Please delete.

Disney4Lyfe

You can say the same thing about the Dis too. A lot of posters have left there too. I think the biggest difference is that over there many are still planning trips and the focus is on trip planning. They have boards over there that are dead too. Like the rumours board isn't busy at all. Not like it was a few years ago.
There is no news or rumors. So that's part of the problem for sure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will say the thing I find with the Dis is lack of good discussions like that go on here. Take for instance the Genie+ thread. Lots of interesting discussion and some good insight to behind the scenes stuff. Over there they most of the time it either dies or gets licked quickly.

Ever since Covid there has been a lot of divide here. I don't want to get into a lot of it but I will say it's a shame politics have gotten in the way.
I agree…these are unusual times. Add this completely stupid 100% political Florida/reedy creek thing that directly affects Disney and here we are.

floydbeatle

This is my favorite Disney fan site. After years of going to all of them I feel like this site has a good mix of insiders/old timers/noobies/lurkers (me)/and others. In the spirit of this particular thread I will only say that I no longer visit the Dis or any of its numerous subsidiaries for various reasons. I would also not recommend them.

My profile says I joined in 2020 but I can tell you I was always on the forums reading all the threads and posts. That being said I have always chosen my words and posts carefully. I do not want to get into a negative back and forth with any other member of the site. It was like that before the pandemic, it is like that now, and it will be like that in the future. FWIW I think it has gotten progressively worse, but members were not playing nice in the sandbox all the time before as well.

I happen to think the mods here are some of the best. I enjoy the site and will continue to try and be positive. I think its just a little harder considering how far Disney has fallen in the eyes of long time fans.

Jrb1979

There is no news or rumors. So that's part of the problem for sure.
Right now the big discussion here is about changes to Genie+. With some insiders here you get some good information. Over there while it's being discussed most dismiss any rumors or are more worried about their trip and how it will be affected.

While the Dis is more active, there is little talk about new attractions or new parks being built. There is a good thread about Epic Universe here with constant updates. I tried to start a thread about Epic Universe awhile ago and it died within a few days. The focus is on trips then things happening at the parks.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I miss the days of rec.arts.disney.parks ("RADP") on the Usenet. I like forums, and have no interest in TikTok, Twitter, Instagram...

I am now very selective about posting opinions on WDW Magic as my opinions lean towards the minority and have offended some of the majority. Even the Survivor threads drift into political/culture and I found it better to just not follow the forum than to worry about someone reporting my post. Yes, that has happened and I appreciate the second chance Steve gave me and re-instating my account.

The signal : noise ratio on many of the threads makes it difficult to keep up. I absolutely love the picture updates on construction threads and now find myself scrolling past most of the discussions just to find the pics. But, I also value the insight on the tools, resorts, etc. that assist in planning future trips. It's just harder to get that insight with so many arguments mixed in that are repeated to no end.

My absolute favorite memory on these forums was the opening of ROTR. Being up early, watching the forum on my phone, then meeting up with some other WDS Magic contributors in line that opening day... great memories to add to our one year with annual passes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I try to make my posts fun when I do, but at least for me, there's not much exciting to talk about when it comes to WDW at the moment.

GOTG is open, TRON will be finished, so what's next? I don't think Communicore Plaza and Moana is going to generate an exciting level of interest and posting. Are we all going to go ga-ga for Magicband+?

We've also lost some of the insiders and the ones that would stir things up like 74 that helped drive people posting and the ones that are left like @marni1971 have said they aren't particularly interested in what's happening in Orlando, so that's played a role too.

And forums in and of themselves are a throwback. Many of those looking for Disney tips and discussion are probably finding it on other social media avenues.
The reality is nothing is coming anytime soon. This was all iger’s “legacy build” program. And the hack now is twice as stupid as Iger was about parks.

So the dark ages for wdw fans are here. Once they change they way built/invested…it wasn’t going back. The customers are the losers…make no mistake.

So queue the “what’s coming at D23?!?” Threads…that’s a tad delusional these days.

It’s usually “more details on something we said 4 years ago that’s half built or “looking for money to be built” now”

Last edited:

floydbeatle

I just spent 20 minutes going over this thread because I could have sworn someone mentioned EPIC universe and trying to start a thread on a different site. So I went to look for it here, found it, and thought to myself that I really restrict my views/posts because I only look at the main page. I sometimes forget how much more there is to wdwmagic! Since I am super excited over EPIC Universe it looks like I now have another thread to go spend copious amount of time viewing posts and since there is already 187 pages I have plenty of reading to do.

I used Twitter, FB, and reddit in the past. I have found them to be all incredibly less useful than this site. While I normally go to reddit for videogame issues I hate reddit. I can never follow along with the threads and most of the time the OP never gets a thorough answer. It could be restricted to the gamer side of reddit, but I avoid it at all costs if possible. Unfortunately, every time I look something up on a game a reddit site pops up.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don’t get any of these references.

Magic used to be a much better forum then Dis. MUCH better. Once the politics board hit, then follow that up with the past two years whatever it is that went on here. Why would anyone bother?

I came back for info on Genie+ and I’ve found This place to be a little less distasteful then I left it, but far less active.

So I’m mostly on the Dis now.

YMMV

So you got banned here, went to Dis, but came back here under a new name because you didn't get what you wanted there, and now you are trashing this site because it's not what you want/expect it to be and say you're going to spend most of your time on Dis?

see ya goodbye GIF

nickys

Premium Member
You can say the same thing about the Dis too. A lot of posters have left there too. I think the biggest difference is that over there many are still planning trips and the focus is on trip planning. They have boards over there that are dead too. Like the rumours board isn't busy at all. Not like it was a few years ago.
That’s because the moderator from the News and Rumours Board was banned.

Others left of their own volition, and some of the new ones are clueless.

Vegas Disney Fan

A lot has changed over those years. We've all aged, the parks and management has changed, the world has become increasingly hostile and overwhelmed with corruption, dishonesty and greed.

I wonder how that has changed our perception also, I read many posts and see hostility only to read them later and not see hostility. The problem with written word is emotion is very hard to interpret.

I also find I get bored of threads quickly because they inevitably end up with a few people shouting at each other in a never ending circle trying to change opinions, it’s not so much a discussion as a shouting match. It’s no wonder people feel like they’re being shouted down, they are. Ironically the more active a thread becomes the less likely I am to actively participate in it, longer usually just means a dozen active posters have dug in and are fighting to the end.

willtravel

So you got banned here, went to Dis, but came back here under a new name because you didn't get what you wanted there, and now you are trashing this site because it's not what you want/expect it to be and say you're going to spend most of your time on Dis?

see ya goodbye GIF
So how do you know this person got banned here and then came back under a new name? Just wondering?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom