No walking trail between AK Lodge and AK. Why?

Prof Ecks

Original Poster
One of the things we have enjoyed doing when staying at the Boardwalk or the Yacht Club is walking to EPCOT, but also walking along the water to DHS. I was wondering why there is no walking path between the AK Lodge and the AK park. You would think that would be the perfect place to have a walking trail and it would probably be almost as fast to walk as to wait for a bus, load, travel and unload. Any idea why there is no walk way between the resort and the park?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It would be almost a mile by the shortest possible route and would require re-routing the bus access and crossing at least one roadway. There would also be security issues having a trail that length through a wooded area. Avoiding the wooded areas would mean basically a sidewalk and WDW doesn't have sidewalks anywhere beside main roads.

The attached shows the terrain, it really isn't conducive to a walking path.

Computer Magic

I do think AKL needs something more the just buses. I'm not sure about the walking path. I would like to see a boat trip, although I'm sure costly.

Monty: How would that be any different then the walk to Boardwalk to DHS or WL to FW? i think the walk from Boardwalk to DHS is about 2 miles

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think it would make more sense for Disney to have a rear entrance into the park for the DAK guests. I believe that it is in close proximity to Camp Minnie Mickey. They could just have a small gate, something along the lines of the International Gateway in World Showcase at Epcot.

brent2124

I think a boat trip would probably cost more than extending the monorail. There is no place to put a boat route either.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I do think AKL needs something more the just buses. I'm not sure about the walking path. I would like to see a boat trip, although I'm sure costly.

Monty: How would that be any different then the walk to Boardwalk to DHS or WL to FW? i think the walk from Boardwalk to DHS is about 2 miles
Boardwalk to DHS is approx 0.6 miles. But the whole path is beside the waterway and easily visible, someone assaulting a pedestrian would run a greater risk of being spotted. None of the route goes alone a main road either. A path from DAKL to DAK would have to either cut through some major wooded areas [and current Savannah] or follow fairly high-traffic roads.

I used Google earth to measure the track on the attached, it came to 0.57 miles.

EDIT: I measured from the International Gateway at EPCOT to the gate of DHS - almost exactly 1 mile.

PLeyava

I've heard rumors from some Transportation CM's of a possible rebuild of the entire monorail system, new cars and track, which would connect all theme parks.

IF that is even true, that wouldn't be for a long time.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've heard rumors from some Transportation CM's of a possible rebuild of the entire monorail system, new cars and track, which would connect all theme parks.

IF that is even true, that wouldn't be for a long time.
Never listen to Transportation CMs! They are seemingly the most imaginative and least informed of all CMs! :lol:

Computer Magic

Boardwalk to DHS is approx 0.6 miles. But the whole path is beside the waterway and easily visible, someone assaulting a pedestrian would run a greater risk of being spotted. None of the route goes alone a main road either. A path from DAKL to DAK would have to either cut through some major wooded areas [and current Savannah] or follow fairly high-traffic roads.

I used Google earth to measure the track on the attached, it came to 0.57 miles.

EDIT: I measured from the International Gateway at EPCOT to the gate of DHS - almost exactly 1 mile.
Beach Club to DHS is 1.6 miles according to a Disney map. Maybe the differnce is the many turns. Walking this trial, it is well lite but secluded. I heard the WL to FL is wooded but I never walked it.

Computer Magic

I think it would make more sense for Disney to have a rear entrance into the park for the DAK guests. I believe that it is in close proximity to Camp Minnie Mickey. They could just have a small gate, something along the lines of the International Gateway in World Showcase at Epcot.
I agree

Pongo

Beach Club to DHS is 1.6 miles according to a Disney map. Maybe the differnce is the many turns. Walking this trial, it is well lite but secluded. I heard the WL to FL is wooded but I never walked it.

The path from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness is entirely along a road.

WDWRLD

Its not that Disney dosent want you walking to AK but they dont want the animals walking to AKL.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Rob562

yeah from one of the hotels to DHS is def longer then .6 miles, i walked around the boardwalk, went to the international gateway and back, then to DHS and took the bus from there back to POP

As MontyMon said, the shortest walking distance from the IG to the Studios gate is just over 1 mile (via the Boardwalk's pool area):
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1604190

The longer route via the Yacht & Beach Clubs is 1.37 miles.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1604194

As for AKL transportation, I admit that a dedicated boat along a newly-built canal would be nice, or some other form of transportation, especially with the added units of the Villas, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

-Rob

Kamikaze

So, a mile is a long walk today? Wow. :veryconfu

I don't think anyone said that.

The only easy path would be from by the pool over to the road, then along the road up to the park. It would basically be 1 mile long, but you're only walking along the road. No scenic path.
And the new construction for AKV would have to come all the way over to the old site of AKL to get to that area.

goodtimes5286

I don't think anyone said that.

The only easy path would be from by the pool over to the road, then along the road up to the park. It would basically be 1 mile long, but you're only walking along the road. No scenic path.
And the new construction for AKV would have to come all the way over to the old site of AKL to get to that area.

I dont think it needs to be scenic, just something to warm up your legs in the morning or to walk off that 2000 calorie breakfast. I know for me I love running, but no one does that anymore :(

I still remember running from the last parking lot at DHS to the gate just because I had to drop a duce soooo badly, I couldnt even wait for that tram

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom