Not Sure about Pop Century?

teacher2

This will will our third time traveling to Disney World. We love it. I am going with my husband, two kids ages 8 and 10, and their grandmother. WE have all been to Disney and have stayed at Wilderness lodge, and Boardwalk. We get two rooms and we loved it. This year we are trying to save a bit because we are going to do Universal, lego land and Disney. We were thinking of staying at Pop and doing the value route. Rent a car, for he first three days to do the other parks and then the remainder do Disney. My question for anyone that has stayed at Pop is how small is it? I heard that the rooms are very small and nowhere to put your stuff..l. Will three in one room and two in the other be cramped? Trying to save dome cash, but are used to bigger rooms. Help....

teacher2

Original Poster
by the way, off topic my avitar is from our disney cruise this past August 2012. If you all think that Disney World spoils you.... you have got to try the Disney Fantasy OMG

Upvote 0

Kev1417

My wife and I are DVC members and always stay at Boardwalk. We love it there. Last year we ran out of points and stayed at Pop for 10 days. We both said we would never stay there again, and this was in late Jan. when it was a slow time. NOT AT POP. The bus lines just to GO to a park were insane. usually had to wait at least 2-3 buses. Don't even get me started going back to the resort. Granted we don't have kids so the decor doesn't matter to us. But the walls were paper thin, and we always had people roaming around all hours of the night. Maybe it was just our experience for 10 days, but we both agreed to never go back. We admit we are spoiled staying at deluxe.

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

@teacher2 are you planning to stay at Disney and 'commute' to Universal and Legoland, or are you having a hotel in Orlando?

Last year we stayed for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn right across from Universal. It was fine, we had a lovely big room and it cost $150 for bed and breakfast for three of us for the two nights. Much cheaper than Disney and very convenient for the Orlando parks.

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I do remember the buses being a pain during our stay there. We rode them once, and then drove ourselves to the parks the rest of the time.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

We love Pop when the money is tight. Stay away when there are cheerleaders and football going on at Wide World of Sports and some tour groups staying there. You can call and ask if there are any planned during your visit.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I have stayed at several Deluxe and usually stay at the Mods now. We stayed at POP one night before our cruise and never again. The rooms are tiny and the walls paper thin. Not only that, (not to offend anyone) but it seems like a different group of people tend to stay there. We saw and heard things that I have never heard and seen before in 25+ trips. People were out to all hours of the night even with their tiny kids I am talking 2-3am drinking and being rowdy. In the morning we saw beer bottles and trash that these people left on the ground and in the bushes. I have never seen anyone dissrespect Disney property and other people like I did in that 1 night. We saw security knocking on doors, which I have also never seen at other resorts. And like I said I am working on my 27th trip staying at a WDW resort and each stay at least 6 nights each. This might not be the "normal" but it was enough to turn me off of value resorts.

Upvote 0

draybook

Anyone that says there's "nowhere to put your stuff" obviously brings all of their personal belongings with them as if they were moving. Our family of four had no problem whatsoever in a standard room there. And that was with two females, so that says a lot right there.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

We love POP Century!(as you can tell by the name) We stayed there in 09' with our 2 teenagers & infant. It was a bit cramped but, we weren't in the room much except to sleep. This past September my DH, DD4, & I had a split stay at AOA/POP & it was perfect space for the 3 of us.

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

My wife and I are DVC members and always stay at Boardwalk. We love it there. Last year we ran out of points and stayed at Pop for 10 days. We both said we would never stay there again, and this was in late Jan. when it was a slow time. NOT AT POP. The bus lines just to GO to a park were insane. usually had to wait at least 2-3 buses. Don't even get me started going back to the resort. Granted we don't have kids so the decor doesn't matter to us. But the walls were paper thin, and we always had people roaming around all hours of the night. Maybe it was just our experience for 10 days, but we both agreed to never go back. We admit we are spoiled staying at deluxe.
Agree! We liked the decor at POP; it was fun to walk around, the castmembers were wonderful...but after one visit, we said a MOD or higher from now on...too crowded, beds were too small...even our DGS wants to go back to WL.

Upvote 0

teacher2

Original Poster
For those of you who have had split visits do you have a website that you have used to plan or have you just planned through Disney ? I use smallworldvacations.com they are great, but I was wondering about any other ways to get some great deals. To stay the AOA for family of 5 in a suite, it was $450 more than two rooms at POP. Is it worth the money to go all in one room at AOA or two rooms at POP?

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
For those of you who have had split visits do you have a website that you have used to plan or have you just planned through Disney ? I use smallworldvacations.com they are great, but I was wondering about any other ways to get some great deals. To stay the AOA for family of 5 in a suite, it was $450 more than two rooms at POP. Is it worth the money to go all in one room at AOA or two rooms at POP?
My wife has always done all the planning for our trips, and for lots of other folks as well - she likes planning trips almost as much as going! AOA is new and very popular right now, so you won't see much in the way of discounts to stay there. You can generally get either a discount for the room through Disney, depending on the time of year you go, or possibly free dining as other ways to save. We have found that, overall, you generally save more going with a room discount vs free dining.

You can also look into purchasing your tickets through undercover tourist, then book the room only through disney with the discount. There are lots of ways to save, but it all depends on when you're going, and the discounts on offer at the time.

Upvote 0

Canesurfer90

Pop Century is one of my favorite resorts, the themes are awesome and the atmosphere overall is just great. The obvious cons being smaller rooms and no monorail, but if you're trying to save a buck while still wanting a Disney experience then Pop is a great route to go.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We stay primarily at Deluxes (probably 95% of the time), when we don't we stay at Pop. We like the food court and the bus service and our kids love the themeing. As long as you don't expect a deluxe I think you'd be fine. About 4 nights is my limit for staying there though.

Upvote 0

teacher2

Original Poster
I was planning on staying from August 17-25th for the cheeper rooms. I am going to do Universal for two days, and Legoland for one, then do Disney the rest. We are really just going to get up and go to a park ( universal) and come back to sleep and shower... I am not sure if we should get the meal plan anyway if going to universal and legoland ....

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

I've stayed in Pop numerous times. 2 people in a room fit no problem 4 is a little packed. 3 should be good in a room. I would look at pictures of the rooms online. The pictures like just how the rooms really look

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

I see that you are going to be staying at AOA and then at Animal kingdom. How did you book that and is Disney transferrng your stuff from one to the other.

I booked the AoA (room only) directly with Disney reservations. For the AKV stay it is with DVC. Disney will transfer the luggage from resort to resort for you, but I think we are going to take a cab to AKV.

Upvote 0

luv

My sis and I went with her boys (about the same age as yours) and had two rooms. It was still too cramped for me. Those rooms are really small and there really aren't many places to put your stuff. You cant get away from each other. The kids began getting on our nerves. It was a rather unpleasant vacation at times.

The next time, we got an offsite condo. It was less per night than two rooms at Pop and gave us so much more space. We all had a great time.

For us, space makes a HUGE difference in relaxation. You don't realize how much better a condo is until you stay in one.

For whatever it is worth, I'd go offsite if I were you.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

I planned our split stay through Disney. What about 2 rooms at AOA? The theming is great especially, if you will have little ones with you! If you don't stay at AOA, you could always stay at POP & walk over to AOA to explore & take pictures. The food court is excellent! Didn't care much for breakfast but, the Surf N' Turf burger was great & loved the gelato!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom