no news is just NO NEWS..

bjlc57

Original Poster
the mine ride has been open for my last two visits.. in fact I wrote about it the day it opened to the public. fyi.

lazyboy97o

You're making my case. They never should have announced it if they weren't ready to move on it any time soon. My hunch is that they just wanted to milk it so their fans could be anticipating something new. I just think they slow walk this stuff to get as much sizzle as possible before actually having to deliver.
It was announced so early to try and save face after the success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

lazyboy97o

Oh I'm not arguing against you, more just answering the question "And I wonder why Disney announced Avatarland so long before actually working on it?" They announced they were partnering with James Cameron. Whereas they should have waited until they were about to start demolition on Camp Minnie-Mickey and then announce what they are doing. But maybe they were worried that James Cameron would leak the plans, or someone on his team.
Remember that the initial announcement was a partnership to develop Avatar lands, not just a single land.

Jon81uk

the mine ride has been open for my last two visits.. in fact I wrote about it the day it opened to the public. fyi.

It opened May 2014, which is just less than two and a half years ago. So when you said in your opening post your last visit was more than two and a half years ago, you lied?

If you have been in the last two years then just wait two years, Toy Story and Avatar will open as well as Jimmy Fallon and Fast & Furious at Universal.

I don't think it is worth going to the Florida parks more often than every 3-4 years as it gets repetititve otherwise.

drizgirl

It was announced so early to try and save face after the success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

There you go. They got caught with their pants down and needed to put something out there. They should have had something further along in the pipeline and didn't.

brb1006

New attractions in the last two and a half years

Seven Dwarves Mine Train
Frozen Sing-a-long
Frozen Ever After
Star Wars Launch Bay (incl 2x meet & greets)
Olaf meet
Baymax meet
Joy & Sadness meet
Mickey's Friendship Faire
Storm Troopers March
Star Wars (or Jingle Bells/Bam) night time spectacular
Festival of Fantasy Parade
Disney Springs
and a few other bits and pieces.

Yes a lot are meet and greets, but there have been several new things.
Coming 2016
Once Upon a Time projection show
Rivers of Light

Coming 2017

Coming 2018ish
Toy Story Land (2x attractions)

Coming 2020 (or earlier)
Star Wars Land (2x attractions plus restaurants etc)

Also there will be something at Epcot in that time frame and probably other new things.

Combine your Disney visit with a Universal visit and you will also have Diagon Alley and Kong; Skull Island that are both new in the last few years. Then in 2017 you have Race Through New York and in 2018 Fast & Furious. Go to SeaWorld and you have Mako too.
And why haven't Judy and Nick from Zootopia became meetable at WDW?

RRDallas

It would be safe to say that two of the people on this post are simply on it to rant and complain. You cant fix everyone's issues and negativity no matter how nice and helpful you try to be. I go to Disney every year and even with the lack of "new and exciting elements" I still seem to have an amazing time...maybe that's just me, myself, and millions of others.

AndrewsJ

wow we have gone a long time with some good news from Disney.. all I am reading is how the parks are down.. and that we are closing this or that and opening nothing.. I am a year and a half from going back.. and will have been gone from the parks at least 2 and a half years and I don't see that there will be anything new with MAYBE avatar.. and Frozen.. No Toy Story land. NO STAR WARS area.. and just a whole lot of nothing.. How much longer does the small leak in the dam become a raging torrent ? Because right now ..no news is just No News.. and very few bright spots on the horizon..( Which is closed)..
No offense intended but if I felt the way you do about it then I wouldn't spend the money to go. Wait a few more years and then decide if it's worth it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Avatar problem is becuase they announced two or three years before they even started demolition on the area its going into. That was just stupid PR on Disney's part.

and almost every new ride at every theme park is a replacement for something.

I think there has been a slight gain in meet & greets at Hollywood Studios at the moment though. Yes two attractions closed, but four replacements on their way.
The word on the street was the information had been leaked and Disney wanted to get ahead of it.

This was backed up by @marni1971 and I believe @Lee confirming they had heard the news a few days prior, but said nothing because they did not believe it.

21stamps

Out of curiosity, why are you planning a visit to a place that you are already complaining about..18 months before you even get there?

Suggestions- try a Disney cruise. Try Atlantis. Try Universal..or pick any of the other thousands of destinations that exist in this world. Sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure if you choose WDW.

For what it's worth, I was there in September 2015. There are several new things that have opened since then. We are going back next month and very excited to experience them.

Jon81uk

When did posing with characters and getting an autograph from a college student become attractions?

1988 with the opening of Mickey's Birthdayland (then toontown fair, then storybook circus). In Mickey's Birthdayland you could enter Mickey's house and then meet him.

I would say that having a permanent building with a queue was when meeting a character became an attraction.

I would agree that it has snowballed in the last 10 years with many more permanent meets being built such as Fairytale Hall and Ariel's Grotto. Fortunately they usually add additionally capacity when making a permanent new building for a meet.

I also agree that meets are not a substitute for full D or E tickets. But they are equivalent to a B ticket.

Basically they should focus on adding more big attractions, but meets are good smaller, filler items

drizgirl

Until it's done.

That's how cause and effect work.

Also, you need to learn what 'milking' something means. Just because you're impatient for the sunrise doesn't mean the earth is milking its rotational velocity.

Wow, you feel strongly about that, don't you? :rolleyes:

I'm quite fine with my use of the word. I think it perfectly fits the point I was trying to make

Raineman

It kills me how some people expect something big and new every time they visit WDW, or they feel cheated. There are locals who visit WDW every week-they are seeing the same things, riding the same rides and visiting the same attractions over and over, and most of them are fine with that. Unless you've been to WDW hundreds of times, I find it hard to believe that you've seen every last little detail and experienced everything that WDW has to offer, to the point that you are bored with what is currently there.

WEDwaydatamover

I don't think people expect something big and new every time they visit as much as they expect consistant show, quality and value that was once there and now seems hit and/or more frequently missed.

Last edited:

21stamps

I don't think people expect something big and new every time they visit as much as they expect the outstanding show, quality and value that was once there and now seems hit and/or more frequently missed.
How do you know what the quality is ONE AND A HALF YEARS before you go? If you are anticipating having a bad time or being disappointed then there is absolutely no reason to spend your money there. It doesn't make any sense.

It's one thing to complain if you actually experienced a bad time...but to plan a vacation expecting it? I don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom