracking my run on RunKeeper as I run. Every piece of training I'd done this year has been tracked in that app. Every bike-commute, every run, everything. I wanted badly to get this run in there as well. So, I put my phone back into the holder, don't pull over to stop, and keep along. Then I pass Sheriff Woody and Buzz (Woody is Evie's current obsession, in fact, in the past month or so, she 90% of the time will only answer to the name Woody "I'm not Evie, I'm Woody"). Finally, I pass Wreck-it Ralph, who is what Evie has taken to calling me for the past 3 months or so (again, 90% of the time I'm Wreck-it Ralph, not dad). They're really rubbing my low-battery in on me now, aren't they???

We're coming up to the 11 mile mark when I pull my phone out to check in on it again.
"low-battery 10%".

Double Crap.

At this point, I am probably going to lose my race tracking. I turn to my dad, say "Well, I can either lose this race, or I can try and beat the battery to the finish". He once again says that I'm welcome to take off, he'll meet me around the finish line. So, after running with my dad for 11 miles, I decide to give it a shot. I take off.

The last 2.1 miles of the race I push myself, and end up running an 8:30 and a 7:55 minute mile, running through the Yacht and Beach club (seeing my favorite T-shirt on a runner "This is the worst parade EVER") into Epcot just trying to keep the pace up. Behind the scenes past the Soarin' building, out in front of the fountain, under Spaceship Earth, and out towards the parking lot, I'm just trying to make it so I can click "Save" on my run before my battery dies. Round that last bend, I'm pushing hard. Final turn, a quick high-five to Mr. Mickey Mouse, and I'm across the finish line. I click "Done" and "Save", and it looks to have worked! I can't believe I beat the battery! I wander ahead, grab my medal, my snack box, and pull off to the side to try and wait for my dad to come up. I try to open my phone to take one last selfie of me and my medal, and as I try and unlock the phone, blink, it shuts down. Oh well. Wait, what was my time??? I didn't pay any attention to it! Oh well. I finished. I'm done. I made it! I didn't walk any more than occasionally in the water-stations so I didn't spill power-aid on myself. I just ran 13.1 miles. Holy crap.

Off to the side, I wait in the glow of accomplishment to see if I can pick my dad out of the thousands of runners streaming by. About 10 minutes later, give or take, I spot him and head out. He's doing ok. Tired, but ok. We stop for a quick photo from one of the folks there taking pictures
737922-1015-0012s.jpg

Phew. My dad needs to do a little walking to make sure his legs don't cramp up, so we pretend to wander lost a little as they try in vain to herd everyone through in a straight line, from finish to medal to photo to bag-check to changing area to beer stand and out the exit. We take a quick walk to the end of the row, then back to get our bags. My dad wants to change at some point, hit the restroom, and I want to get my well-deserved beer. I get in beer-line while he heads back to change. At this point, the beer line at the end is so backed up, they're not taking the "drink vouchers" or even checking IDs. Just kind of trying to get people their drinks and get them moving. I grab my Yuengling and wait for my dad to meet back up.

I've never had a "runner's high", but I will say, the sense of accomplishment really had me in what I can only describe as a glow. I can't believe I did it.

After we're all done in the running area, we head into the park. It's right around 1:20am. We make a quick decision to hit up SSE for a nice little trip through time, joking with the CM that they might need to call a fork-lift to get us standing again at the end of the ride. SSE is in fine form, and very enjoyable in the middle of the night. It really does need a new script though. And they need to swap out the video-screen based ending. Can't we get ... wait, I don't really want to get into my EPCOT ranting now. I just ran 13.1 miles, just enjoy it. There's plenty of room for ranting later.

We pry ourselves out of the cars, email our "trip to the future" to my wife, sleeping soundly in bed at this time, and head over for Soarin, which is one of my dad's favorite rides. I have not done Soarin in probably 6 years, I just don't like it enough to justify the lines. This time, around 2am though, it's walk-on. No wait. so I give it a chance. Nope, still don't like it. It was good-enough for the 0 minute wait I guess, and my dad loves it. Maybe when we head back to Epcot later in the trip, I'll devote some time to my thoughts, but again, lets not spoil a perfectly good post-race moment by complaining here.

We decide it's time to get a snack, and head towards the World Showcase. Now, the race is still going on, so getting to the WS is not easy. They have a pretty decent gating system set up to try and shuffle people across by actually modifying the race-course a touch and "staging" people in areas that let some people through while letting the runners (or at this point, walkers) continue towards the finish. Still though, it takes us 20 minutes or so to get across that point to where we could start heading out to the WS. We're tired, hungry, it's 2:30am. We make a snap decision (without consulting any Food and Wine maps) and take a right, over past Canada. My dad needs some food, and I want something as well. And another beer.

We wander a little, he gets an Orange Dole Whip, and I keep looking for something that appeals to me, but doesn't have a huge line. Hard to find. The one thing I really want is to try the Kimchee Dog over in the Korean stand, but I have no idea where it is. I also just ran 13 miles, I do NOT feel like walking too far. Also, I have young kids that will be waking up, ready to do our first day in the parks in a scant few hours. We make it as far as the UK, decide to stop, turn around, and I ask a CM where Korea is. If it's in front of Japan, I'll push on. If not...

It's in front of China. No way. So, we make our way back to the front. I stop at Hawaii and get a few pork sliders and a big beer from the Kona Brewing Company (their porter, which I really enjoyed). At this point, it's 3am. We decide to call it a night. I walk and finish my beer as we head to the bus area. It's just about the furthest bus in the section, and we make it barely. A quick bus-ride back, and I'm sneaking into the room probably close to 4am, trying not to wake anyone. Plug my phone in and hit bed. I'm not waking the kids up with the shower. Sorry honey, you're waking up next to a stinky runner. A stinky runner that just ran 13.1 miles. A stinky runner who just toured the World. A stinky runner with a sense of accomplishment that really puts a smile on his face.

Oh yeah. The times. The next morning, phone charged, I see my time. 2 hours, 21 minutes. Good enough for me. My dad finished around 2 hours 29 minutes. Pretty good for an old man ;)

Next up. Limping around the Magic Kingdom on 3 hours sleep and 13 miles run!

JillC LI

Congratulations on your first Half Marathon! Great picture with your dad. And I love the pics of your girls enjoying their runs as well. You should join us on the Disney Running sub-forum sometime.

And btw, you are a brave man getting into bed with your wife without showering. My husband might try to divorce me for doing that after a run! LOL. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him - I can hardly stand to be around myself afterwards sometimes! LOL. I got home from the TOT 13K at 2am but I still showered before getting into bed, even though I had to be up at 5:30am the next morning to catch our flight home.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Congratulations on your first Half Marathon! Great picture with your dad. And I love the pics of your girls enjoying their runs as well. You should join us on the Disney Running sub-forum sometime.
I've poked my head in the running forum for a while, posing in the What did you do occasionally and asking a few questions leading up to the race. Honestly, I have no idea why I stopped posting in there, everyone is so nice and supportive, and very informative! You are totally right, I need to pop back in there. Also, I need to start running again. I've only run once since the 1/2, and I have a 5k on Thursday... :eek:

And btw, you are a brave man getting into bed with your wife without showering. My husband might try to divorce me for doing that after a run! LOL. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him - I can hardly stand to be around myself afterwards sometimes! LOL. I got home from the TOT 13K at 2am but I still showered before getting into bed, even though I had to be up at 5:30am the next morning to catch our flight home.
She didn't even really wake up when I popped in, and I thought she'd be MUCH more upset if I took a shower and the noise ended up waking up either of the girls at 4am (they had the bed that was closest to the bathroom) than if she woke up next to a smelly runner. As bad as I am sure I was, I think I made the right call. A crying 2 year old at 4am would have really made things worse. A shower is the first thing I did when everyone started stirring in the morning, that is for sure :)

bethram

Congratulations on your first half! Like @JillC LI said, you really should join us over in the running forum.

I'm enjoying your trip report as I bide my time waiting to surprise my kids with a trip in 10 days. Thank you for sharing your trip with us :)

JillC LI

Congratulations on your first half! Like @JillC LI said, you really should join us over in the running forum.

I'm enjoying your trip report as I bide my time waiting to surprise my kids with a trip in 10 days. Thank you for sharing your trip with us :)

I remember the countdown to surprising our kids with a Disney trip last year. I thought the days would never pass and that I might explode with anticipation for their reaction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom