No more cobblestone in France Pavilion?

Prototype82

Original Poster
I've been browsing instagram and reading bits of from other news outlets...What is up with the flat brown pavement that's making its way onto the Parisian Street? It would greatly damage the look and feel of the pavilion to lose the cobblestone look entirely... Anyone know what's up?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've been browsing instagram and reading bits of from other news outlets...What is up with the flat brown pavement that's making its way onto the Parisian Street? It would greatly damage the look and feel of the pavilion to lose the cobblestone look entirely... Anyone know what's up?
In the fountain area towards the theatre? Tree removal. New ones should be back next spring.

RandySavage

It's not just the area by the removed trees. The winding street leading to les halles is having the "cobblestone" removed in favor of smooth concrete. There have been photo reports on other WDW sites.

I just assumed it's one of the now-standard Charm Diminishments that WDW frequently institutes in the name of "safety" or "easier" guest access (e.g. along the lines of roof ropes & curb, bench, tree/planter removal).

Prototype82

Original Poster
It's not just the area by the removed trees. The winding street leading to les halles is having the "cobblestone" removed in favor of smooth concrete. There have been photo reports on other WDW sites.

I just assumed it's one of the now-standard Charm Diminishments that WDW has frequently-instituted in the name of "safety" or "easier" guest access (e.g. along the lines of curb, bench, tree/planter removal).
I assumed this too. It looks horrendous. I am hoping it doesn't replace the entire stretch of the pavilion. It's just plain bad. There are ways of theming to make things smoother. I guess it's that they don't want to put the effort into it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As European governments have discovered over time, cobblestones are dangerous. Disgruntled citizens often pull them up and use them as weapons against the local police when they're sent in to quell mass disturbances.

Given that the employees in the pavilion are French natives, and in consideration of the current climate in France, WDW management opted for the safer (and considerably less expensive) slab concrete approach.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I just assumed it's one of the now-standard Charm Diminishments that WDW frequently institutes in the name of "safety" or "easier" guest access (e.g. along the lines of roof ropes & curb, bench, tree/planter removal).
I asked. No one knows why.

incase anyone wonders what the fuss is about:

C7D16683-77B7-4628-AF0C-9903C91E56E5.jpeg
C3C53105-1581-41A7-929E-1CC85200EABF.jpeg
55CE5510-D561-42EC-AB4A-05DDF5E5E01C.jpeg

Gringrinngghost

Budgeting most likely asked Legal what if any viable sum from someone tripping was going to be. Legal most likely told them greater than $15,000 and budging promptly proclaimed "We are hemorrhaging money" whilst forgetting that the company spent over a years worth of Revenue to control 38.2% of the box office and that they are going to go bankrupt from having to pay higher wages whilst marking prices up by double digits and having record profits. That's not accounting the tickets and gift cards they gave out for those who couldn't get into MK, the Skyliner incident nor the accommodations for Rise of the Resistance, which if anything they would loose very minimal.

Moral of this sarcastic story: Free tickets, and $50&$100 giftcards are less expensive then one $15,000 settlement if any were to actually happen.

peter11435

Budgeting most likely asked Legal what if any viable sum from someone tripping was going to be. Legal most likely told them greater than $15,000 and budging promptly proclaimed "We are hemorrhaging money" whilst forgetting that the company spent over a years worth of Revenue to control 38.2% of the box office and that they are going to go bankrupt from having to pay higher wages whilst marking prices up by double digits and having record profits. That's not accounting the tickets and gift cards they gave out for those who couldn't get into MK, the Skyliner incident nor the accommodations for Rise of the Resistance, which if anything they would loose very minimal.

Moral of this sarcastic story: Free tickets, and $50&$100 giftcards are less expensive then one $15,000 settlement if any were to actually happen.
No

tirian

As European governments have discovered over time, cobblestones are dangerous. Disgruntled citizens often pull them up and use them as weapons against the local police when they're sent in to quell mass disturbances.

Given that the employees in the pavilion are French natives, and in consideration of the current climate in France, WDW management opted for the safer (and considerably less expensive) slab concrete approach.
The stamped concrete must’ve been a trigger. Disney needs to make sure all its CMs work in a safe space for snowflakes. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom