Not going w/ mother-in-law again

ThinkTink721

Well, this year's trip was better than last year in regards to my mother-in-law.
Last year, she was rude to a waitress & complained the entire trip about almost everything.
I was hoping that this year would be better, but that was not the case.
This year was a little better than the year before, but I think it was only because we did not see her very much.

Here's the scoop: This year, she & her hubby decided to take my niece along. My niece had never been to WDW & they figured this may be her only chance to go. After they asked her to go, all my MIL did was complain that my niece was going. She complained that she would have to do to accomodate my niece on the trip. My MIL is very close to my niece, so I thought that she would enjoy the trip more w/ her there, but that was not the case. I really felt sorry for my niece. My MIL tried to talk her out of going on rides that she wanted to go on (I think because my MIL does not ride many rides). We, my family & I, offered several times to take my niece w/ us so that she could do more. My niece only saw about 1/4 of WDW during her 11 day stay. I was heartbroken. Of course, my niece didn't know the difference. She did enjoy the pool at the resort, but they kept her in the resort room most of the time. She missed Spectromagic, Wishes, & several other big attractions. I just felt so sorry for her.

Needless to say, my mother-in-law did not book for next year.

Hey!...If you can't be happy at WDW, then you just can't be happy anywhere!

Thanks for listening!

:wave:

That's terrible. Your MIL sounds like a real piece of work.

I'm getting married in less than 2 weeks and you just reminded me how lucky I am to have a future-MIL who is the exact opposite of what you are describing.

I would advise against any future trips with her if you can avoid it. :hammer:

Upvote 0

heliumalias

Whenever I go to WDW I always think "This is the Happiest Place on Earth" unless you're with your family. This year some kid was messing around in the line to get into AK so his mum (with 2 other children and grandmother in tow) turned the whole party around and they went back to the hotel.
Personally I always have more fun there when I'm with friends rather than other family members.

Upvote 0

Jarienn

I'm so glad that my mom and husband get along really well. My mom is going with us next month on the 7 day Disney cruise, then to the parks for a few days. My mom loves WDW as much as we do and it's really nice when she goes with us because she doesn't like the thrill rides and will take our daughter to a show or on a tamer ride so we can go on the big ones.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

Sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't let it ruin your trip and she didn't book for next time. Surprising after the way you describe the first one that she went back. Hope your niece still had some fun regardless and maybe she'll get to go back someday.

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

I have never had an issue with family until we took our last trip, this past April. My Uncle was reduced to a child (and not in the good way!) within a mere second of becoming uncomfortable or being made to do something he didn't want to do...:hammer:

We laugh about it now but there is a strict punishment for anyone that mentions to him (and my poor Aunt) that we are planning a trip for May 09!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I'm so glad that my mom and husband get along really well. My mom is going with us next month on the 7 day Disney cruise, then to the parks for a few days. My mom loves WDW as much as we do and it's really nice when she goes with us because she doesn't like the thrill rides and will take our daughter to a show or on a tamer ride so we can go on the big ones.

The funny thing is, she is not usually as bad at other times, just when she's on vacation.
Maybe she just stresses too much & it's hard for her to relax & have a good time.
The stress of having a child w/ her this time may have stressed her even more.
That is why we offered to take her off their hands for a little while.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I have never had an issue with family until we took our last trip, this past April. My Uncle was reduced to a child (and not in the good way!) within a mere second of becoming uncomfortable or being made to do something he didn't want to do...:hammer:

We laugh about it now but there is a strict punishment for anyone that mentions to him (and my poor Aunt) that we are planning a trip for May 09!

Yes, I can relate.
She got angry when anyone would mention going on a ride that she did not want to go on.
She also got angry when we would leave her alone to go on a ride.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't let it ruin your trip and she didn't book for next time. Surprising after the way you describe the first one that she went back. Hope your niece still had some fun regardless and maybe she'll get to go back someday.

Hey...Maybe I should have had the front desk send her a towel animal! J/K
:lol::ROFLOL::lol:

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

The funny thing is, she is not usually as bad at other times, just when she's on vacation.
Maybe she just stresses too much & it's hard for her to relax & have a good time.
The stress of having a child w/ her this time may have stressed her even more.
That is why we offered to take her off their hands for a little while.

I think you are so right! Some people can't get used to the change of being on vacation from their everyday life and it can become really stressful.
Thank goodness that your MIL is not like that all the time! :)

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

I was lucky enough to have a MIL who loved WDW, more so while watching her 2 young at the time grandsons, we were able to have her come with us twice before she passed away. My wife still gets alittle teary eyed when we walk pass the rose gardens at EPCOT which if we let her would sit and stare at for hours, ( she was in a wheelchair because she could not walk far). But if she was not in the mood to go to a park she would stay behind at the resort while we went out, and still she had a great time by just people watching. We miss her very much, but know that she is always with us when we are there.

Upvote 0

imamouse

Sorry that your MIL behaved so selfishly. How old is your niece? Why would this be her only opportunity to go to WDW? Hopefully, she'll go back - without your MIL - and experience the magic without a cloud over everything.

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

You just described my MIL as well. She single-handedly ruined one trip to WDW and also Cancun for me. I vowed after Cancun I would never go on another vacation with her again. She complains about everything, everywhere, and is rude to wait staff. We even turned down an offer to spend 10 days in Hawaii with them for practically nothing. It just isn't worth it. Now you know what I know - just say no!

Upvote 0

kstella

I give you credit for even trying to travel with your MIL. I wouldn't even try. I've been married for 19 years and in the last 2 years I have spent about 15 minutes in my MIL's company and that suits me just fine. On the other hand, we do all kinds of things with my parents.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Sorry that your MIL behaved so selfishly. How old is your niece? Why would this be her only opportunity to go to WDW? Hopefully, she'll go back - without your MIL - and experience the magic without a cloud over everything.

She just turned 6.
Her parents are just not interested in taking her.
They are more the type to give her material things than life experiences.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
You just described my MIL as well. She single-handedly ruined one trip to WDW and also Cancun for me. I vowed after Cancun I would never go on another vacation with her again. She complains about everything, everywhere, and is rude to wait staff. We even turned down an offer to spend 10 days in Hawaii with them for practically nothing. It just isn't worth it. Now you know what I know - just say no!

Believe me, we already have.
We used to talk on the phone almost every day prior to the trip.
She has not contacted us since we left WDW.
My hubby's b-day was during our trip & she didn't even get him a gift.
My hubby is not really into gifts that much, but I think it's kind of sad that his own Mom didn't get him a little gift.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Ah, we too took my MIL to the WDW for a week. Let's put it this way, it was like having someone's 3 year old with you that you couldn't disciple! She spend the whole trip refusing to put on her glasses because she wears tri-focals and didn't want anyone to see them. So when we would point out the great Christmas decorations and other stuff it was, "I can't see it , I don't have my glasses." She obsessed over they left-over food at everyone elses table at each meal!!! When we had morning dining ressies I would telll her we have to leave the hotel at this time, she would finally come out of her room 10-15 minutes late so we would then feel rushed to make it to the park and then to the restaurant on-time. She then had the nerve to complain that we had to stand and wait for a table "after you rushed me." The final straw was the manicure kit. She had a manicure kit with her that we explained she had to pack in her checked luggage, not carry-on. DH checked with her on this the night before we left, she said "don't worry, I have it taken care of." We get to MCO and are going through security, DH is with MIL in line. MIL refuses to take off metal watch, hid it under her sleeve. (you see where this is going) I look over and see DH, DS... where in the world is MIL. Yep, you've got it TSA has her perched in a chair in the middle of this big area with an agent while another agent is tearing her carry-on apart!!! Between the metal watch and the manicure kit in the carry-on they had her. Mind you, this is in Dec 05 just 3 days after TSA had to shoot a guy at the Miami airport.
Never again will she ruin our vacation. Should have listened to DH when he asked me prior to booking, "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO TAKE MY MOTHER?"
It's a live and learn and try not to be that type of MIL myself.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

My daughter and I have our list of "banned from WDW" list. If you come with us once and complain a lot or cause us problems, you are banned.

Well, I guess not technically, you can make your own trip, but it won't be with us! :lol:

My husband is worming his way off the list, lol, he seems to have learned his lesson. We'll see how he behaves on the Thanksgiving trip! ;)

Upvote 0

kstella

I have an aunt who has said she has the perfect MIL-she lives on the other side of the world and doesn't really speak English!!!:lol:

Really-all us moms need to file all of this away and remember when we are the MIL how not to behave, although I would hope that I am e decent enough human being to not behave that way anyway.

The airport thing gets me-did she really think the TSA would just let these things slide just for her? What does she think a metal detector is for? Sounds like she likes to be the center of attention and intentionally does this stuff. Bad attention is better than no attention at all I guess!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom