Nothing for the Carousel of Progress for it's 50th this April?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Reading the Disney Parks Blog and various tweets, I'm happy that Disney is recognizing "it's a small world" for it's 50th anniversary coming up this April 22, but nothing for Mr. Lincoln (which was restored a couple of years ago to it's world's fair version with some enhancements), and NOTHING for the Carousel of Progress.

Very saddened to see that there is no recognition for this attraction and I don't see why they can't be celebrating "it's a small world" at Disneyland on the west coast and celebrate "Carousel of Progress" on the east coast this April.

DisneyPrincess5

Yes it is sad, it's one of our most beloved attractions but I am afraid @Magenta Panther may be right. We shall see I guess... It's one of those enigmas where it's great to see, but you kind of don't get why it hangs around. Maybe they're superstitious about removing it. Like Spirits will reign blows upon all things Disney if it disappears.

loveofamouse

it sure seems that way. It's like keeping around the ol' family dog that's sick, deaf, blind, got arthritis with no teeth. You don't want to invest anything into him but he's too precious to put down. I went through CoP last week. It was sad. The father (sorry. don't know names) couldn't even part his lips anymore in any scene. All of the Animatronics had super shiny, plastic skin. The last scene looked like a joke. Besides still screaming 1990, they made it worse by sticking a FLAT SCREEN in there! It dated the scene so bad! Looked so out of place.

rct247

The problem isn't that it has had it's day. It is that it hasn't been updated properly. While it is great to still hear about life in 1904, 1927, 1948ish, and 1999, it really wasn't ever meant to stay those dates. The first three was years out of decades that the audience still remembered vividly. Now it is impossible for someone to remember living the days of the first act, you have very few people who remember the days of the second act, and our grandparents and great grandparents only familiar with the 3rd act first hand. While most of us can recall the days of Act 4, it's truly an accurate depiction of the 90s so much as a depiction what the end of the 90s was supposed to be like in the future.

The building and ride system haven't aged well either. Browse YouTube and you will find lots of videos of Carousel of Progress acting up. Guests simply leave the theater leaving guests to watch the same scene multiple times until it gets to the point that they literally dump the building and have to start all over.

CoP might be getting a small minor refurbishment in the fall, but they really did miss out on an opportunity completely restore it for the 50th of completely redo it for a new generation.

I've said it a few times on here, but all they need is a sponsor like Apple or Microsoft to come in and the focus needs to be placed on how the computer has change home living over the years vs. electricity.

Act I - 1955 - Electronics and modern appliances are really starting to ramp up in home living. Futuristc thinking is on the rise. We have lots to reference in pop culture with Disneyland, rock n' roll, etc.
Act II - 1976 - Both Apple and Microsoft were born in this year. America was celebrating the bicentennial, perfect for the 4th July references of this act. Home living features lots of new electronics, more and more of which are leading us to personal computers.
Act III - 1999 - The height of the dot com era, personal computers and digital technology were at a high, but still had so much more untapped potential. Video games, television, satellites, cell phones, the internet, and even probes being sent to Mars. The late 90s were another time of futuristic optimism.
Act IV - 2025 - We've come along way since 1999. The internet is no longer a baby. Cell phones are smart phones. Technology is king with digital paper, 3D printing, home automation truly becoming reality.

Carousel of Progress would have lost some of the museum factor and nostolgia of almost being exactly what Walt creating, but in it's place, his spirit would live on with a new show that would reengage audiences on a trip through their own lives and not some much of a century before.

tinkerblonde11

It'll be sad for my family and I to see the day CoP gets taken out. It's just such a classic and we still love it even though it's outdated. Unfortunately, I can imagine it will eventually be replaced by something newer and more appealing to large audiences. From what I've seen, the wait for CoP is rarely over 5 minutes.
Still gonna be singing "There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow..."

Chef Mickey

I agree it's sad to see CoP in its current state, but I still firmly believe its message and premise is great. It can be made great again.

Disney needs to realize or care that attractions don't have to continue to exist in their current state until the wheels just fall off and they have to totally scrap it and put something new in its place.

CoP should get some TLC every 10 years or so to refresh the scenes while preserving Walt's original idea. It can continue to be a great addition to Tomorrowland. The ride system is fine. The idea is great. The characters are fine (but need some TLC) Even the music is fine...classic.

I wish they'd just spend some money improving it. Replace the seats for starters. Update the audio system. Update John, Sara, Jimmy, etc. to be the same characters, but newly programmed. Keep the music, but remaster the soundtrack. And update the scenes to make it relevant to what people remember as the "past" and give it a decent future. It really would be less expensive than completely tearing it down and starting over with a new idea.

Unfortunately, I believe Disney just wants to ride it until the wheels fall off, but it is getting embarrassing. I say this as a CoP apologist.

KCheatle

I'm torn. COP is my favorite, and I like the historical element it brings by keeping the older scenes in there. But, yes, the final scene is terribly awkward and not realistic (and certainly not "futuristic"). I would be very sad if they removed it and didn't replace it with something that did that area in the park justice. I do like @rct247 's idea with the updated dates. It would keep some of the history, but also allow it to progress appropriately :)

Chef Mickey

I'm torn. COP is my favorite, and I like the historical element it brings by keeping the older scenes in there. But, yes, the final scene is terribly awkward and not realistic (and certainly not "futuristic"). I would be very sad if they removed it and didn't replace it with something that did that area in the park justice. I do like @rct247 's idea with the updated dates. It would keep some of the history, but also allow it to progress appropriately :)
I also hate the idea of closing it and just leaving it there, as a relic. I can see them doing that...

MKCP 1985

I would rather sing and hear other sing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" or "Now is the Time, Now is the Best Time" than "It's a Small World" anytime. That is for sure.

The boat ride to the land of dolls is much more well known and iconic than the Carousel of Progress, so it gets the love.

ParkMan73

I really enjoy COP, but...

Even with new sets & animatronics, would people really watch it? It's a 20+ minute slow paced show. Even looking around here, folks are often clamoring for some new E-ticket ride. I don't think the general public has a desire for that kind of attraction anymore. I suspect they want more excitement than COP can provide.

I'd love to see what WDI could be with the concept in a modern setting - I'm just not sure it would make a difference.

Chef Mickey

I really enjoy COP, but...

Even with new sets & animatronics, would people really watch it? It's a 20+ minute slow paced show. Even looking around here, folks are often clamoring for some new E-ticket ride. I don't think the general public has a desire for that kind of attraction anymore. I suspect they want more excitement than COP can provide.

I'd love to see what WDI could be with the concept in a modern setting - I'm just not sure it would make a difference.
I almost start crying when I read this stuff. I can't lose anymore of my memories...

People are just different now. So impatient and so ADD. Not everything has to be an E-Ticket thrill or a loud, obnoxious character in your face. Am I right???

75disney

I always loved COP, but I was shocked when my DDs fell in love with it too. I wasn't expecting kids today to find it appealing. COP is one of their favorite MK attractions. I guess they do have a little bit of me in them after all.

cheezbat

Carousel of Progress is a classic...but it needs to be updated. Once again WDW screws up by missing a perfect opportunity to breathe some new life into an attraction that wouldn't cost them more than a few million most likely.
It's been what - twenty years since the last update? Pathetic.
I really enjoy the attraction, and I'm a thrill seeker. That should say something. Disney, please update and refresh CoP!

copcarguyp71

If Disney cared then that attraction could be renewed...sadly it sits like an aging family member that was put in a nursing home and everyone simply forgets to pick up and bring to holiday dinners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom