No more McDonalds???

burninup4nick

Original Poster
Im really sorry if this has already been posted.

I heard a rumor from one of my friends that Disney was removing McDonald's from all of their parks...because they wanted to promote healthy eating in the parks.

Then I read an article on the internet a few weeks later (i tried to find the article again so I could post the link but I couldnt find it) that said Disneyland was removing all McDonald's but it mentioned nothing about WDW.

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about this.

Again Im sorry if this has already been posted.

I recently read a post on another site (sorry!:lookaroun) that DL and DCA were the only parks removing McDonald's for the time being. But rest assured that the kiosks at WDW will eventually go soon too...probably by the end of the year.

Too bad too...I liked getting that little snack in the middle of a busy day at the World.:(

Pens24

it's not right to take away mcdonalds because it's not healthy, people can choose what they want to eat and don't want to eat

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
it's not right to take away mcdonalds because it's not healthy, people can choose what they want to eat and don't want to eat
Humans can no longer be trusted to make rational decisions and therefore we have elected to defer all decision making to corporate America and to the US government.

Did you not get the memo?

:lol:

fosse76

Disney has the right to decide what and what not to serve...which trumps your right to eat whatever you want at Disney. Technically speaking, you don't have the right to eat whatever you want or drink whatever you want.

That said, it isn't as if you can't get McDonald's anywhere else in the universe. You can get McDonald's anywhere. I know I find it sad and pathetic that when people come to New York they visit restaurants such as TGI Fridays and the Olive Garden when New York has some of the finest restaurants in the world. You can find those restaurants anywhere.

slappy magoo

WDW is private property, your ability to own stock in Disney notwithstanding. They can choose what outside companies can sell stuff on their property just as much as your local mall can let one restaurant in and kick another restaurant out.

Besides, to a degree, the "McDonald's isn't healthy" shpiel is a red herring. McD's came on-property in the first place because of a long-term synergy plan between the two companies - McD's has a presence in the parks, Disney gives McD's all their kid's meal tie-in business. That deal went south, or at least it was no longer an exclusive thing. After McD's had to sell tie-in product to movies that weren't exactly doing Lion-King-esque business :) , McD's wanted to go on a movie-by-movie, pick-and-choose basis. Without as lucrative a deal between the two companies, there wasn't as much of a need for WDW to cede some of its land for them to sell fries or whatever.

I have it on semi-reaosnable authority that, when you get home from your trip to WDW, you'll still be allowed to go to your local mcDonald's & pig out. Literally. :ROFLOL:

TP2000

This had been rumored on Miceage about six months ago, and then about six weeks ago Disneyland finally issued a press release announcing the change.

All three of the McDonalds locations at Disneyland Resort were closed last Tuesday (Two in Disneyland, one in DCA). By last Thursday all of the McDonalds signage and menus had been removed from the buildings. Disneyland told the local press that they have no announcement what will open in the three old McDonalds locations, and that those three facilities will remain closed indefinitely until a new dining concept is decided on.

There has been no announcement about the Mcdonalds in WDW going away.

But then, as everyone here knows, Disneyland is a different kind of Disney park with lots of SoCal locals who visit regularly. Disneyland has to keep changing stuff up to keep the locals coming back.

WDW is a vacation destination and when people save for years to take the whole family to WDW, they really want to eat the same food they have regularly back in Ohio. :D

ejeremy98

WDW is a vacation destination and when people save for years to take the whole family to WDW, they really want to eat the same food they have regularly back in Ohio. :D

People want to go on vacation and eat the same food they normally can eat? i doubt it.

disneydiva72

Humans can no longer be trusted to make rational decisions and therefore we have elected to defer all decision making to corporate America and to the US government.

Did you not get the memo?

:lol:

AMEN! LOL!

Like as if the french fries and chicken strips they have in Disney are oh so deep friend healthy! GIve me a break! lol

I liked just grabbing fries from the McD's by Splash Mountain, sometimes Im just a "bit hungry" but not hungry enough to go get a meal and sit down, or you want something to eat on line except popcorn.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
No prob here....would be nice if it were actually replaced by a healthier quick snack stop option than just eliminated.....we aren't "lovin it" when we are at home...so not exactly a reward at WDW...basically ignore it. Always hit the Dole Whips and soft pretzels.....DH must indulge self at ice cream parlor once per trip....didn't they eliminate all trans-fats last year?

fosse76

People want to go on vacation and eat the same food they normally can eat? i doubt it.

Nope, they do. As someone who occasionally moonlights on Broadway, I can tel you the mall restaurants in Times Square (Red Lobster, TGI Fridays, O'Charley's, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees, The Olive Garden) are always packed. I know there's an Olive Garden further south in Chelsea...and everytime I walk by it seems to be empty. Tourists tend to eat at places they know...they don't think outside the box. It's no different at Disney World. If those World Showcase restaurants were spread out around Orlando as opposed to being on Disney property, I gurantee most of them would have closed years ago.

Dragonrider1227

Well, people who go to Disney don't go for new food. They go to meet Mickey Mouse and to ride POTC. No one ever plans a Disney trip thinking" I can't wait to try new foods!" XD

I don't get the big deal about Mcdonalds at Disney. Well, I can kinda understand it in the parks (Though sometimes, some french fries in the Magic Kingdom does sound like a nice idea :D) when it's out of the parks but still on property (Like in Downtown Disney or near the Pop Century Resort) then I don't see the issue. I like the familiarity of a restraunt I know in Disney World. Sometimes, I don't have the spirit (Or the money for that matter) to be experimental. It's my vaction and I want frickin' BURGER!! XD

yankspy

Nope, they do. As someone who occasionally moonlights on Broadway, I can tel you the mall restaurants in Times Square (Red Lobster, TGI Fridays, O'Charley's, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees, The Olive Garden) are always packed. I know there's an Olive Garden further south in Chelsea...and everytime I walk by it seems to be empty. Tourists tend to eat at places they know...they don't think outside the box. It's no different at Disney World. If those World Showcase restaurants were spread out around Orlando as opposed to being on Disney property, I gurantee most of them would have closed years ago.
I would say that there are still a fair number of tourists who may be a little more adventurous. I do agree that most will go with what they know, but there are still some who would venture out. Being a native New Yorker, I tend to shy away from chains because we always went to local places. I know that I am going to get a basic meal at a chain. Nothing bad, but nothing great either. As far as WS restaurants, I think Le Cellier and Chefs de France could stand on their own if they were elsewhere.
Well, people who go to Disney don't go for new food. They go to meet Mickey Mouse and to ride POTC. No one ever plans a Disney trip thinking" I can't wait to try new foods!" XD

I don't get the big deal about Mcdonalds at Disney. Well, I can kinda understand it in the parks (Though sometimes, some french fries in the Magic Kingdom does sound like a nice idea :D) when it's out of the parks but still on property (Like in Downtown Disney or near the Pop Century Resort) then I don't see the issue. I like the familiarity of a restraunt I know in Disney World. Sometimes, I don't have the spirit (Or the money for that matter) to be experimental. It's my vaction and I want frickin' BURGER!! XD
I have to respectfully disagree here. We have seen so many people here talk about the food at WDW being just as important an aspect of the trip as the rides. I am not saying that everyone feels this way, but some do.
As far as McDonald's, I do not mind the one that is near POP because it is not necessarily in the middle of any major area. It is not so much the food that I mind, it is the aesthetics. The fry cart did not bother me in Frontierland because it looked like a stagecoach. It did not scream "Golden Arches". It did not interfere with the look of Frontierland.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Disney didn't take out McD's in Disneyland because of the "health" angle. They did it because they think they can make more money in the long run with another concept.

The McD's stuff in the WDW parks may go soon, too, I would think, because the same logic likely applies. But I think the McD's in DTD and the one at the intersection of Osceloa Parkway and Buena Vista Drive are likely to remain. They seem like entirely different entities.

As for the merits of McD's at WDW, give the people what they want. And sometimes, people want what's familiar. WDW does a great job of offering variety in restaurants. Nothing wrong with offering familiarity as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom