No more incentives left for staying at Disney Hotels.

Patcheslee

Normally by this time, I'm making weekly payments on a Disney package for next year using gift cards. But dining plan, with our eating habits, always worked well, saved us money, and was more convenient. This time, I've got a package booked, but holding off on purchasing GCs and making payments. It's still a 50/50 split if the increased cost without as much convienence is worth on site.

Club Cooloholic

My last trip the Poly was really nice. We also stayed at SSR and while the room was fantastic, the grounds were less so. Saw trash, and things like and an old sock on the pathways and near the buildings. You shouldn't expect that for a place calling itself "deluxe " accommodations.

MickeyLuv'r

I'm really curious about how much this happens... people going to Orlando for WDW but going off to do other things as well. It seems like one of the many reasons given for not building a fifth park is the 'one week vacation' model... how long a family will actually visit Orlando, and with four theme parks, water parks, etc... it will fill a week for most families. There's also this cap now, when using G+, where you can't re-ride in the same day without hitting the standby line, so (perhaps) people will visit some parks two or three times during their trip just to hit their favorite attractions again. Perhaps Disney believes 'leakage' of guests to other resorts is pretty small.

Our family doesn't go every year, but when we go we stay for ten days at a time. We talk occasionally about venturing off to Universal or other places outside the bubble, but it never seems to happen.
I have done week long stays fully inside the bubble, so the idea is not foreign to me, but a week of theme parks is more than enough for me. I have done 9 days, but that was too much. My first visits to WDW were split stays though, so they have also always been normal to me.

I'm looking forward to a new Universal park to explore.

I dunno, news the past few weeks has me concerned. I'm less eager to travel than I thought I would be this summer/fall.

harryk

Come on people Disney is just doing what other amusement parks are doing(SO THEY SAY) what do you want ?
In that case I'd go to the other parks -- but why try to be one of 'those'? Disney was so much better. Follow the lesser is not as good as when the other parks were following the leader.

dmw

In the Parks
No
We just got back from a trip to Dollywood. We stayed "on site" at the Dreammore resort. With that came free parking at the resort, free transportation to/from Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country, free preferred parking at the parks as an alternative to the trolley, free limited timesaver for each person in the room ($60 value per person - at Dollywood only), free smores, movie, kids story time in the evenings.

We also opted to purchase the season pass since we have more than one trip planned. The season pass gives us 20% off all food and merchandise in both of the parks and at the resort, plus free theme park parking (when not staying at the resort), free "golden hour" to use the timesaver line for free the first hour of park open, free refillable mug good for refills all season long, 20% discount on lodging at the Dreammore, discounts to local attractions (Stampede, etc.), exclusive season passholder events, $15 discount on park tickets we can purchase for friends, and six free park tickets per season pass to bring in friends/relatives for free (with some date restrictions). And, as a veteran I was able to purchase the season passes at a discount.

** THESE ** are the types of perks I wish Disney would offer to on site guests and season passholders.

John park hopper

We just got back from a trip to Dollywood. We stayed "on site" at the Dreammore resort. With that came free parking at the resort, free transportation to/from Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country, free preferred parking at the parks as an alternative to the trolley, free limited timesaver for each person in the room ($60 value per person - at Dollywood only), free smores, movie, kids story time in the evenings.

We also opted to purchase the season pass since we have more than one trip planned. The season pass gives us 20% off all food and merchandise in both of the parks and at the resort, plus free theme park parking (when not staying at the resort), free "golden hour" to use the timesaver line for free the first hour of park open, free refillable mug good for refills all season long, 20% discount on lodging at the Dreammore, discounts to local attractions (Stampede, etc.), exclusive season passholder events, $15 discount on park tickets we can purchase for friends, and six free park tickets per season pass to bring in friends/relatives for free (with some date restrictions). And, as a veteran I was able to purchase the season passes at a discount.

** THESE ** are the types of perks I wish Disney would offer to on site guests and season passholders.

Dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
Now that Chapek is running the show

Last edited:

Lilofan

Gone is the short lived park in WDW resorts - decline housekeeping services and be rewarded with merchandise gift cards.

DisneyfanMA

they definitely should be including many perks for being on site, unless they're already near an on property attendance level they're happy with. They will only offer perks if they need to attract more guests.

For us, we wanted the sperate bedrooms, kitchen, and living space and elected for an off-property condo (2 miles) that provides us all those comforts for a family of 5. The cost to emulate that on-property were 5 fold plus. I will pay a little extra for a rental car and parking, and still come out way ahead monetarily. It is what it is.

UpAllNight

The perks involve a ‘generous’ 5.30am wake up call on vacation go jump on a packed bus to a crowded Animal Kingdom for half an hour early entry which starts at 7am. You then arrive half hour early and still find yourself still queuing 45 minutes by time you get to the ride everyone is after. Nothing wakes you up on a morning like a 45 minute queue at 7am.

You decide to park hop to Magic Kingdom, but as of the upcoming rules, can’t go because you didn’t decide 40504 days in advance you wanted to, so head back to the hotel bars, which shut at 10pm as we’re all seemingly children.

After a busy day, you get to return to your expensive resort you’ve worked hard to pay for to find your rooms haven’t been made up and you’ve got no coffee for the next mornings worth of madness. The Disney bubble.

bhg469

The perks involve a ‘generous’ 5.30am wake up call on vacation go jump on a packed bus to a crowded Animal Kingdom for half an hour early entry which starts at 7am. You then arrive half hour early and still find yourself still queuing 45 minutes by time you get to the ride everyone is after. Nothing wakes you up on a morning like a 45 minute queue at 7am.

You decide to park hop to Magic Kingdom, but as of the upcoming rules, can’t go because you didn’t decide 40504 days in advance you wanted to, so head back to the hotel bars, which shut at 10pm as we’re all seemingly children.

After a busy day, you get to return to your expensive resort you’ve worked hard to pay for to find your rooms haven’t been made up and you’ve got no coffee for the next mornings worth of madness. The Disney bubble.
No lies detected

MickeyCB

You are right. At the same time, Disney spent decades positioning and advertising itself as a "nostalgia" destination that was more than a business: it was a place that cared deeply about guests' feelings, memories, and personal experiences, and was always willing to go above-and-beyond to deliver something that exceeded expectations.

I would argue that for a very long time, such marketing was pretty accurate, and I can recall some incredible customer service interactions we had over the first 30 years of my WDW experiences that reflected that, and which built my family's trust and loyalty in the brand, and made us feel safe investing in it not just financially, but emotionally -- which was exactly what Disney wanted. Their marketing appeals went straight for the feels, and amenities were incidental:

Now, Disney has shifted to a colder, more profits-driven attitude, more typical of other American businesses in general and theme parks in particular. The problem is that it's still trying to cash in on all the nostalgia and trust it built up under the former model, while chipping relentlessly away at all the things that used to raise the guest experience so far above the norm: that's what feels so manipulative, and triggers such a deeply emotional response in devoted long-term visitors.

Yes, I know we need to "get over it," and I have, but for people who have loved WDW all their lives and invested countless amounts of time and money in it -- the kind of people who regularly visit a forum like this just to talk about a vacation destination because it means so much to them -- that can be an appreciable hurdle.

I only watched about 5 minutes of that video but had actual goose bumps because those were the feelings I used to get when planning and then enjoying our trips to Disney.
We're DVC now and go maybe once a year and I don't think it is due to familiarity that the feeling is pretty much gone but rather how it's become quite the stressor.
Several years ago I started saying Disney has become a competitive sport. And I believe that has just worsened.
For the fist time in forever, in a sad voice not happy, we're going to Aulani to use our points this year and not WDW. The mouse is still getting our money but will be getting a lot less.
(Sadly the airlines are getting the bulk of it this time)! 🤣

bhg469

seeing that resort delivery for packages is returning to DL in August, I wonder if it’s returning to WDW anytime soon. other than free resort parking, this is 1 of the perks i’ve missed as of late.
Resort parking is IMO the most egregious example of nickel and dining guests to date. It was completely unnecessary and to do it and shortly after get rid of magical express was just pathetic.

Last edited:

Ha..…you’ve had coffee issues too?
Yeah, our last trip when we had to constantly beg for necessities like coffee, towels, or other appropriate DVC room amenities, and put up with a fire alarm going off for over an hour three days in a row clinched it for us. The busses have gotten so terrible we found ourself driving to MK and AK more and more. Parks were extraordinarily dirty, and of course lines were long, but the worst part is you can tell now that no one cares at all.
And we tried…we really tried. We have always been look on the bright side type of people, very flexible, and Disney apologists / marketers for years. We were those people always telling others how awesome it was to have everything in on place and how much there was to do and how beautiful and convenient the resorts were and how nice the cast members were. But not anymore. It started to go downhill BEFORE the pandemic and we’re not seeing it look like there will be improvement anytime soon.
Over 40 years of visiting the parks 1-3 weeks a year, 7 years of DVC, decades of annual passes, we sold our DVC recently and let the passes lapse. It’s a little heart-breaking to see years of memories getting tarnished by whatever the heck is going on now so we won’t be back for awhile.

drod1985

Agree 100% IMO the parking was included in the room rate, the room rate did not go down IMO Disney is now charging double for parking.
This is the case with everything they've paywalled. Nothing was ever "free" - it was all included in the price of admission before. Thus there's less value in the standard ticket or resort stay and more cost to restore those perks/features.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom