No more Great Movie Ride?

devoy1701

Tgmr

I just asked about this in one of the MGM name change threads. Does anyone know the specifics of the MGM/Disney Licensing agreements to use MGM's Movies?

cb3k

Nothing is yet confirmed on the fate of the GMR...There have been rumors of it getting new scenes which would suggest that there are no plans on removing it. The current ride still holds true and consistent with the name of the park, but much has been discussed on possible successors to the ride. IMO no wheels are currently in motion to discontinue this attraction. However, I do feel that it will be gone within the next 3-5 years.

Beauty_Belle

While I love the GRM. It would be nice to maybe have a ride about Disney's history, much like the GRM with MGM. I would really love to see Walt Disney as an AA one day.

comics101

I sure as heck hope it doesn't go anywhere. The Great Movie Ride is Disney to me. It's just so cool seeing the interaction of the characters with the cm's, and it really is pure magic.

Animaniac93-98

The Great Movie Ride was THE attraction in the park when it opened, and I would like it to go back in that direction. Make it something truly special, and a grand tribute to older movies.

I would like new scenes, but not from newer movies. I'd rather see another musical replace Footlight Parade, like Gigi, My Fair lady (even if it's WB), Meet me in St. Louis. The Adventures of Robin Hood to replace Raiders of the Lost Ark. Forbbiden Planet instead of Alien. And mabey a new scene showing some Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff or Bela Lagousi horror movie.

GoofyMike29

5 years ago I would have agreed that the Great Movie Ride is...Great!
But, it is one of the rides that really could use a makeover and get updated. To be honest, I would not mind seeing it closed and made into something else.

I would hate to see GMR leave, but I do agree that it definitely needs a refurb. I love the movie montage at the end--"Stella!!!!" (makes me think of Elaine from Seinfeld!).

To incorporate the Hollywood vibe of the park, you couldn't really do away the ride itself. But they could update the AA's and some of the other scenes. I do like the CM interaction tho.

Eyorefan

While I love the GRM. It would be nice to maybe have a ride about Disney's history, much like the GRM with MGM. I would really love to see Walt Disney as an AA one day.

I hadn't ever really thought about that before, but what an awesome idea? And why not? Disney contributed a lot to movie and TV history. It would be nice to have ride that relects that.

animay

People always panic about GMR when there's mention of removing MGM from the park name. Most of the films represented in the ride itself are Warner Bros. films. The only ones related to MGM are Singin' in the Rain, Tarzan, and Wizard of Oz, and all of these are owned by Turner/WB. It might be closed for a variety of reasons, but it won't be because MGM is going away. They lost the rights to most of their older films many years ago.

Beauty_Belle

I hadn't ever really thought about that before, but what an awesome idea? And why not? Disney contributed a lot to movie and TV history. It would be nice to have ride that relects that.

I know they had an attraction in MGM about Walt but I think that has since been taken down (it was during the 100 years of magic). I think a ride would make it more permanent. Disney as a whole has made huge contributions to the entertainment industry.

RiversideBunny

The Great Movie Ride has to stay in the Disney Studios park.

Change some scenes, update it, whatever, but there has to be a Great Movie Ride in that park if the park is about movies.

:cool:

imagineer boy

PLEASE don't get rid of the GMR. Its one of my most favourite rides at WDW. If they got rid of it, MGM would completely lose its soul.

MuRkErY

Yay.

GMR is the soul of MGM or DHS now... lol.

GMR is the ride that encapsualtes MGM in the same way SSE does EPCOT.

I'd love too see a good refurb of it though, maybe replace the Tarzan scene with something from another classic film.

JLW11Hi

It is true that most of the movies in the GMR are not MGM films. But now would be a perfect time to do a major update of the centerpiece attraction with the name change. I am hoping for full makeovers of the older attractions in the park, similar to what Epcot has been getting for some time now. The backstage tour, the GMR, and Indiana Jones (basically the attractions that have been around since the place opened) could all use major overhauls. I love the GMR, but I think that as a major attraction in such a prime location, it could be updated to please a larger demographic of people.

Its funny, I doubt that Disney ever really needed or made good use of the library of films that MGM gave them the rights to use when the place opened. They might as well have never called themselves Disney/MGM Studios. My guess is that when they opened, in the 80s, Disney wasn't identified with live action films as much as a big, historic studio like MGM did. Eisner probably figured that putting MGM in the park name would hint that the shows and attractions wouldn't just be centered around Disney cartoons.

Passport

I sure as heck hope it doesn't go anywhere. The Great Movie Ride is Disney to me. It's just so cool seeing the interaction of the characters with the cm's, and it really is pure magic.

I agree with keeping the ride. But a little updating of the movies once in awhile would also be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom