no news is just NO NEWS..

bjlc57

Original Poster
wow we have gone a long time with some good news from Disney.. all I am reading is how the parks are down.. and that we are closing this or that and opening nothing.. I am a year and a half from going back.. and will have been gone from the parks at least 2 and a half years and I don't see that there will be anything new with MAYBE avatar.. and Frozen.. No Toy Story land. NO STAR WARS area.. and just a whole lot of nothing.. How much longer does the small leak in the dam become a raging torrent ? Because right now ..no news is just No News.. and very few bright spots on the horizon..( Which is closed)..

Otterhead

how the parks are down
The parks are in no way "down".
MAYBE avatar
Pandora/Avatar is scheduled to open in 2017.
and Frozen
There's Frozen stuff in every park now, I believe. Frozen Ever After is open and is terrific.
No Toy Story land. NO STAR WARS area
Construction just started on both. Shockingly, it takes a few years to design and build a massive expansion to a theme park.
horizon..( Which is closed)
You're still complaining about Horizons closing?

JohnD

wow we have gone a long time with some good news from Disney.. all I am reading is how the parks are down.. and that we are closing this or that and opening nothing.. I am a year and a half from going back.. and will have been gone from the parks at least 2 and a half years and I don't see that there will be anything new with MAYBE avatar.. and Frozen.. No Toy Story land. NO STAR WARS area.. and just a whole lot of nothing.. How much longer does the small leak in the dam become a raging torrent ? Because right now ..no news is just No News.. and very few bright spots on the horizon..( Which is closed)..

Not anymore: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...n-show-to-replace-celebrate-the-magic.921410/

Jon81uk

New attractions in the last two and a half years

Seven Dwarves Mine Train
Frozen Sing-a-long
Frozen Ever After
Star Wars Launch Bay (incl 2x meet & greets)
Olaf meet
Baymax meet
Joy & Sadness meet
Mickey's Friendship Faire
Storm Troopers March
Star Wars (or Jingle Bells/Bam) night time spectacular
Festival of Fantasy Parade
Disney Springs
and a few other bits and pieces.

Yes a lot are meet and greets, but there have been several new things.
Coming 2016
Once Upon a Time projection show
Rivers of Light

Coming 2017

Coming 2018ish
Toy Story Land (2x attractions)

Coming 2020 (or earlier)
Star Wars Land (2x attractions plus restaurants etc)

Also there will be something at Epcot in that time frame and probably other new things.

Combine your Disney visit with a Universal visit and you will also have Diagon Alley and Kong; Skull Island that are both new in the last few years. Then in 2017 you have Race Through New York and in 2018 Fast & Furious. Go to SeaWorld and you have Mako too.

Bolt

If only they were building new areas, like Pandora, Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land. Something that has new rides and things to fix a leaky dam. One can wish.

DisneyDebRob

Two words. Capital letters.

drizgirl

New attractions in the last two and a half years

Seven Dwarves Mine Train
Frozen Sing-a-long
Frozen Ever After
Star Wars Launch Bay (incl 2x meet & greets)
Olaf meet
Baymax meet
Joy & Sadness meet
Mickey's Friendship Faire
Storm Troopers March
Star Wars (or Jingle Bells/Bam) night time spectacular
Festival of Fantasy Parade
Disney Springs
and a few other bits and pieces.

Yes a lot are meet and greets, but there have been several new things.
Coming 2016
Once Upon a Time projection show
Rivers of Light

Coming 2017

Coming 2018ish
Toy Story Land (2x attractions)

Coming 2020 (or earlier)
Star Wars Land (2x attractions plus restaurants etc)

Also there will be something at Epcot in that time frame and probably other new things.

Combine your Disney visit with a Universal visit and you will also have Diagon Alley and Kong; Skull Island that are both new in the last few years. Then in 2017 you have Race Through New York and in 2018 Fast & Furious. Go to SeaWorld and you have Mako too.

Many of those are just replacements for other things that went away.

And seriously, how long do we have to hear that Avatarland is coming? How long do they get to milk that?

Otterhead

And seriously, how long do we have to hear that Avatarland is coming? How long do they get to milk that?
Well, originally they were coordinating the schedule to coincide with the new Avatar movie. That's why it's taken a bit longer than you might expect. But the new movies have been pushed out further (I think 2018 was the last I heard) so they're just going to open Pandora on time in 2017 as planned.

Jon81uk

Many of those are just replacements for other things that went away.

The Avatar problem is becuase they announced two or three years before they even started demolition on the area its going into. That was just stupid PR on Disney's part.

and almost every new ride at every theme park is a replacement for something.

I think there has been a slight gain in meet & greets at Hollywood Studios at the moment though. Yes two attractions closed, but four replacements on their way.

drizgirl

The Avatar problem is becuase they announced two or three years before they even started demolition on the area its going into. That was just stupid PR on Disney's part.

and almost every new ride at every theme park is a replacement for something.

I think there has been a slight gain in meet & greets at Hollywood Studios at the moment though. Yes two attractions closed, but four replacements on their way.

Yet those new lands are in development as a means of attracting all sorts of new visitors to the parks. If there's really only a net gain of one or two attractions, the guests still lose because waits everywhere will just go up.

And I wonder why Disney announced Avatarland so long before actually working on it? Perhaps to keep guests on the hook with "look what's coming" during that time? If Disney had a history of being able to complete anything within a reasonable length of time I might give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe there was some overriding legitimate reason for the delay. But they don't. It took them over 18 months to retheme Maelstrom.

Jon81uk

And I wonder why Disney announced Avatarland so long before actually working on it? Perhaps to keep guests on the hook with "look what's coming" during that time? If Disney had a history of being able to complete anything within a reasonable length of time I might give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe there was some overriding legitimate reason for the delay. But they don't. It took them over 18 months to retheme Maelstrom.

The first announcement was when the contract was signed with James Cameron, at that point Imagineers had barely even drawn up concepts. So it then took almost three years to design the land. Camp Minnie-Mickey closed at the beginning of January 2014, so a few months of demolition and construction started late 2014, for opening sometime in 2017.

Compare it to Diagon Alley at Universal, they announced it December 2011, Jaws closed January 2012 (so Universal didn't announce until they were ready to demolish). The land opened June 2014, so about two years construction.

Avatar will therefore be taking a year longer to construct, is this Disney being slow, or Imagineers still refining the rides or the bigger structural projects such as floating mountains? Overall though three years construction for a land of that size isn't too bad, but they could have been at least six months quicker to open early 2017.

Jon81uk

Yet those new lands are in development as a means of attracting all sorts of new visitors to the parks. If there's really only a net gain of one or two attractions, the guests still lose because waits everywhere will just go up.

That is fairly true with every single attraction addition though. Most theme parks only add one new thing a year and often it does replace something else.

drizgirl

The first announcement was when the contract was signed with James Cameron, at that point Imagineers had barely even drawn up concepts. So it then took almost three years to design the land. Camp Minnie-Mickey closed at the beginning of January 2014, so a few months of demolition and construction started late 2014, for opening sometime in 2017.

Compare it to Diagon Alley at Universal, they announced it December 2011, Jaws closed January 2012 (so Universal didn't announce until they were ready to demolish). The land opened June 2014, so about two years construction.

Avatar will therefore be taking a year longer to construct, is this Disney being slow, or Imagineers still refining the rides or the bigger structural projects such as floating mountains? Overall though three years construction for a land of that size isn't too bad, but they could have been at least six months quicker to open early 2017.

You're making my case. They never should have announced it if they weren't ready to move on it any time soon. My hunch is that they just wanted to milk it so their fans could be anticipating something new. I just think they slow walk this stuff to get as much sizzle as possible before actually having to deliver.

drizgirl

That is fairly true with every single attraction addition though. Most theme parks only add one new thing a year and often it does replace something else.

I'm not expert enough at what opens and closes at other parks to know if that's the case or not. But at some point if your goal is to grow attendance, you need more than a one to one replacement of stuff.

Jon81uk

You're making my case. They never should have announced it if they weren't ready to move on it any time soon. My hunch is that they just wanted to milk it so their fans could be anticipating something new. I just think they slow walk this stuff to get as much sizzle as possible before actually having to deliver.

Oh I'm not arguing against you, more just answering the question "And I wonder why Disney announced Avatarland so long before actually working on it?" They announced they were partnering with James Cameron. Whereas they should have waited until they were about to start demolition on Camp Minnie-Mickey and then announce what they are doing. But maybe they were worried that James Cameron would leak the plans, or someone on his team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom