Not the Trip We Wanted :(

LSUxStitch

I'm sorry for the long post, but there are many details to let out....

We left for WDW this past Sunday the 19th, arrived in the afternoon, and was in the parks from 5-3AM :). I was a happy camper, Monday came and yet another day of excitement. We were the end of an unfortunate call at 6 am on Tuesday morning from my sister in law telling my wife that their mother had to be rushed into ICU that morning. We were scheduled to be there until Saturday the 25th, but had to make the hard decision to leave our trip only a day and half into the trip.

We were staying at the PO:FQ resort, so I went down to the front desk as early as I could to see what our options were for the trip. I was promptly stopped before reaching the desk and told to call WDW Reservations line for further action, as they couldn't do anything at the resort to help me. After being on hold for a bit (mind you, my nerves were bad as is), I was told on by the person on the other end that she didn't know why they told me to call her, that I should have spoken to a manager. I tried telling her that I tried, but was told they could do nothing for me. She helped me best she could, told us that our unused room nights would be refunded at the rate I paid, but my dining plan (9 snacks remaining, 8 sit downs remaining, and 10 QS remaining) would not be refunded :(. That surprised me as its a REALLY expensive cost. I was also told at the time my tickets would be not refunded, but I could add the non-expiring onto them to save them ($220 a ticket). Well, at this point, I had a sickness in my stomach from the info just told and the amount of money I was about to lose, but she told me to find the manager at the resort to figure the checking out early thing.

So I did just that, went in and was stopped again my a middle person before the desk and asked if I could be helped. I told her I'd like to speak to a manager, but she insisted she could help. I told her that the WDW Reservations line they told me to call earlier recommended I speak to a manager. She made a little bit of a face and went to "prep" the manager before he spoke to me, which I thought was weird, knowing that she had no idea what my situation was... Anyways, he told me that they had no control over the room refund, since they haven't been paid for my room yet (it's paid to Disney and I guess they pay the resorts? I have no idea) BUT, he did tell me he would refund the remaining 5 day hopper passes for my wife and I and I was excited...until he told me the refund would only be $266 for both and the two days we used cost nearly $500+!!. He explained they break the package up like I bought a 2 day and refund the rest. To me, that seems VERY sketchy...since they were going to charge me for a 7 day package to add the non-expiring on, even though I used 2 days already.

We haven't gotten the amount we're receiving for the unused rooms, but I have a feeling they'll break that into some cheap cost as well :(

It just really sucks bc the wife and I REALLY needed this vacation due to other bad things happening as of late and we had to cut a 7 day vacation into a day and half vacation with only 1 full day in the parks. On top of that, for what we paid to change our return flights, this day and half vacation is probably only going to cost us $2280. That's with the refund of the 266 dollars in tickets and I THINK we paid 145 a night for the room. So if my guestimation is correct, our 3 day trip cost only 500 less than a 7 day trip. Jeeze...I'm getting queazy again....

tl;dr Had to leave 7 day trip early due to family medical emergency after only 2 days, got run around from disney, what I feel is a rip off of a return on tickets, no refund on dining, and my trip from 19-21st is going to cost me 2300 compared to 2800 I originally paid for the 7 day trip :(

barnett

Sorry that you had to leave so quickly and didn't get to enjoy yourself but don't give up. Write a letter, not an email, to:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Explain your situation and explain what you want. If you are able to get back easily, perhaps you can request that you just postpone the rest of your trip and you can use it another time. If you want a refund only, spell out how much you want. You might not get it but you might get more than you would at the resort itself. Include you phone number and you should get a call.

Upvote 0

note2001

Sorry you got the run-around. I really hope your MIL is doing better. Disney is known for having great customer service and to me it sounds like someone was under-trained to tell you to make a call. In my opinion, at the very least they could have assisted you in making that call.

Years ago my father was in a similar situation, we were camped at Fort Wilderness. Not only did the manager personally deliver the message to our camper that my mom's father was in the hospital, but they did everything they could to help him book a flight home for my mom and baby sister, asap. When they found out he was staying for 2 more days with my bother and I and he had the flu on top of it all they made sure we had food (we did) and even offered to have a guest relations person take my brother and I into the MK so my dad could rest (he declined). That was 100% attention to the guest and sold our entire family on Disney for decades to come. I certainly hope they haven't lost their touch.

In your case I think (if at all possible budget-wise) I'd have upgraded the passes to non-expiring, and just use them for short trips over years to come. I realize a Disney trip is expensive as it is and you were hit with other expenses.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Sad that the Mouses heart has turned to stone. In times like this you'd think they would treat guests with the most respect, courtesy and kindness, not the run a round. Disappointing does cover it.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I am so sorry about the service you received. I hope your MIL is doing better.

It is rare to have the DP refunded. It is one of the reasons I don't recommend it to people.

Please do write to Disney, call Disney until this is resolved.

Upvote 0

LSUxStitch

Original Poster
If you had trip insurance talk with the company and you might be able to recoup some of the difference and the increase in the plane costs.

unfortunately, I bypassed the insurance plan while booking it. We only booked it a month in advance and didn't foresee anything like this happening. Thought it was a safe bet :/

Upvote 0

LSUxStitch

Original Poster
Update: I tried the option of calling billing and speaking to a guest relations person. Here's how it went.

Apparently, the dining plan is nonrefundable because we bought it at a discounted rate package through their site. There is no way to credit the room and tickets b/c "you used up half your trip already" (even though it was 2 night stay out of 6)

I was also told "you stayed 2 nights, you should expect to lose money in the deal when you check out early and do not get insurance..." Then put me on hold for a long time.

She then argued with me when she told me they put in a request for 3 night refund when it was actually 4 nights and I had to count out the day names to her...

Seems like I'm out of luck and this trip was a total waste.

From my estimate, we paid $2221.50 originally for a 6 night/7day vacation with the Dining Plan at a PO:FQ. With the refunds...we're looking at $1375 ish at the best, for a 2 night stay in Disney, but I'm thinking it'll be much higher than that once the "break the room rates away from the discount plan you purchased"

In the end with flights, I'm looking at $2275 (with our flight change fee) for 2 night stay vs 2800 for a 6 night stay.

Sadly, with this...we probably won't be able to afford to go back again this year :(

Upvote 0

smk

So sorry. I also urge you to write a letter, it cannot hurt anything at this point. I also hope your MIL is recovering well.

Upvote 0

Ariel1986

So sorry for what happened.

Please write a letter, saying exactly what you've written here- someone reading a letter with all the information and sincere dissappointment, compared to you trying to talk to someone on the phone who can interrupt/argue your point could make a lot of difference.

They may not want to refund you now-but they'll want you to come back- and perhaps reading a letter stating such a disappointment in the company vs a customer ringing for a refund (not that you didn't have any right to ring them after what happened) may bring better results?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm so sorry this happened. As others said, I suggest writing a letter and asking if a greater refund cannot be given, due to the special circumstances involved. I also pray that your mother-in-law is recovering.

In the future I would suggest purchasing vacation insurance for the non-refundable portions of your trip. We do it every time. We've found the best rate for the kind of insurance we want (one with a broad range of reasons for cancelling the trip) is from a company called TravelGuard, which was recommended to us by a travel agent. The cost of insuring the non-refundable portions of our upcoming vacation ($3,600 in room costs - nonrefundable because it's a DVC points rental - and $1,100 in DDP, for a total of $4,700) was about $250, and covers cancellation for a host of reasons, including weather-based cancellations and the illness or death of anyone in the traveling party or their immediate family. It was well worth it just for the peace of mind.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I'm so sorry this happened. As others said, I suggest writing a letter and asking if a greater refund cannot be given, due to the special circumstances involved. I also pray that your mother-in-law is recovering.

In the future I would suggest purchasing vacation insurance for the non-refundable portions of your trip. We do it every time. We've found the best rate for the kind of insurance we want (one with a broad range of reasons for cancelling the trip) is from a company called TravelGuard, which was recommended to us by a travel agent. The cost of insuring the non-refundable portions of our upcoming vacation ($3,600 in room costs - nonrefundable because it's a DVC points rental - and $1,100 in DDP, for a total of $4,700) was about $250, and covers cancellation for a host of reasons, including weather-based cancellations and the illness or death of anyone in the traveling party or their immediate family. It was well worth it just for the peace of mind.
Just read the fine print on the insurance as some do not include "trip interruption" which means once you are onsite for a certain amount of time, you may only get a fraction of a refund or nothing at all just as Disney is offering. Some are better than others.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Just read the fine print on the insurance as some do not include "trip interruption" which means once you are onsite for a certain amount of time, you may only get a fraction of a refund or nothing at all just as Disney is offering. Some are better than others.

Excellent point. One must always read the fine print!

I just checked our policy (Travel Guard's "Silver" policy) and for the record, it covers up to 100% of the insured trip cost in the event of "trip interruption" caused by (among other things) weather-related transportation delays, termination from employment, natural disaster, illness or death of a traveling party member, or illness or death of a family member (defined as a spouse, partner, parent, step-parent, in-law, child, grandchild, brother/BIL, sister/SIL, aunt, uncle, neice or nephew). (*Note: I do not work for Travel Guard and have no stake in their success. I have never had to make a claim under a Travel Guard policy so I can't attest to how well they respond. I can say that I'm happy with the coverage their policies offer, with how well-written the policies are -- in a manner that is legally sound and thorough, but easily understood by a layperson, with their reasonable cost, and the frequent and professional communication they've had with me -- e.g., we get monthly e-mails with travel advice.)

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

unfortunately, I bypassed the insurance plan while booking it. We only booked it a month in advance and didn't foresee anything like this happening. Thought it was a safe bet :/
Circumstances like yours are exactly what trip insurance is for. You chose to not take it. So sorry about what happened, but you called it a rip off in the original post. If anyone could foresee things like this there would be no need or such thing as trip insurance. I'm not seeing the rip off.

Upvote 0

kasey1988

Circumstances like yours are exactly what trip insurance is for. You chose to not take it. So sorry about what happened, but you called it a rip off in the original post. If anyone could foresee things like this there would be no need or such thing as trip insurance. I'm not seeing the rip off.
I agree, I am very sorry for the interruption in your trip and hope your mil is feeling better, but that is what trip insurance is for.. It would be wonderful if disney compensates you, but you are not entitled to a refund of any part of your package.. I personally would be happy with anything they would offer in your situation, certainly not consider it a rip off..

Upvote 0

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am truly sorry your DMIL was taken Ill, But this shows where Disney's true priorities lie, Disney USED to be about creating the best vacation possible. Now its how much money can Disney squeeze out of a guest.

No question trip insurance is a good idea however in the past Disney would have been much more accomodating, NO sane individual is going to take the hit for the change fees and fare increases unless it was a TRUE emergency and in the past Disney would have and DID pro-rate the vacation in these cases including 'non-refundable' items mainly because they wanted you to COME BACK to WDW.

At Today's Disney it's we have your money we don't care about anything else because having your money now is a sure thing and you might not come back this quarter so a manager might not make his bonus target. In today's Disney it's all about the managers and their bonuses, You the guest no longer count as they figure you will come back anyway.

Once again I hope your DMIL recovers as I've been in the same place a couple of times, in my case away on business our prayers are with you.

Upvote 0

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would carpet bomb Facebook and other social media sites with your story, Also Planet Feedback you may be able to shame them into doing the right thing and Today's Disney really needs to have the luster taken off their image these days and be shown as the money grubbing scrooges they truly are at heart.

It is truly sad to see what Disney has devolved into.

Upvote 0

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Really, How about doing the RIGHT thing because its the RIGHT thing to do.

Trip insurance in many cases does NOT cover illness of family members when I was still wet behind the ears I was a Certified Property and Casualty Underwriter so I'm VERY familar with insurance. Trip insurance is more designed to protect against resorts being unavailable, transit and hotel worker strikes, Flight cancellations and other unforseen events like the fire marshall closing the resort etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom