No More ESPN Weekends

I-4Warrior

Well, a 6 year tradition for us is gone. And really, what the heck is the point of it's discontinuation? Was it not bringing in enough guests? Always seemed mobbed to me. Gone also, one would assume, is the 5k. Very sad... A special event we always looked forward to. One more thing Disney takes away without giving anything back. Maybe they'll replace it with another hard-ticket event to squeeze more cash out of everybody.

bjlc57

okay.. what's the butchers count now.. Raise price , EARLY.. limit monorail, Dump Espn the weekend.. and there was something else in the past few weeks..

who has those photos of the abandoned Park that resembles Disney World.. because its time to start comparing how this looks now.. and how its going to look in the "future"..

because this is ALL BEAN COUNTING.. and it IS THE SIGN OF THE BEGINNING OF THE END..

bjlc57

Oh yeah.. the cut back on the Drinks.. Yep.. this is real progress.. if you want people to go some where else.. or start saying ..Remember when?...

You just keep taking the little stuff.. Stuff that made the parks' "special" and see what happens..

all the perks.. the count on's.. the bitty things that separate Disney from anyone else..

and slowly.. watch you start to lose.. so you "raise price again".. now the laws of economics are at hand.. the more you raise price, the less people come.. and it gets in to a nasty circle.. one that management doesn't know how to break..

and then you sell.. and its now really all over.. because the new owner never had the time invested that you did.. or the heart..

and that's what's being ripped into right now.. the heart.. a little bit at a time..

I-4Warrior

Knowing how busy that DHS gets for the Weekend and how much collectibles dealers depend on the event, I wonder how many people already booked a trip for next year's now-dead event. Not that Disney cares.

And for those who are so brash in their happiness that this event is gone? Just wait, because the executioner with the shiny axe and the black hood with mouse ears on it has plenty more swinging to do. Hopefully nothing you enjoy ends up with it's head on the block.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
How long until they announce that, due to guest feedback, they're now introducing a hard-ticketed, "Super Sports Night" party?

hrcollectibles

I will miss ESPN the Weekend. It would have been nice had they handled it like Star Wars Weekends, where there would be Fastpasses to obtain autographs from athletes. Let's hope Star Wars Weekends isn't next.

liloohana

Bad news and bad timing!! We bought our annual pass this year with three trips in mind.....went in March...leaving in one hour for our summer trip...and next March for ESPN weekend....our 15 year old son has been wanting to go for years. We are going to tie it in to spring training and a chance to see the Phils early (GO PHILS!!)...
I am truly bummed out for my son and all the other sports fans out there that got to enjoy two things at once.
Does anyone know if they took the dates off the calender?
I know it was scheduled March 2-4.
I read all these posts and feel so afraid that my children will never be able to share Disney magic with their kids....I hope it's not all about budget cuts and profit...I've noticed our trips getting less "magical" over the years, but I assumed it was my children getting older (no more It's a Small World or princess meals for us)...I'm going to try to look really hard for the magic this week!! Nowadays, teenagers need it more then ever!!

Monsterfan99

Moronic move by Disney here. It was bringing people in to both DHS and EWWS that would not normally come on property.

To those that hope EWWS does an event, it's not going to happen. There is simply not enough outdoor, non-grass to work with out there for the same set-up. On top of that, the MLS cup they did there and the boxing both did not do well as it was. They learned that charging insane prices for sub-par sports does not work when it takes effort to get to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Neat event - but not good enough (or high capacity enough) to really charge as a separate event.. so they can't convert it to a hard ticket event and I wonder how much the event actually added to the bottom line attendance.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more a pull back by ESPN - rather then WDW.

The event may have reached saturation and hence lost it's ability to attract new guests.

No revenue... no new guests.. why continue? Or if ESPN changes the rules and wants P&R to pay more for the event... there could be lots of reasons for this to go away.

Personally... I say 'cya'. Another idea that has ran it's course I think. I do think doing some sort of fair or expo based out of WWOS would be a better plan. WWOS needs the draw - not DHS.. and might provide a better way to monetize the event.

wilkeliza

Although I'm not really a huge sports fan I was just thinking maybe Disney can't afford to get the high profile athletes into the parks any more. As years go by people tend to want more for press stunts so season passes a little padding money isn't cutting it any more or whatever the athletes were getting isn't cutting it any more. I just know a lot of contracts that have been negotiated recently have been massive and so maybe Disney just didn't feel like shelling out so much money for athletes was worth the money of a few day park boost. Just a thought.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
I can understand both sides of this arguement but, think of all the unique and special events that have been cut over the last few years;

1: Lights Of Winter
2: Grad Nights
3: Pleasure Island
4: Monorails For EMH
5: ESPN Weekends

Now there is 5 things that may impact where and how many people vacation during the year!!

These are places/events/perks that made going to WDW an experience u just dont get anywhere else! The more these things are cut the less there is to seperate WDW from other vacation spots!

llrain

Dont give them that much credit. I think about 99% of this list is within the last year only.
Cant believe that they are doing all these cuts. Dont forget the World Showcase cuts recently made too.
man I hate the corporate system of our country. money hungry and do whatever it takes for the stockholders.

I can understand both sides of this arguement but, think of all the unique and special events that have been cut over the last few years;

1: Lights Of Winter
2: Grad Nights
3: Pleasure Island
4: Monorails For EMH
5: ESPN Weekends

Now there is 5 things that may impact where and how many people vacation during the year!!

These are places/events/perks that made going to WDW an experience u just dont get anywhere else! The more these things are cut the less there is to seperate WDW from other vacation spots!

PHSCoach

Finally got to go to my first ESPN the Weekend last spring. Glad I was able to go, now I better make the Star Wars Weekend this year before they get rid of that one also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom