No IMAX to DTD?

Slipknot

Original Poster
I was looking at times for movies at AMC's website and figured I would check if there was a date instead of a TBA for DTDs IMAX. Instead, there is no info about any IMAX coming to DTD. Did I miss something or is this news to others here?

chaggy102

The AMC in DTD will not be getting an IMAX, not anytime soon atleast. There were plans for them to get one but it feel through...I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into another AMC is buying the former Virgin thread.

s8film40

There really has been quite a bit of damage to the "IMAX" name lately with all these new popular movies being "shown" in "IMAX" even though they weren't shot in the format. It amazes me how people will think something is magically better than it really is just because they go and put the word "IMAX" on it and blow the image up past its resolution. I think people are quickly forgetting what true IMAX is really like.

Here in Columbus, the theatre that used to have IMAX sold it to a nearby AMC and went with one of the cheaper-licensed brands. The AMC basically took the old screen out, and somehow wedged the IMAX screen in, without changing the seating/flooring, and possibly not even installing the sound system (they didn't do the little light show before the feature, showing off all the speaker rigs behind the screen and in the rear).

"Retrofitting" a theatre for IMAX this way is awful, if that was the original plan for the DTD AMC. You don't get the feeling of actually moving when the seats aren't sloped properly down to the screen edge. This theatre had plush seats with full head rests too, so you can't tilt your head back far enough to see the whole screen. I think I enjoyed "Star Trek" better on a properly proportioned regular screen.

I agree with the upconverting stuff a bit too. I enjoyed seeing Matrix sequels on IMAX in an IMAX theatre though - you got the sensation of movement with the hovercraft scenes, even if they cheated with just enlarging the 35mm print to 70mm.

For the large-format system with the highest licensing fees, I'd think IMAX would be protecting their brand quality a bit better.

Jasonflz

:( That's a shame. It would be nice to have an IMAX in DTD, however, the theaters that are there currently are very nice quality and I am glad to have just that.

TestTrack

I was very ed off when I went to see I am legend in Imax only to realize that the resolution of the image projected was obviously not IMAX quality.

There is very little reason to be saddened that there is no "fake IMAX" at DTD.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Am I the only one that thinks it's a waste of time to be in a movie theater while in WDW?
Not alone but you are not looking at the situation from anyone's point of view but your own. Disney is more than attractions. I love being in the parks more than anyone I know and I have taken in several movies while at WDW. Some of them were due to the one time lack of digital screens where I live. (ie Attack of the clones) others were due to limited releases (NBC in 3D) while others were due to rainy conditions or my wife and I simply wanting to see a movie together.

In regards to IMAX at DTD....if they are not going full tilt IMAX then I do not see a point in it. IMAX lite is barely acceptable in a normal theater but not at WDW.

Figment632

Not alone but you are not looking at the situation from anyone's point of view but your own. Disney is more than attractions. I love being in the parks more than anyone I know and I have taken in several movies while at WDW. Some of them were due to the one time lack of digital screens where I live. (ie Attack of the clones) others were due to limited releases (NBC in 3D) while others were due to rainy conditions or my wife and I simply wanting to see a movie together.

I have watched several movies in DTD, it was under protest but I guess if you are in WDW for an extended period of time?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have watched several movies in DTD, it was under protest but I guess if you are in WDW for an extended period of time?
I have never been there longer than a week. Most of my trips are between 1-3 days. Just because I can do it at home does not mean that I will not do it in WDW.

worldfanatic

We never plan to hit the movies when at WDW, just not a priority for us.

Although if a new "event" movie has just come out, it can be fun to experience it there.
We saw 'Signs' at DTD the day it came out.
It was a blast!! Packed theatre, great movie.

To this day, whenever I see that movie, it reminds me of WDW.

Great article. So the screen is smaller. I swear they didn't increase the slope of the seats from what it already was though, maybe it was already "acceptable."

I'm torn between trying sitting farther back or just never going back to an IMAX lite. Very disappointing.

In regards to IMAX at DTD....if they are not going full tilt IMAX then I do not see a point in it. IMAX lite is barely acceptable in a normal theater but not at WDW.

I agree, WDW has to plus it.

jakeman

While movies are never a priority for us on our vacations, when we lived there it was the closest/nicest movie theatre around.

Now that the Loop has opened at John Young and Osceola, I don't think any of our friends who remain down there go to DTD for movies anymore.

We did actually go to the movies our last trip down (I can't remember why), and the AMC was a ghost town. It could have just been the time we went (I think it was midweek), but I don't remember seeing it that empty throughout my college program or while we lived there a few years later.

The theatre is also showing it's age ever so slightly. It definitely has that mid-90s vibe to it now and could stand to be remodelled, but it probably has about 5-10 more years before it is straight up ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom