Non disney days

Figgy1

Premium Member
Welcome. We always find so much to do we've never done that. Although I'm hoping to change that next trip. There's DTD (Disney springs), Kennedy Space Center, outlet malls. We used to rent a house and spent so little time there we downsized to a condo. On our trip this summer we finally will have a pool day. At least I hope we do LOL

Tinkerkelle

We just want to get as much of the parks as possible, but you do need a little down time and some half days, as suggested by @CAPTAIN HOOK are good. We are from the UK so do 14 days. During our week in Disney, we start with full days in each park then do some half days. We get the benefit of quiet early mornings in the park then use the resort pool, go to Disney Springs, resort hop - more leisurely stuff but in the Disney bubble because it's a BIG bubble!!
Our week at Universal is when we venture outwith the theme park bubble, usually after a morning at the parks. The outlet malls are great if you like browsing for bargains and they have discount disney stores. We had tickets to the orlando eye but it was not operating the day we went but madam tussauds was fun - lots of silly photo ops - and the sea life centre was enjoyable.

Stellajack

Premium Member
We do part of the day at the pool, then down the Sassagoula to Disney Springs (formerly known as Downtown Disney o_O) for shopping and sometimes a different resort restaurant in the evening.

nighttowll

We don't usually get much of a chance to lay by the pool. Normally, I plan a trip and plan in breaks. Then someone comes behind me and is like, "Ohh, free time to fit in this and this and this..." And, there go my rest breaks.

I'm usually lucky if I'm able to schedule in a few hours at the pool per trip.

The general consensus most of my family and friends share is that we spend all this money on transportation and lodging, so we should keep busy and get our money's worth since we have already spent the money whether we do 1 thing or 10 things.

However, we did do a very relaxed trip last fall with lots of time spent sleeping in, watching movies, playing games and working puzzles. I had wanted to spend some time just relaxing by the pool as well, but I couldn't get the heat on the pool to work, so we mainly stayed inside. Honestly, I think I prefer our normal go til you drop trips. I just kept thinking about all the things we could be doing and though we were having fun, I kind of felt like we were wasting valuable time on activities we could do at home anytime.

Some things we do when not visiting Disney Parks:

Explore the different resorts - Watch EWP, Hidden Mickey contest, see the geyser, photo ops at AoA, animal viewing at AK, fun resort restaurants, activities at the campgrounds, ride the monorail, view Xmas decorations

Explore our resort - resort community hall, offered activities, games, and crafts, swim in the pool, movie pizza parties in the room for movies that go along with a ride (ToT, HM, character movies, SFR, etc.), in room Disney themed board games and card games.

Shopping at the resorts, outlets, Disney Springs (DTD), Citi Walk, target, Walmart, Publix

Also in between shopping at DS / DTD - Play in the Lego Store, fountains, or Trex sandbox and watch street performers and musicians.

Eating out - favorite restaurants we don't have at home, special themed restaurants, or dinner shows

Go to the movies

Play Mini Golf

Day trips to other cities nearby like Tampa or the beach

Visit non Disney parks - Sea World, Universal

Waterparks

Somethings I've been trying to fit and haven't yet:

Kennedy Space Center
Airboat Tour
Citris Grove Tour / Visit
Discovery Cove
Florida Mall
Crayola Experience
Weeki Wachee Springs
Seeing the manatees at the power plant
Pier 60 Clearwater
Cirque du Soleil
Blueman Group
Hot air balloon ride

minnie2000

We hardly ever do full days at the parks.

We are from the UK and usually go for 2 weeks. Because of the time difference, we are awake really early the first week, so we go to the parks early and leave by about 2 or 3. We usually spend time at the pool. We really love relaxing by the pool - it's as much a part of the holiday as the parks are! For the second week, we get up later and go to the parks in the afternoon and spend the evenings there.

Sometimes we do something different, we went to the Kennedy Space Centre a few years ago, now and again we'll go to a beach, and the DC like to go shopping.

We prefer to take it easy. If we go to a park, we do our three fast pass rides, maybe a few other rides in-between, and maybe a meal. Then we leave and go and relax. We find that we enjoy the holiday much more that way.

Rebel_

Our family LOVES Gatorland and Holyland Experience. Obviously the latter markets to a specific crowd, but the former is nothing but Floridian-Fun! You can pick up discount tickets through Undercover Tourist.

Last year my family did the zip-lining over the alligators. I did not try it, but my husband and kids had a great time.
We aren't big shoppers, but we do like Downtown Disney for a few hours each trip.

We do like to spend at least a half-day at our pools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom