Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven

To be fair, the fictional world in which the Buzz Lightyear toy exists (I mean the general toy, not the specific one we hang with in the films) seems to be set in the future. Not that this invalidates your larger point, of course!

Well if that's how we are gonna stretch it then we can expect to see an Incredibles ride ... in Adventureland? Because you know, Dash ran through a rain forest. ;)

Tom

Beta Return
I would think two boats at load, two boats at unload would be ideal for capacity.

Yeah, probably, since loading two boats simultaneously and dispatching them as a group tends to get more people into the ride in shorter intervals.

If they wanted to add length to the ride itself, they could use the old load platform as unload/load.

I, personally, would want a longer ride experience. I've always felt cheated on Maelstrom.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

To be fair, the fictional world in which the Buzz Lightyear toy exists (I mean the general toy, not the specific one we hang with in the films) seems to be set in the future.

A great point, and one that's been my defense of this ride being in Tomorrowland (specifically when you consider the "imagined sci-fi future" theme the whole land has had since the '90s), but at certain points in the ride, you could also make the argument that it's just a giant Buzz Lightyear playset. Note the giant Etch-a-Sketches, batteries, etc...

doctornick

A great point, and one that's been my defense of this ride being in Tomorrowland (specifically when you consider the "imagined sci-fi future" theme the whole land has had since the '90s), but at certain points in the ride, you could also make the argument that it's just a giant Buzz Lightyear playset. Note the giant Etch-a-Sketches, batteries, etc...

The Buzz video game shown in Toy Story 2 made it seem like the Buzz Lightyear "world" had the characters as toys because even in that, the "source of his power" for Zurg was batteries. While it was an interesting meta thing for Toy Story, it always struck me as odd. The Buzz rides just continue that concept.

Skippy

would a five year old who's excited to meet her heroine be bothered if it's in a castle she doesn't recognise or in a restaurant on stilts?

As much as I'd hate Odyssey to become a kid fest instead of its designed intent, at least it'd be open to normal guests again.
While I agree with the sentiment behind 'at least Odyssey is being used' - I wholeheartedly disagree with your logic, and it is a slippery slope to start applying it to projects. Would a five year old care that Norway is now Arendelle? Would a five year old prefer WS be fantasyland 2?

Designing parks with only the youngest demographic in mind will turn WDW into a place I would not bother to visit.

NiarrNDisney

aladdin2007, post: 6628940, member: 44332"]but the viking ship boats arent returning are they? I thought I had read that,,someone had said awhile back now they would just be standard boats like in pirates. hopefully not as that just sounds bleh.

I don't think they're returning. They were last seen heading down the highway just a few days after Maelstrom closed....

View attachment 88955[/QUOTE]

Sooo! Will this still be a water/boat ride? Or will it be change completely with a different ride system? If it was to be something like PPF or HM then yes I could see there being a longer ride with tons of show scenes to tell the whole story.

Slowjack

Wait, I'm just going to tombstone this post. I forgot this was a construction-only thread...I don't want to become Cap'n Hijack.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think they're returning. They were last seen heading down the highway just a few days after Maelstrom closed....

View attachment 88955

Sooo! Will this still be a water/boat ride? Or will it be change completely with a different ride system? If it was to be something like PPF or HM then yes I could see there being a longer ride with tons of show scenes to tell the whole story.

There is no indication that the ride system will be changed.

Dgeek

There were posts in another thread that showed with pictures that the insides of the old Maelstrom was gutted and all of the old boats were removed. So I'd think that right now We really don't know what the new ride system will be.

Reactions: Tom

ToTBellHop

Before we drift totally off topic, would a five year old who's excited to meet her heroine be bothered if it's in a castle she doesn't recognise or in a restaurant on stilts?

As much as I'd hate Odyssey to become a kid fest instead of its designed intent, at least it'd be open to normal guests again.
And it's largely has no theme, so it would arguably fit. Anything could go there, really.
There were posts in another thread that showed with pictures that the insides of the old Maelstrom was gutted and all of the old boats were removed. So I'd think that right now We really don't know what the new ride system will be.
Yes we do. With a 18-month construction table, this won't have a new ride system. The building was gutted as of January 2015. Disney's construction pace doesn't allow for a new ride system and ride experience between that point and the anticipated early 2016 opening.

andysol

Yes we do. With a 18-month construction table, this won't have a new ride system. The building was gutted as of January 2015. Disney's construction pace doesn't allow for a new ride system and ride experience between that point and the anticipated early 2016 opening.

Mr. Toads Wild ride went down in September of 1998 and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened 9 months later in June of 1999- with a different ride system.

So it's possible- but with today's Disney- unlikely.

ToTBellHop

Mr. Toads Wild ride went down in September of 1998 and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened 9 months later in June of 1999- with a different ride system.

So it's possible- but with today's Disney- unlikely.
I think a little dark ride with cut-outs and animated figures is far easier to install than a would-be E-ticket boat ride with bona fide Audio-Animatronics figures.

I didn't realize Pooh had a different track layout than Mr. Toad. Disney nowadays would never do that. Pooh would be forced to follow the same track as Toad with plastic hunny applied to the Mr. Toad ride vehicles! We'd also find Pooh going to hell at the end of the ride due to budget cuts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But we have had posts from people who have seen the inside and said that the flume has not been removed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One busbar to another is hardly swapping out a ride system.

Remember Maelstrom was a multi level, suspended flume on stilts, interweaved on several levels and built partly above the maintainence spur. The ride itself was U shaped, in a building designed to match, with a lot of concrete and steel not only for the ride system and layout as designed but to hold the building together. Not much scope for moving things around. Or removing them.

orky8

If they move unload to the load platform, they can gain a scene or two at the end as well.

Or, perhaps they can move both load/unload over to the old unload platform area. Makes sense if the theater area is going to be the queue and the old unload area I think has enough space to house separate load/unload gates.

Cmdr_Crimson

Remember Maelstrom was a multi level, suspended flume on stilts, interweaved on several levels and built partly above the maintainence spur. The ride itself was U shaped, in a building designed to match, with a lot of concrete and steel not only for the ride system and layout as designed but to hold the building together. Not much scope for moving things around. Or removing them.

I'm curious do you happen to know what we are looking at during the construction of Malestrom that was on the Disney Parks Blog awhile ago? Is that queue area below and the theater to the left?
nor338956LARGE.jpg

doctornick

With the goal apparently being to minimize construction costs -- why else replace and reuse Maelstrom rather than build a new ride? -- it seems unlikely they'd replace the ride mechanism. I think it's plausible that they could try to modify the path to remove the backwards section by adding turnarounds at those locations (if there is room) but even that adds to the cost but that would be the limit of any "changing the ride mechanics" that we would see. As others have mentioned, it seems the plan is to use the old unload area as both unload and load (allowing the theater to be part of a larger queue) which allows for some additional show space, particularly were the old queue was.

Martin: Is there any space to "round off" the direction changing areas to allow for forward motion the entire time? More to the point, is the proposed idea from this blog even possible? The second directional shift (at the waterfall) seems particularly tight, so I assume they are keeping the layout with a backwards portion. I think this provides some storytelling challenges, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom