No posts for today's price increases?

seascape

Its expected here that there is no criticism of Universals price increase but you know there will be pages and pages complaining when Disney raises their price. The big issue should be a $25.00 increase in the 2 day park to park ticket. That is 13%. Come on 13% in a time of negative intrest rates and no inflation? Also Universal just raised food prices. So when Disney does the same but at a lower percentage there should be no complaints.

danpam1024

Its expected here that there is no criticism of Universals price increase but you know there will be pages and pages complaining when Disney raises their price. The big issue should be a $25.00 increase in the 2 day park to park ticket. That is 13%. Come on 13% in a time of negative intrest rates and no inflation? Also Universal just raised food prices. So when Disney does the same but at a lower percentage there should be no complaints.
I'm sorry, but the current state of the Disney parks, they should be lowering the prices. Yes UOR has some closures, but DHS?!?!? They should just close it until it's done! Epcot is the most antiquated "experimental prototype community of tomorrow" I have ever seen.
Diagon Alley alone is worth the 13% p2p increase. I looked at the price for a WDW annual pass with no blackouts the other day and nearly spit out my drink (we dumped our WDW passes in 2011)- $691 for AT BEST is 2 complete parks! Talk about ridiculous prices!!!!

That said, I got ANOTHER survey about different ticket options for UOR- i was the most confusing survey I have ever done. ALL the parks need to stop trying to screw us at the gate for goodness sake! We pay enough for food, drinks, souvenirs, and hotels stay to turn a hefty profit.

seascape

I'm sorry, but the current state of the Disney parks, they should be lowering the prices. Yes UOR has some closures, but DHS?!?!? They should just close it until it's done! Epcot is the most antiquated "experimental prototype community of tomorrow" I have ever seen.
Diagon Alley alone is worth the 13% p2p increase. I looked at the price for a WDW annual pass with no blackouts the other day and nearly spit out my drink (we dumped our WDW passes in 2011)- $691 for AT BEST is 2 complete parks! Talk about ridiculous prices!!!!

That said, I got ANOTHER survey about different ticket options for UOR- i was the most confusing survey I have ever done. ALL the parks need to stop trying to screw us at the gate for goodness sake! We pay enough for food, drinks, souvenirs, and hotels stay to turn a hefty profit.
I agree with you that Disney is way too expensive. I just renewed my annual pass for $619 each for my wife and I. I know that I now get photo pass downloads and that actually saves me hundreds of dollars a year since I always seemed to but the photo pass twice a year. Anyway, since we go three times a year for over 20 days it works out to $21.00 a day for each of us. Now compared to our Six Flags Annual pass with meal plan we pay almost 1/2 at Six Flags what we pay Disney just for tickets. BTW Six Flags does have good salads and includes drinks as well. Add our DVC dues and food and you can be sure we pay Disney many thousands more. However, that does not mean either Disney or Universal should raise prices double digits. I can accept an increase and if you get something extra for it, it helps but I know not everyone uses Disney photo pass and it actually costs them next to nothing to give it so while it is nice for me I know its not worth the extra couple of hundred dollars a year. Based on the fact that there is no inflation and negative interest rates, ticket prices should not have been raised more than 3% across the board and so the 2 day park to park ticket should only be $200 not $224.99. That is a rip off and everyone here should know that and be upset and if Disney raised its 3 and or 4 day tickets the same rate as Universal you can be sure I will complain about that also. 3% is understandable but no more than that.

epeterson

Business wise I'm not sure if Universal should be price matching Disney since it's a big compliant about Disney. They have non stop new stuff coming along but it seems it would be a wiser move to get the customers first then over charge? Not sure what I would do if I was in the position to set prices? Universal is on a run but part of their run is being a Disney add on so to speak. WDW owns the long vacation people with Universal being a day or two trip while staying at WDW. Personally I would say get the people in the door to show them there is something top notched other then Disney in Orlando, keep building and once you plateau then start fooling around with maxing the prices. I know everyone isn't staying at WDW and going to Universal but I saw many magic bands when I was at Universal so ....

I understand the other side, people are piling in and we're filling every room we build so press the prices. Only problem is if you have a grand plan of millions more people coming to your parks you probably want to get the millions of new people before you profit maximize them. To Joe Blow in Ohio you don't want to look like a small Disney, same high prices but smaller and less options then Disney. I say that from talking to parents who say they will never be back to WDW. High prices to be cattle seems to be their problem with WDW.

I have to agree with this. If Universal wants to truly beat Disney World it has to be both a better park (which it already is) but also a cheaper alternative. Disney has been over the past couple years making itself the premier destination for upper middle class families whom will pay more for the overall experience than for actual attractions/activities. If Universal appeals to middle to lower class with lower ticket/food prices, it can steal away that market.

The last time I went to Walt Disney World all I could think of was how much I had paid to go into such underwhelming parks. Epcot is a giant store with outdated visions of the future. Hollywood Studios has nothing in it. Animal Kingdom is cute, but is just a really nice zoo. Magic Kingdom is really the only park with any value, but even then its waaaay too crowded for the level of attractions. I then went to Universal Studios and was blown away by the amount of amazing, fun things to do, and I spent less overall then at Disney World. Universal suffers from the perception of having less to do because it only has 2 parks, when in reality it has far more to do than Disney's 4. But it has to get people in the door first to convince them of that, and they can do that by having lower ticket prices.

JoeCamel

There is such a thing in business as perceived value. Disney has marketed as a unique experience for years and sometimes delivered and sometimes not but they ALWAYS charged top dollar for the perceived value.

Universal is doing the same and in my opinion they are delivering at this time. Giving me a new E ticket EVERY year? How is that not worth 10 - 15%?

If they cut prices the perceived value would go away and then they would suffer to get it back.

Y'all don't want to hear this but unless attendance drops they will raise prices every year - its a business after all and their first loyalty is to the stockholders that gave them the money to use for that business not to the people coming through the front gate.

I am plenty happy with what my AP costs, if you pay gate prices you are a rube.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

One resort continually adds value. The other closes massive chunks of their parks at once.

danpam1024

I have to agree with this. If Universal wants to truly beat Disney World it has to be both a better park (which it already is) but also a cheaper alternative. Disney has been over the past couple years making itself the premier destination for upper middle class families whom will pay more for the overall experience than for actual attractions/activities. If Universal appeals to middle to lower class with lower ticket/food prices, it can steal away that market.

The last time I went to Walt Disney World all I could think of was how much I had paid to go into such underwhelming parks. Epcot is a giant store with outdated visions of the future. Hollywood Studios has nothing in it. Animal Kingdom is cute, but is just a really nice zoo. Magic Kingdom is really the only park with any value, but even then its waaaay too crowded for the level of attractions. I then went to Universal Studios and was blown away by the amount of amazing, fun things to do, and I spent less overall then at Disney World. Universal suffers from the perception of having less to do because it only has 2 parks, when in reality it has far more to do than Disney's 4. But it has to get people in the door first to convince them of that, and they can do that by having lower ticket prices.
in the 90's and 2000's, Disney used to be a great value for middle class, and it quite honestly kept us going back year after year spending around $10k annually on a wdw vacation. It would cost DOUBLE that for what we used to do, and as others said inflation hasn't been THAT much. WDW doesn't want return guests, they want to squeeze every dime they can out of the people who have money to throw away on a mediocre brand. UOR doesn't need to be "second". They do offer value to people of every socioeconomic class, something WDW no longer feels necessary to do. People are opening their eyes to what's outside the "World".

cheezbat

I get they think they can price match Magic Kingdom, but I think this year it's a big mistake. While IOA is becoming a more complete park, USF is down two attractions. I could justify the price increase next year, but this year it's kind of a slap in the face.

disneyflush

If my family has it set in our minds that we are going to do a theme park vacation this year and we have a week to do it then we are going to either WDW or UOR just because of comfort level and scale of activities over that many days. The price increase, while extremely annoying when I read about it, just isn't enough to change our vacation destination. That said, I can sleep much easier at night knowing I will be giving my money to the company that is providing new experiences on an annual basis rather than the one that has such a long development/construction window to provide those same things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom