NO lawsuit in death of boy at GF

COProgressFan

Disney has more then likely already paid them off.

I imagine Disney recognized the importance of just quietly settling this upfront, as soon as possible. Had a suit been brought, it would never have made it to court and been settled anyway. Disney would rather just pay a settlement now, if only to keep it from continuing to appear in the press.

It was a horrific situation everyone would just like to move on from. I know the family can never move on, though.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I hope this brings closure from a media aspect to this case. As a parent of little ones, it still breaks my heart and brings a tear to my eye to even think about this horrific tragedy. I recall taking the ferry last week and staring out at GF and just having a feeling of overwhelming sadness hit me. I'm very happy to hear they established the foundation for the boy.

Also agree with all of the other posters, Disney definitely handled this right away behind closed doors which is probably a big reason why no lawsuit is coming.

TikiTorch

I have personally been in a situation before where I assumed that someone would sue me or my organization/employer. But they didn't. Instead, everyone involved met privately, with no lawyers present, to compassionately share details of the event that occurred. I mention this to say: not everyone goes the lawsuit route. I'm 100% certain Disney is a major contributor to the fund. But we shouldn't assume that they ever even planned to sue. Maybe they didn't.

Tom P.

I must admit, I'm surprised at this. I would have assumed a lawsuit would be automatic, but I think that reaction comes more from the fact that we live in a lawsuit-happy culture than from the facts of the story.

All I can say is that whatever direction the parents choose to go, I hope everyone continues to pray for them. I cannot imagine -- and hope to God I never can! -- what they are going through. I hope that the foundation they are establishing in Lane's name brings them some small measure of comfort, and does some good for others as well.

steviej

we shouldn't assume that they ever even planned to sue. Maybe they didn't.

I'd love it if you were right, but everyone is so lawsuit happy (see suing mcdonalds cause they got fat or suing Dunkin Donuts cause the coffee was too hot)

My cousin was hit behind in a car accident and she was thrilled so she could sue! She did and won over $6,000.

ToTBellHop

I'd love it if you were right, but everyone is so lawsuit happy (see suing mcdonalds cause they got fat or suing Dunkin Donuts cause the coffee was too hot)

My cousin was hit behind in a car accident and she was thrilled so she could sue! She did and won over $6,000.
You are using one case study and one piece of anecdotal evidence to support your claim that "everyone is...lawsuit happy."

Some people are lawsuit-happy. And some of them get a lot of money and make headlines. Most people do not receive multi-million dollar pay-offs.

I'm sure Disney offered to compensate this family in some way. They may have insisted that all of the money go to this foundation. We will never know. But making assumptions about a family going through grief most of us (I would hope) cannot sympathize with is awful.

Something as simple as a trip-and-fall occurs all the time at Disney. Not everyone tries to sue over that.

21stamps

My heart breaks for this family. Hopefully they are able to find some kind of peace. I can't even imagine.

They sound like good and classy people. Could others show a bit of the same and not automatically assume they didn't sue because the "received a pay off"? That's a pretty insulting claim. Not everyone is out to make millions from a tragic accident.

wdwfan22

My heart breaks for this family. Hopefully they are able to find some kind of peace. I can't even imagine.

They sound like good and classy people. Could others show a bit of the same and not automatically assume they didn't sue because the "received a pay off"? That's a pretty insulting claim. Not everyone is out to make millions from a tragic accident.

You really think they didn't receive compensation from Disney? I'm sorry but I don't buy that one bit.

steviej

So some of you are saying that there's no chance that Disney pulled the family behind closed doors and said, "we are so sorry for your tragedy (and genuinely meaning that), we want this to go away as fast as possible as we're sure you do too. So what do you say? Here's (insert offer here), and you never have to work again."

The fact of the matter is, Disney is on the NYSE, and Mr. Iger answers to a board of directors. And to put it bluntly, the board of directors doesn't care about Lane Graves, they don't care about the alligators, they don't care about any of us, they don't care about the images that Lane's parents will live over again and again in their lives. All they care about is their wallets.

And it happens every single day with thousands of companies in America. That's a fact.

EDITED: maybe saying the BoD doesn't care was a tad harsh, however, their wallets are their # 1 priority.

cheesecake

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. and Mrs. Graves. They've been through something horrible, but are not looking for vengeance. This was a horrible, tragic accident, and I think all the Graves want is to put their sweet boy to rest, and find a way to move forward with their lives.

Edited to Add: I do believe Disney gave the Graves family a very significant settlement, not that it will ever do anything to heal their broken hearts. Whether the family chooses to keep it, use it, donate it or whatever is up to them. I don't think giving the family money or the family accepting the money is right or wrong. Just what is expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom