No more steam trains? (rumor)

The Empress Lilly

well the partners statue won't explode on you if proper maintenance is not done... and they are the only engines in WDW that have to go through an offsite maintence and checkout schedule, if i am not mistaken
I live by the motto 'never let sober fact get in the way of a great rant'. :devilish:

Besides I am still traumatised by The Empress Lilly. The Billy Belle, like the Empress, may not be a totally, fully functioning steam train, but it sits at the right line of great themeatic attempt at one. There is a tipping point where it loses that status.

RSoxNo1

Being refurbed in Strausburg, last I heard
This guy is fixing it?
stephen-strasburg.jpg

SoupBone

I have been fearing this for years. my local six flags has a diesel train. If this actually happens I am through with Disney. Not just the parks but the whole company. It just sickens me to think they may even consider this let alone do it. Universal you are my last hope, save me. lol. I'm not kidding, at least I still have Universal and Potter that are willing to give me high quality for my Money. I have truly been dreading the thought of this for years, and knowing how TDO works I'm not surprised if it does happen. This could be the end of me vacationing at WDW it truly could. To much has been lost already for me, this is the last straw.

Sorry if I got to emotional I hope others are not as upset as I am about this.

I am 100% with you on this one. I have watched them slowly alter and destroy many things I love about the parks, but this is one that I will not accept. If they take away the steam trains, I'm done as well. It may sound emotional, and to some degree that's true, but I'm not taking my money to a place that simply doesn't care anymore. Save money here, cut from there, I'm done with it honestly. People on this forum for years have been saying that the only way Disney reacts is from people not spending, and for years I've been part of the problem. If these rumors ever turn out to be true, I think it would be time to stop spending and my family simply wouldn't go to Disney parks anymore.

Some rides and attractions can be argued that nostalgia simply isn't a reason to keep it around. I'll conceded on some of those, but those steam trains are nothing but nostalgia. It's not an aging thrill ride, parade, etc. it's a living part of the parks and appeals to all of your senses (smell, visual, audio, etc.). I'll wait out this steam train rumor, but hopefully it isn't true.

Last edited:

SoupBone

I can tell you this was indeed looked at about a year ago because of concerns regarding the longevity of the current fleet (because of issues with Lilly)..

It was deemed feasible, both financially and otherwise, but more recently it's been more focus on improving maintenance and care of the existing 3 (plus lillys refurb)... and on that point.. Lilly Bell won't be gone much longer ;)

And thankfully my knee jerk reaction has been eased up. Thanks for posting this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am 100% with you on this one. I have watched them slowly alter and destroy many things I love about the parks, but this is one that I will not accept. If they take away the steam trains, I'm done as well. It may sound emotional, and to some degree that's true, but I'm not taking my money to a place that simply doesn't care anymore. Save money here, cut from there, I'm done with it honestly. People on this forum for years have been saying that the only way Disney reacts is from people not spending, and for years I've been part of the problem. If these rumors ever turn out to be true, I think it would be time to stop spending and my family simply wouldn't go to Disney parks anymore.

Some rides and attractions can be argued that nostalgia simply isn't a reason to keep it around. I'll conceded on some of those, but those steam trains are nothing but nostalgia. It's not an aging thrill ride, parade, etc. it's a living part of the parks and appeals to all of your senses (smell, visual, audio, etc.). I'll wait out this steam train rumor, but hopefully it isn't true.

Absolutely agree, The steam trains MADE small town America, More to the point steam trains were a integral part of Walt DIsney's life from his time as a candy butcher on trains to the Carollwood Pacific to the original Disneyland,

A Steam loco is almost alive, I can't describe it you can only feel it in the presence of one. and its one of the premier experiences at WDW, Take it away and why bother many regional parks have fake trains as well and they are a lot cheaper to visit.

KYWDW

There is NOTHING like a steam engine, I've built a couple small static steam engines and I have a bunch of Wilesco model steam engines even the tiny ones have that wonderful 'steam smell'
You've got that right. Here in KY we have the Belle of Louisville and L&N 152 steaming around. The sights and smells are amazing. Have you ever been to the Henry Ford museum? They have a large collection of steam engines and we'll worth the trip!

Slowjack

-- Would they replace the audio where he says "one of four gen-u-wine steam engines" with "one of four ...(long pause)... engines"?

-- More seriously, I just think of the story I read where one of the imagineers was questioning the use of authentic leather straps on the Disneyland stagecoaches, because a more modern suspension would be cheaper, and how could any guest notice the difference? To which Walt replied something along the lines of: they'll know. Maybe only subconsciously, but they'll know.

lazyboy97o

-- More seriously, I just think of the story I read where one of the imagineers was questioning the use of authentic leather straps on the Disneyland stagecoaches, because a more modern suspension would be cheaper, and how could any guest notice the difference? To which Walt replied something along the lines of: they'll know. Maybe only subconsciously, but they'll know.
Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show by John Hench. A great book.

So when I was at Disney for Christmas I had a long talk with one of the guys who worked on the Steam Engines and he told me that it was his dream ever since he was a little kid to be an operator on one of these Steam Engines. He said he started at Disney the day he graduated High School and had to start from the bottom and work his way up to get to where he is.

Hearing that they might get rid of the steam engines absolutely breaks my heart. I can't imagine what this guy might be going through.

zooey

They go to such a great length to connect Walt with the parks, his vision, Walt thought of this, wanted this, type stuff that I have a hard time believing they would do this. I'm not surprised that some exec would bring it up as a way to cut costs, but I don't think it would go through, personally. Trains and Walt are too closely related, and Disney has made sure that its fans and guests make that connection for a long time.

Langdonj

I thought about posting about a conversation I had on Jan 19th with the couple that was heading to a meeting with WDW bean counters about converting steam engines to "fake" steam engines. They were with the company that maintains the steam engines, (I don't recall the exact details of their role.) She said she would use what I said about cutting at the chore of what Walt Disney believed if they eliminate real steam engines. Haven't heard any more, but I wouldn't.

even my four year old can tell the difference between a steam whistle and a diesel horn. That whistle carries all across the Seven Seas Lagoon. The distinctive steam whistle and "chuffing" are those iconic sounds of Disney, I will be heartbroken if they disappear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom